Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by cra1948
Only Browning rifle I ever liked was my Belgian.22 auto. I just got rid of it. If I still had the farm and went walking out back with a light, open sighted.22 I’d have kept it, but…

A couple friends have had the BAR’s over the years, a 7 RM and a .30-06 that I can recall specifically. I always felt they were over-sized and awkward; maybe it’s just the styling I don’t like.

I feel the same about the BLR. My brother has a couple of those as do a couple friends. I’ve had to work on them. Overly complicated and delicate mechanisms IMHO. They do shoot well.

All those newer Browning rifles look to me like something designed by an interior decorator who doesn’t hunt.

The originals were oversized, awkward and heavy.

In high school my uncles hung up after the first shot I got at a running coyote. 30-06.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first hunting rifle was a BAR .270. Heavy but accurate. Sold it.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never owned an older BAR. I always thought, in the right chambering for hunting in dark timber, it would be a good choice.

I did buy a used MK3 in 300 WSM. I actually love the lightweight rifle more than I thought I ever would.

Shockingly, it is damn accurate with Federal 190 grain box ammo. I haven’t killed anything with it though. Kinda telling, I hate hunting dark timber.

🦫

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Beaver10

20'?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I was obsessed with my dads BAR 300 win mag as a kid. I can’t tell you how many miles I hiked behind him on elk hunts looking at that rifle slung across his back. And I can’t even begin to guess how many elk and mule deer that rifle has taken. He killed his first one with it in around 1968 and his last one with it in 2018 the week of his 84th birthday. I saved every penny I could and bought one in 270 when I was around 17 and thought I was king of the world. Both rifles are in my safe still to this day. I’ve got dozens of other ones now but those two hold a special place in my heart.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7’ft...Almost kissing the muzzle.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I really dislike the long action heavy "big" ones but i used Sandbillys BAR ShortTrack in 308 after tracking up a buck that went into heavy mesquote bedding cover knowing any shot would be at a jumped, running buck.

I dry fired the gun a couple of times and found it of nice weight and well balanced.

We jumped this buck from his bed in.heavy cover a though i was a bit slow deciding if it was big enough due to the thick, big mesquite and hard to class the rack i was able to hit it 2 out of 3 shots running.

It scored 260 gross and 250 net and was the No3 Desert Muley registered for SCI in the world at the time it was initially measured.

I really like the Browning Short Track rifle needless to say. It would be hard to beat for someone who likes to sneak hunt in woods or sit and watch feeding or travel areas.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
7’ft...Almost kissing the muzzle.

🦫

Love the rifle, hate the chambering.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
They balance great but kinda heavy overall.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Imagine how depressed that deer felt after being shot by Corky with Corky's deer rifle that Corky never seen before.

LOL

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Never owned an older BAR. I always thought, in the right chambering for hunting in dark timber, it would be a good choice.

I did buy a used MK3 in 300 WSM. I actually love the lightweight rifle more than I thought I ever would.

Shockingly, it is damn accurate with Federal 190 grain box ammo. I haven’t killed anything with it though. Kinda telling, I hate hunting dark timber.

🦫

You were right, Beav, as usual.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by deflave

Imagine how depressed that deer felt after being shot by Corky with Corky's deer rifle that Corky never seen before.

LOL

Hey, if you're good, you're good. You can get it done with the tool at hand. You'll really just have to take my word for it.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hey, if you're good, you're good. You can get it done with the tool at hand. You'll really just have to take my word for it.

Was that a paid hunt or was Sandbilly just being a great friend?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really dislike the long action heavy "big" ones but i used Sandbillys BAR ShortTrack in 308 after tracking up a buck that went into heavy mesquote bedding cover knowing any shot would be at a jumped, running buck.

I dry fired the gun a couple of times and found it of nice weight and well balanced.

We jumped this buck from his bed in.heavy cover a though i was a bit slow deciding if it was big enough due to the thick, big mesquite and hard to class the rack i was able to hit it 2 out of 3 shots running.

It scored 260 gross and 250 net and was the No3 Desert Muley registered for SCI in the world at the time it was initially measured.

I really like the Browning Short Track rifle needless to say. It would be hard to beat for someone who likes to sneak hunt in woods or sit and watch feeding or travel areas.

BADASS!!!

👍🏼

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

BADASS!!!

👍🏼

Speaking of paid hunts...

LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

BADASS!!!

👍🏼

LOL

Jealous Much ? And I seriously doubt Doc’s ever been on a paid hunt in his life. And he always brings the correct caliber ammo for the gun he’s hunting with. 😂😂😂

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/29/22.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like mine. MK2, aluminum receiver, 20.5” bbl, 270 Win.

Kills Texas whitetails and hogs dead.

Bought it used, with unknown round count. I’ve run 600-700 rounds through it, and never had a FTF or FTE.

Shoots a couple of different handloads at <1/2 MOA, and Hornady American Whitetail 130s at 0.75 MOA.

I’ve got a 130gr load over RL26 that shoots sub MOA at almost 3200 fps.

Note: This gun does not like slow burning powders, as the timing is off with the fixed gas block - which beats up the brass.

Attached Images
Last edited by Stammster; 09/29/22.
J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Yep , Belguim made .
30/06 , the only BAR I have owned .
This one never jammed and shot better than a lot of bolt guns .
Growing up hunting with bubba military guns , the BAR trigger was no problem to manage .
Estate 150 gr , blue box 180’s ,and core lokt 220 gr shot exceptionally well in it .
So well reloading was pointless as it was a hunting rifle , not a target gun .
My mag swung open .
Wanted one for years , but culling of the collection became a priority and was one of the chosen .
Kenneth

Shot one for years dog running deer in Mississippi. Use a ghost ring for a back sight. 30/06.
Hasn’t been babied at all. Feed it core locks whatever grain you choose from 150 to 180. I guess I’ll be one of those that’s never had a problem yet.

It’s not a range gun, and I bought it used. I have no idea how many rounds were shot through it before I got it, and I’ve shot it less than a 100 times for sure. Honestly, I don’t know if it’s ever been taken down and cleaned. I’ve wiped it off with oil….that’s it

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

BADASS!!!

👍🏼

LOL

Whoa. I took you for a joker, not a liar. I really took you for above that. HE knows.

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Or naysayers?
I'm talking about the modern Browning semi-automatic rifle, not the bad-ass military BAR.
I'm considering getting one in .243, 7mm-08 or .270. Does anyone know if there is any difference in dimensions between the short-action (.243 and 7mm-08) and long action (.270, .30-06, etc)? The Browning website doesn't show any difference in dimensions or weight, but y'all know how websites are....

The rifle will be used primarily for southeastern whitetail deer. Help me pick a caliber.😊

Choot man, go buy one be if you like them. For advice, get a 7/08. It’ll kill anything in North Carolina for sure. And the recoil should be like a mother’s kiss. I still have the 30/06 I got for Christmas 1968. Only problem is it tends to not extract. The product of don’t take it apart you’ll never get it back together training on the part of my well meaning daddy. What decades of not cleaning the gas system did is pit and corrode. Maybe one day I’ll replace the parts and hunt with it one more time. Probably not.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.