Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by deflave
I know a bunch of people in Tampa and they’re fine.

I know a bunch of people in Orlando and they’re fine.

I know a bunch of people in Broward and Miami-Dade counties and they’re all fine.

I know people in North Port. They’re all fine.

I know a bunch of people in the Keys, they’re all fine.

I know one guy in Ft. Meyer. His place is fugked.

Get the idea?

You know a bunch of people?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finally heard that my wife's cousin is ok. After we talked last night no one heard a peep out of her.

Cell is crap around the port Charlotte area as can be imagined. Couple of hours ago she got a message to my father in law saying all is good. Generator is still running and she's just trying to clean their place up the best she can do. Her husband is stuck up here in MI, since I'm sure they aren't letting anyone back into the area.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
👍

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
All is mostly good. Still in Sarasota. Just got cell. Still no internet at the house . Power only out 10 hours. Uncle still out of power took his freezer food yesterday to save it. Heavy rain and scary winds carrying debries. Saw a tree limb hit the flag pole across the street and snap it at the base. Not some flimsy diy pole either. We lowered the pool but it filled up to close to over flow and then the power went out so we ran a submerable pump off a genny to keep the pool down or it would have flooded into the house. Lots of down trees, pool screens, awning and windows blown. Big oaks down everwhere but all family properties good with just a few trees down and no building damage. Pretty wiped out been cleaning debries from sewers grates to clear and avoid flooding but rain never came after it passed so good luck up this way. Cell & text went off and on and now back on got a bunch of text and voicemails. My cousin in Ft Meyers works for a small tight-knit outfit and the bosses home is gone. They were rescued from the attic.

Without any internet, TV or cell until cell this AM we know little outside of our area. Prayers to those in areas sout of here.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MtnHiker
All is mostly good. Still in Sarasota. Just got cell. Still no internet at the house . Power only out 10 hours. Uncle still out of power took his freezer food yesterday to save it. Heavy rain and scary winds carrying debries. Saw a tree limb hit the flag pole across the street and snap it at the base. Not some flimsy diy pole either. We lowered the pool but it filled up to close to over flow and then the power went out so we ran a submerable pump off a genny to keep the pool down or it would have flooded into the house. Lots of down trees, pool screens, awning and windows blown. Big oaks down everwhere but all family properties good with just a few trees down and no building damage. Pretty wiped out been cleaning debries from sewers grates to clear and avoid flooding but rain never came after it passed so good luck up this way. Cell & text went off and on and now back on got a bunch of text and voicemails. My cousin in Ft Meyers works for a small tight-knit outfit and the bosses home is gone. They were rescued from the attic.

Without any internet, TV or cell until cell this AM we know little outside of our area. Prayers to those in areas sout of here.

Where does all the water go if you don’t have a pool?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnHiker

Where does all the water go if you don’t have a pool?
Besides that you need that pool water to flush the toilets. Florida cistern.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
And hopefully their internet starts working so they can get some info.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
How were these two outside? Almost looks like they were blown from their garage or something.

[Linked Image from i.dailymail.co.uk]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My cousins lost their summer place on Sanibel. The death count is rising. So much for the Florida might just get some rain next week predictions..Here in Jax fortunately turned out to be just that, wind and rain. Jacksonville's always been fortunate...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Longbob
How were these two outside? Almost looks like they were blown from their garage or something.

That is the power of water (storm surge) that did that IMHO.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
I know a bunch of people in Tampa and they’re fine.

I know a bunch of people in Orlando and they’re fine.

I know a bunch of people in Broward and Miami-Dade counties and they’re all fine.

I know people in North Port. They’re all fine.

I know a bunch of people in the Keys, they’re all fine.

I know one guy in Ft. Meyer. His place is fugked.

Get the idea?

Did you talk to any of the dead people? Are they fine?

If two million are without power, that’s only about 10% of the Florida population, but that’s still two million people without power.

Even two hundred dead would be insignificant on a scale of twenty-one million, but however many it is, as you point out, they’re still dead.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The vast majority of the state is perfectly fine.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fuqk that place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Floaters.

150mph isn't so likely to blow a heavier car over before it'd of blown all the glass outta the front of that house.

Code don't allow for the underside of stilt homes to be enclosed, water has to flow through. You'll see some ground level walls but they have to be 'break-away' so they'll shear away in high winds or if pushed by flowing water.

Had a friend damn near killed by one when it fell over as he attempted to leave his stilt home during a storm.

When I see these homes, like this one, that people have spent millions building, idunno why I've never seen one with a elevated garage or parking built in at the same level as the home.

You know what a PITA it is carrying all you groceries, every piece of furniture and all your appliances up a set of stairs?

Maybe 5 to 10% of the stilt homes in my area have elevators but few are capable of accommodating furniture or appliances, maybe 1 in 100.

Of course real people that build in heavily flood prone areas, such as myself, build as well as they can, as simple as they can.

A realistic 12 or 1400 sf home that you can afford to replace if destroyed.
I put more into the decks around my home to make up for needed square footage for entertainment purposes.

Maybe it's the same for guys that own homes and cars such as the one in this image, they just have lots fatter bank accounts than I do. But if that's the case, why didn't they include an elevated enclosed garage in the build!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jeeper

That is the power of water (storm surge) that did that IMHO.

That was my thought also when I saw all the sand and silt. The water is incredibly powerful. Nice pair of cars. Wonder if one or both is a Hemi or maybe 440s.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They’ve got schools shut down and businesses closing up around here. Probably 150 miles from the coast.

🤪

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Imagine what it would be like if that predicted 18' surge had actualized. Reporting indicates it was about half that.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If those Birds were original they are toast now. Submersoin in salt water will turn them into junk. What a loss!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Docbill
If those Birds were original they are toast now. Submersoin in salt water will turn them into junk. What a loss!!

Original they'll never be again, if I wanted to attempt a restoration I'd find me a fresh water lake or tank asap and submerge them until I was ready to strip them down to the frame and begin the restore.

Maybe my neighbor would let me borrow his swimming pool for a few weeks😉

Geno67 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Docbill

Original they'll never be again, if I wanted to attempt a restoration I'd find me a fresh water lake or tank asap and submerge them until I was ready to strip them down to the frame and begin the restore.

Maybe my neighbor would let me borrow his swimming pool for a few weeks😉

Yep. Quite an undertaking but worth it in the long run if you're going to keep them. Resell value just went to crap if you're honest.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
484 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 257man, 16penny, 222ND, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,230
Posts18,371,278
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.