Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Had one in 30-06 about 25 years ago. Sold it to buy a wedding ring. Best trade I ever made.

G23

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a BAR Safari with BOSS in 300 WSM. I have both ported BOSS and the solid BOSS. Shooting that thing with the ported BOSS without ear protection will definitely ruin your day. I leave the solid one on especially when hunting.

It shoots great.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I bought a 300 WSM Browning ShortTrac a few years ago, but I could never get the accuracy I was hoping for, traded it .

Last edited by steve4102; 09/29/22.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll put in a plug for the BAR. I have personally owned two, an older steel frame 06' and a newer alloy MKIII .243 Lwt. I hate to sound cliche but both of those rifles easily break under 1" groups at 100 yards with loads they like. And, get ready for it... neither has ever malfunctioned. The .30-06 uses my handload of a 180 gr. Sierra SBT GK over H4350 at 2735 fps and kills deer and hogs easy peasy. It's a little heavy, the trigger is light but mushy, but it is a solid hunting rifle. The .243 has the alloy receiver and a 20" barrel and is one of the least fussy rifles I've ever owned. Pretty much whatever I stuff in the magazine shoots well, some of it shoots really well. Deer and predator calling is what I use it for most often. It gets the job done...

Last edited by MOGC; 09/29/22.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This might still be available in our classifieds.

Last price on 9/17/22 $1300 shipped

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17553970/1

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
why do they have such bad triggers? Like the concept. Does trigger tech make a trigger for a BAR?

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by MOGC
I'll put in a plug for the BAR. I have personally owned two, an older steel frame 06' and a newer alloy MKIII .243 Lwt. I hate to sound cliche but both of those rifles easily break under 1" groups at 100 yards with loads they like. And, get ready for it... neither has ever malfunctioned. The .30-06 uses my handload of a 180 gr. Sierra SBT GK over H4350 at 2735 fps and kills deer and hogs easy peasy. It's a little heavy, the trigger is light but mushy, but it is a solid hunting rifle. The .243 has the alloy receiver and a 20" barrel and is one of the least fussy rifles I've ever owned. Pretty much whatever I stuff in the magazine shoots well, some of it shoots really well. Deer and predator calling is what I use it for most often. It gets the job done...

Really about all anyone needs, a 243 and 06.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I had a late 60s BAR in 300 win mag .it shot real well.

Still have mine and it shoots well, no jams and MOA plus. I'm looking for one in 308.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a .30/06, about a gazillion years ago. I think I bought it in 1980, so it was the all-steel model. I kept it clean, and it shot 1.5" regularly, with any ammo I cared to shoot in it. No issues whatsoever. I sold/swapped it for something or other, probably a 1911 of some sort, but it was a nice rifle, although a bit heavier than I really like. I wasn't much of a rifle shot in those days, but it shot 1.5 regularly "all day long", as they say. I usually shot 165s in it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ribka
why do they have such bad triggers? Like the concept. Does trigger tech make a trigger for a BAR?

I have owned a dozen at least and I never had one of these "bad" triggers. I looked at a MK3 yesterday and it had an excellent trigger . No one makes an aftermarket trigger for them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jstocks
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Yep , Belguim made .
30/06 , the only BAR I have owned .
This one never jammed and shot better than a lot of bolt guns .
Growing up hunting with bubba military guns , the BAR trigger was no problem to manage .
Estate 150 gr , blue box 180’s ,and core lokt 220 gr shot exceptionally well in it .
So well reloading was pointless as it was a hunting rifle , not a target gun .
My mag swung open .
Wanted one for years , but culling of the collection became a priority and was one of the chosen .
Kenneth

Shot one for years dog running deer in Mississippi. Use a ghost ring for a back sight. 30/06.
Hasn’t been babied at all. Feed it core locks whatever grain you choose from 150 to 180. I guess I’ll be one of those that’s never had a problem yet.

It’s not a range gun, and I bought it used. I have no idea how many rounds were shot through it before I got it, and I’ve shot it less than a 100 times for sure. Honestly, I don’t know if it’s ever been taken down and cleaned. I’ve wiped it off with oil….that’s it

Lots of dog hunters here in the 80's, my neighbor brought his BAR to me with the trigger locked up. Got it apart to find a stick jammed inside. He won't afraid to use his!

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Geez, I just took a little trip over to gunbroker. Those Browning’s have sure went up.

I remember I paid $525 dealer cost on the 300 win mag. I’m thinking 1989ish.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by viking
Geez, I just took a little trip over to gunbroker. Those Browning’s have sure went up.

I remember I paid $525 dealer cost on the 300 win mag. I’m thinking 1989ish.

What has not gone up ? Lot of used ones on the market and most are not abused.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Triggernosis, have you quit work yet?

You'll have plenty of time to cruse the shops looking for a BAR safe queen!

I bought 2 more 1911's last week, I think some of the free money guns are showing up now.

One of the 1911's was unfired,

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never had one they are heavy. Allways wanted the 1918 model it served the US mighty fine for years , shrapnel says they work on elk fine. The Garand would be more practical, wished I would have kept one of mine. The M1A really would make more sense though in a 308 but a scope needs a high mount then a cheek riser to use it. Which brings us to a AR-10 which you can build to suit with magazines that offer other uses and solidly mounted scopes . Trigger choices for all the trigger whiners. Come to think of it a guy could allways use fingernail polish on the buttstock and write " the BAR I NEVER HAD" if you need that support of course. Triggernosis you were one of the first users of Ivermectin for covid 19 on the 24hr campfire, don't get f'ing stupid now..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have BARs from 1969 to 1990 in 300WM and 338WM.

The gas system is not adjustable..... or is it?

If FALs have adjustable by pass gas, BARs have fixed jets.

With an FAL one can tune the gas bypass with a turn of a knob. This adjusts the rifle to the ammo. Enough gas to operate without jamming[small enough bypass hole], not so much gas the bolt hammers the frame [big enough bypass hole]. The recoil buffer helps a little with frame hammering. Check out the condition of that part.

But a BAR regulator is fixed. I like to load really hot [11 gr more H4350 for 140gr than Hodgdon says is max], and tune the rifle to the ammo.

The regulator in a BAR is just a 9/16-24 ultra fine thread bolt with a hole in
it. If FALs have adjustable by pass gas, BARs have fixed jets.

It is easier to modify a different cartridge regulator than to fabricate a regulator from a piece of steel. I have done both. [Look for a lack of bluing to spot the one I fabricated from scratch]

a) 7mm Mag is .066" hole
b) 300 Mag is .077" hole [p/n B3176146]
c) 338 Mag is .059" hole
d) My home made is .078" hole
e) recoil buffer [p/n B3176065]

[Linked Image]
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-bar/parts.html

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jstocks
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Yep , Belguim made .
30/06 , the only BAR I have owned .
This one never jammed and shot better than a lot of bolt guns .
Growing up hunting with bubba military guns , the BAR trigger was no problem to manage .
Estate 150 gr , blue box 180’s ,and core lokt 220 gr shot exceptionally well in it .
So well reloading was pointless as it was a hunting rifle , not a target gun .
My mag swung open .
Wanted one for years , but culling of the collection became a priority and was one of the chosen .
Kenneth

Shot one for years dog running deer in Mississippi. Use a ghost ring for a back sight. 30/06.
Hasn’t been babied at all. Feed it core locks whatever grain you choose from 150 to 180. I guess I’ll be one of those that’s never had a problem yet.

It’s not a range gun, and I bought it used. I have no idea how many rounds were shot through it before I got it, and I’ve shot it less than a 100 times for sure. Honestly, I don’t know if it’s ever been taken down and cleaned. I’ve wiped it off with oil….that’s it
"Though shalt never take apart a Browning A5 or it will never work 100% properly again" was good advice my father gave me. I'm betting it applies to the BAR and BLR also.
Pulling a bore snake through the barrel of a BAR or BLR is probably all they need.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blindshooter

I bought 2 more 1911's last week, I think some of the free money guns are showing up now.

I'm kinda on what we called "terminal leave" in the military, meaning I'm burning vacation time and only go into the office about 1 day a week now until I officially retire in April.

Where are some recommended shops to look for guns in our area?
Keep your eyes open for me, brother!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Never had one they are heavy. Allways wanted the 1918 model it served the US mighty fine for years , shrapnel says they work on elk fine. The Garand would be more practical, wished I would have kept one of mine. The M1A really would make more sense though in a 308 but a scope needs a high mount then a cheek riser to use it. Which brings us to a AR-10 which you can build to suit with magazines that offer other uses and solidly mounted scopes . Trigger choices for all the trigger whiners. Come to think of it a guy could allways use fingernail polish on the buttstock and write " the BAR I NEVER HAD" if you need that support of course. Triggernosis you were one of the first users of Ivermectin for covid 19 on the 24hr campfire, don't get f'ing stupid now..mb
Dat's some funny sheet right there. 😄😄😄😄

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by blindshooter

I'm kinda on what we called "terminal leave" in the military, meaning I'm burning vacation time and only go into the office about 1 day a week now until I officially retire in April.

Where are some recommended shops to look for guns in our area?
Keep your eyes open for me, brother!

Will do!
I stump around in them all, pawn shops LGS, mostly around Goldsboro.

I've purchased several from 4 seasons on Ash st Goldsboro, typical help but they price used stuff reasonable an will order anything and not rob you too bad. They keep some powder on hand even some 8 lb jugs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure if they still offer this service or not but years ago you could send the BAR trigger group to Timney triggers and for $70 they would smooth, lighten and give the trigger a crisper break. Timney would also do that for the Remington family of shotguns and rifles like the 870, 1100, 760 and 742. Knock the pins out of the receiver, drop out the fire control group and send it to Timney with $70 payment and return shipping cost. In a couple weeks it would come back home much improved.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
147 members (44mc, 163bc, 338reddog, 257 mag, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 537 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,241
Posts18,371,462
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.