Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DANNYL
I just looked and yes it does, didn't see it before. I've only done a few and when my mixing container was hard I pulled them apart, cleaned up some of material, put on more release agent and put it back together till the next day.

Taking any epoxy apart before it's cured interrupts...and basically stops...the chemical bonding activity. That chemical bonding activity is why mfgs. expressly specify a specific cure time.

Disrupting an epoxy at 25% of it's cure time (6 hrs. into a 24 hr. cure time) is not going to produce good results. It may seem 'hard' but it won't be completely bonded to the substrate (the stock).

Just sayin'..... -Al

Forbidden Zoner
BP-B2

DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like I'll have to go at it again. If I was to shoot and satisfied then there's a chance since it hadn't cured correctly this could change and not for the better?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The long term durability will definitely be compromised. And the durability is what really seperates a good bedding material from dozens of others that might seem like they'd work.

It sounds like you've got a good handle on the process. smile I'd not compromise, at this point.

Good shootin' smile -Al

P.S. There's always the freezer. I hear all the really smart gurus use 'em..... wink

Forbidden Zoner
DANNYL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Appreciate it Al

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used Bedrock once. A kit.

The tubing was nice to have, some of the other stuff too.
Didn't care for the epoxy, it didn't seem to ever get as hard as
others I've used. I'd use JB Weld before that again. (Did)
Or hardware store Devcon.

JMHO

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
About $20 from motor parts shop here for tubes of Devcon. That's what I use now.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
All epoxies work well it's just some are less tolerant about inconsistencies in the ratio of hardener to epoxy base. Heat is your friend in this situation - if you're in a warm environment and can leave it outside in the direct sunlight for a couple of days - if it IS going to finish cure, that should do it. Another option is to make a temporary cure box or "oven" of sorts. The quickest way is to go by a the storage or moving company and buy one the big stand-up "wardrobe" carboard boxes that are abour 4-ft high & have a small bar across the top for clothes hangers. You can get them at Lowes but they're about $20. Anyway, hang your stock inside the box and and cut a round hole just large enough that it will firmly hold a hairdryer nozzle, down near the bottom of the side that's furthest away from the stock. Start it out on high for about 5-10 minutes, then drop it down to low and let the sucker run but take the time to get an idea that you have the temp under control - it would surprise you how hot that thing will get = you can cut a flapper at the top that you can keep adjusting to regulate the heat - running it in the garage, back porch, etc. would be better than in the house or shop. You want that stock to get almost too hot to comfortably hold in your hand, but not so hot as to melt paint, epoxy or the stock. Also remember that when you take it out to check, you have to let it cool first to really check the cure - that's why I would let it run for several hours since the cool down will take at least an hour or so.

In the winter if I'm doing stock work, I typically have to use artificial heat like this to get good prompt epoxy cure. If this doesn't do it, nothing will and you'll need to dig it out the best you can and start over. Typically the thicker areas cure best and thin or 'skim' areas are more problematic. Hope this helps.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Epoxy works best when post-cured.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
762 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.