Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any other veterans on here have this badge awarded to them?
I earned mine in Berlin 1992. (Gold)
Looks pretty awesome on the uniform I always thought.

Also, has anyone else served in Berlin?

Last edited by MPat70; 09/30/22.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BP-B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My Middle daughter has a gold.
She got it as a Sophmore ROTC cadet with the Indiana NG.
Herman the German run here that summer.
She also got her AASLT badge as a freshman cadet
Got her Jump wings after her Junior year summer camp.
She commissioned with a good tower of power in place.

None of us in 1/16th IN got the chance when I was in germany from 86 to 88.
We had border gaurd at Hof on the toe of west and east Germany and the chezch border 4 months both years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome

Originally Posted by renegade50
My Middle daughter has a gold.
She got it as a Sophmore ROTC cadet with the Indiana NG.
Herman the German run here that summer.
She also got her AASLT badge as a freshman cadet
Got her Jump wings after her Junior year summer camp.
She commissioned with a good tower of power in place.

None of us in 1/16th IN got the chance when I was in germany from 86 to 88.
We had border gaurd at Hof on the toe of west and east Germany and the chezch border 4 months both years.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Berlin Brigade, August 1972 to January 1975. Started out in 4/18 then we were redesignated in place to 4th Bn 16th Infantry to match the other two infantry battalions there, 2/16 and 3/16. However, this is the first I've heard of that German marksmanship badge.

Fwiw, Berlin was still officially an occupied city, we had the same unit patch that Eisenhower wore in WWII with the addition of the word "Berlin".

[Linked Image from sparks-military.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you have to do to get that?

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
1988, could not make it happen with the junk G3's we were handed at the line to use to qual.

One chance. One day. Immediately double timed back to 3rd ID fun and games. Thank you host guard unit. Rag tag outfit.
Nobody completed.
I think the Div MG did not like seeing the ropes on anyone's greens.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
November 2014, up in Maz. Right before we closed it all down.

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tyrone
What do you have to do to get that?
German Armed Forces Badge for Military Proficiency

The German Armed Forces Badge for Military Proficiency (German: Das Abzeichen für Leistungen im Truppendienst) is a decoration of the Bundeswehr,[1] the armed forces of the Federal Republic of Germany.

German Armed Forces Badge for Military Proficiency
Abzeichen für Leistungen im Truppendienst
German Armed Forces Badge for Military Proficiency.jpg
Type
Military Badge
Awarded for
Military Proficiency
Description
Three classes: Gold, Silver and Bronze
Country
Federal Republic of Germany
Presented by
the Federal Republic of Germany
Eligibility
Service members of the German armed forces and allied nations
Status
Currently awarded
Established
October 29, 1980
BW Military Proficiency Ribbon.png
Military Proficiency ribbon with German eagle attachment

To earn the award one must complete the following requirements:

1. Evaluation Report:

Evaluation report from Commanding Officer recognizing the individual’s physical and moral standards. The purpose of the evaluation is to show evidence that the individual is both physically and morally fit.

2. First Aid Course:
Combat Lifesaver Training (CLS) level 1 course or equivalent.

3. NBC Test:
Individual must demonstrate that they can properly don a protective mask and all NBC protective clothing.

4. Basic Fitness Test Three events completed within 90 minutes.

a. 11x10-meter sprint test, in maximum time of 60 seconds
GOLD SILVER BRONZE
35-42 sec. 43-48 sec. 49-54 sec

b. Flexed Arm Hang keeping chin above bar, minimum time of five seconds.
GOLD SILVER BRONZE
65-86 sec. 45-64 sec. 25-44 sec

c. 1000 meter run/sprint, maximum time of six minutes and thirty seconds
GOLD SILVER BRONZE
2:50-3:45 min. 3:46-4:40 min. 4:41-5:35 min.

The score for each event is determined using a grading point matrix. The scores are then averaged to determine what level badge the individual qualifies for.

5. Marksmanship: In order to qualify for the German Armed Forces Badge for Military Proficiency, it is necessary to demonstrate marksmanship skills. The individual must demonstrate their skill with one weapon qualification recognized in the Schützenschnur, any of the following are recognized: light (pistole or MP), rifle and heavy weapon (MG or AT-launcher). There are several shooting exercises in the German Armed Forces use for each weapon which vary distance, number of targets, position of firing (standing, prone, lying down) and number of shots. The individual must reach a specified score their respective qualification table.

6. Foot March

Foot March with 15kg (33lb) rucksack; for Bronze 6 km in 60 min; Silver 9 km in 90 min; Gold 12 km in 120 min; no differences between gender and age.
The march must be accomplished in military uniform (ACUs, ABUs or BDUs) and boots with a rucksack weighing no less than 15 kg.

7. 100 meter swim in Military Uniform

Swim is conducted in Military Uniform while wearing PT uniform (shorts and T-Shirt) underneath. There is a four-minute time limit for the swim. After swim is completed, time stops; however, the individual must also successfully remove their outer uniform without touching the side of the pool to pass.

Grades
Grade III = German Armed Forces Badge for Military Proficiency in Gold (Das Abzeichen für Leistungen im Truppendienst in Gold).

Grade II = German Armed Forces Badge for Military Proficiency in Silver (Das Abzeichen für Leistungen im Truppendienst in Silber).

Grade I = German Armed Forces Badge for Military Proficiency in Bronze (Das Abzeichen für Leistungen im Truppendienst in Bronze

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mine says US ARMY

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]s-l500 by .com/photos/61286670N08/]Sharps Man, on [bleep]

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was a simple marksmanship badge when I got mine back in 1976. Most U.S troops wore them wrong. They'd slip the top loop over their right eupalet instead of putting an extra button under it to hang the top from.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got my silver in ‘87.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MPat70
Any other veterans on here have this badge awarded to them?
I earned mine in Berlin 1992. (Gold)
Looks pretty awesome on the uniform I always thought.

Also, has anyone else served in Berlin?

I was awarded mine, Gold, in 1984 in Berlin. Of course the Germans were using the G3A4A1 H&Ks at the time and when we were going-through the practice phase I made the mistake, on my first shot, of letting the butt of the rifle get a little far-up where it was on my collar bone .... I did it once, by mistake, from the prone, and it only took once ... it was like having a funny bone pain go through my right jaw directly to my brain.

Anyways, I wore the thing with my dress greens until I retired .... that and my German Jump Wings that I was awarded a couple of weeks later. Getting German Jump Wings was rare at the time ... one small exchange class per year but they were coveted because the Germans were the first combat paratroops.

I always like training with the Germans ... good folk. They were plenty hard core back then. Their jump school was a hoot, the head games they played. That's another story.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
393 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.