Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've posted this several times before. I tried them in my 7mag running about 3000 at the muzzle. I do realize several proven hunters here that I'd absolutely trust (GregW comes to mind) use/have used them very successfully, I had very "questionable" results personally. This was an avg sized whitetail killed at just over 100 yds (yeah, sometimes shots are closer than you plan for), behind shoulder entry, no shoulder bone.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shot about 10 pigs with them, and not one fell over dead.....if I hadn't seen where most of them ran into the plum thickets/shinnery I'd have never found them. No blood trail, nothing, nada. In my neophyte opinion of using "target bullets" to kill stuff, I'd choose a scenar every time, or an ELDM. Several big muley bucks had died the past few years with those, and exemplary bullet performance. Take it FWIW.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Berger bullets are fine in slower velocity cartridges just not a good bullet for me in my 257 Weatherby mag. cartridge with velocity of 3500 - 3700 FPS on bigger whitetail bucks and nice mule deer bucks and yes Berger bullets are accurate.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I`ve only killed three deer with Bergers, all with 7mm bullets. Two from 7 Mags, a 168 grn and a 180 grn, both these bullets came apart inside the animals, as advertized, leaving several exit holes, and DRT, the third with the 7x57 and a 140 grner. Only recovered the 140, which had expanded back to the boat tail. That animal went about 40 yrds. All shots were about 200 yrds.
MD suggest trying a bullet out on at least 6?, animals before coming to any conclusion. A few more to go for me, but so far so good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Daveh
I know they work but 3250 It made me second guess…

Used them in my 7 mag, 28 Nosler, 6.5 saum, and this year my 300 Norma Improved and 6.5x47 Lapua. The only rifle I have not crowding 3200 is the 6.5x47 and all have worked great on game with Berger’s.

Stay out of the shoulders until the bullet has slowed down quite a bit and Berger’s are great.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have had good results with elite hunters.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I’ve seen ‘em work more than a couple of times…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Is that the Mashburn RC?

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shot about 10 pigs with them, and not one fell over dead.....if I hadn't seen where most of them ran into the plum thickets/shinnery I'd have never found them. No blood trail, nothing, nada. In my neophyte opinion of using "target bullets" to kill stuff, I'd choose a scenar every time, or an ELDM.

This mirrors my experience with the 6.5mm 140 VLD. 8-10 elk, some mule deer bucks and assorted bear and the like. Quite often an absolute mess resulted if I found them at all. Only had one exit and that was on a non shoulder shot rag bull at 600 yards. I did break the inside shoulder of a big mule deer at 385 yards but he ran a good 100 yards before dying. That wasn’t an issue per se, but not what a lot of people seem to experience. I don’t think I have seen a single critter fold up instantly to a Berger and I start mine at 2880 FPS.

That said, I am out of here in the morning for caribou with 6.5mm 135 Classics at about the same starting velocity. Last year’s bull took 3 of these in the chest at 100 yards before dying but since I have plenty on hand they’re what I am going with.

I do have 400 139 grain Scenars but was busy this summer and didn’t get around to loading them up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’ve seen ‘em work more than a couple of times…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Is that the Mashburn RC?

.264 Winchester Magnum, 140 VLD

Bull acted like it was a complete miss. While chambering another, he simply dropped where he stood. No visible entry or exit.

Upon dressing, knitting needle entrance behind the shoulder through both lungs, jacket found against the hide on the off side

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice. Thanks RC.

Any bulls taken with the Mashburn?

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3250 fps

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice. Thanks RC.

Any bulls taken with the Mashburn?

No. Mule deer and a couple of long range feral goats. (850 yards and 1620 yards)

😳

😁

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All with the 195 EOL

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
All with the 195 EOL

That’s cool stuff too.

I remember when you put yours together. Bob said watch this RC fella send them Berger’s way out there. It was around that time I think I built my first one.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All with the 195 EOL

That’s cool stuff too.

I remember when you put yours together. Bob said watch this RC fella send them Berger’s way out there. It was around that time I think I built my first one.

The Mashburn is easily my most solid long range rifle. Drop data really is dead on as far as you want to shoot with no tweeking past 1000. Never have encountered this with any of my others.

From camp a couple of years ago on a deer hunt in the middle of the day, we got to talking about rifles and such. One of my buddies hadn’t shot at anything really long or had a rifle capable to do so. Across the way was a mountain and about 1/4 of the way up I ranged a good target rock at 1800. My buddy put 5 on it with ease

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s definitely one of the pluses of a great 7mm. Easy enough for anyone to shoot with the right set up and performance is really high for the recoil received. I’ve never taken mine that far, but half as far has made a few believers in the old silly belted case.

Semper Fi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With all the high bc copper bullets availability Badlands, Hammer, Maker etc why even use Berger’s?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 79S
With all the high bc copper bullets availability Badlands, Hammer, Maker etc why even use Berger’s?

after what my poor experience was with Berger bullets on bigger bucks for 2 years , i will now try Hammer bullets ,in the past i used Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frame bullet both worked great. but when i tried Berger VLD Hunter bullets that`s when i had some problems . the Hammer bullets shoot well as did all the rest i mentioned even the Bergers shoot well , its just i need a better bullet to stay together in my higher velocity cartridge 257 Weatherby mag. , it is fun to load different bullets to see how they preform on game animals. in my tracking rifle a Browning BLR 30-06 if i ever did need to track a wounded animal that rifle is using 180 gr. Nosler Partitions or if i ever draw a black bear tag i will use this 30-06 too. > so the question at the top of this post i agree with > the why reason try copper bullets instead ? i will be using copper bullets too this year and probably many more years in son`s and my deer rifles ? also thinking about ordering some 22 caliber Hammer bullets for my grandson`s rifle a 223 AR-15 for this years deer season.

Last edited by pete53; 09/30/22.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I have been too chickenshit for years to poke an animal bigger than a deer with them. Every time I get the idea I read about the bullet I wanna use doing wonky stuff so I end up migrating back to what I know.

I have used the Scenar quite a bit and it’s never done anything but good stuff so far. The heavy ELDs are and have worked nice for me as well. I guess it’s good to have choices.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 79S

I have been too chickenshit for years to poke an animal bigger than a deer with them. Every time I get the idea I read about the bullet I wanna use doing wonky stuff so I end up migrating back to what I know.

I have used the Scenar quite a bit and it’s never done anything but good stuff so far. The heavy ELDs are and have worked nice for me as well. I guess it’s good to have choices.

you would be happy with Hammer bullets , matter fact i just ordered some 70 gr 224 Hammer Hunter bullets from Hammer for my grandson`s rifle !

Last edited by pete53; 09/30/22.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Seems like a lot of folks end up comparing the "new" super bullet against Partitions. Makes me wonder why not use the standard for comparison.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 2,937 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.