Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Yeah, for an outfitted hunt on a good ranch it’ll be $10k to $12k at minimum. Much the same for CO on a RFW property. These days a back country hunt on public lands will likely run $6k or more.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Never used them but have heard Kiowa Outfitters mentioned here. They're out of Raton, NM. Quick glance through their website and seems like they offer several hunt options that might fit your budget. I think Units 51 and 52 are easier draw but haven't looked at the odds in quite awhile.

Like I said, no direct experience with them, but another one to look at.

I'd up your budget to $7,500 for just the hunt. No tips, travel, meat processing in that amount.

He went over yonder way
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Private lands in NM. Some of the smaller operators in Unit 4. That Unit is loaded with Elk, they are just not very big. They do get big if you hunt the large ranches for example Chama Land and Cattle. A small operator Jared Robinson with Trifectia Outdoors in Cebolla can get you an elk on a rather easy hunt, again it will not be a monster.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Per their web sites:

Chama is $13 K--$14 K depending on the dates plus $550 license. Going up $1k in 2024 . Chama is owned by Jicarilla.

Vermijo is $18 K

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/28/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I hunted with Ivory Tip Outfitters in NW Colorado near Craig for a couple years. Got elk both trips. He had really good lodging, food and guides but the price was 6k or 6,500 depending on which ranch you hunted. I was looking for a hunt for my son and I and called him this spring but he was booked up for this year. I did a lot of research on other Ranching for Wildlife outfits in Colorado and some private ranches in N Mexico. We could've hunted N Mexico this fall for about 9k each. And I spoke to a few outfitters that had openings and that was about the going rate for a bull hunt.

I ended up booking a hunt for us with an outfit NW of Steamboat Springs for next season. They are a little more than 7k for a bull hunt. I doubt you'll find anything good with lodging for much less than that.

I would give Tony at Ivory Tip a call and see what he can offer. I had two great hunts with him and would've gone back if he had the dates available for next year that I wanted.

You can also go down the list of RFW ranches at the link below. Contacts are listed if you click on the ranch name.

https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/RFWParticipating.aspx

Last edited by Bill_N; 09/28/22.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am sure most know this but RFW tags are only for CO residents.Those same ranches do sell private hunts though.

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/28/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be working more overtime to up my budget

FJB
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I am sure most know this but RFW tags are only for CO residents.Those same ranches do sell private hunts though.

RFW ranches sell guided hunts to NRs and they get to set their seasons more or less and no draw for tags. The tags for residents are unguided access to their properties for the most part and a draw.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It can be done on your budget.
Look at this guys hunts and he has a new ranch that may be hunted too I think.
https://www.flattopsadventures.com/#adventures

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Dang going to use my 13 points in Wyoming next year hope can find something less than prices hearing here. Will b taking grandson as he has 13 points also.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Try contacting Jeanne Horne at J Bar H Outfitters. The area is draw for 2nd and 3rd rifle, and they take nice Bulls out of the area. She books years out so she may not be able to help you. She was the outfitter of the year a few years ago. Go to her web site to see the bulls they take. She charges in the $5,000 area. I believe she has one unguided camp available next year and a couple for 2024. She sometimes has cancellations so you could get on her wait list. Well worth it. Good luck.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I should’ve said the prices I quoted are primarily for RFW ranches. I don’t have any preference points.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ro1459
Try contacting Jeanne Horne at J Bar H Outfitters. The area is draw for 2nd and 3rd rifle, and they take nice Bulls out of the area. She books years out so she may not be able to help you. She was the outfitter of the year a few years ago. Go to her web site to see the bulls they take. She charges in the $5,000 area. I believe she has one unguided camp available next year and a couple for 2024. She sometimes has cancellations so you could get on her wait list. Well worth it. Good luck.

I know Jeanne very well.Close friend of mine. She has one drop camp that is not a very long ride into. Maybe and hour, lower elevation about 9000 ft. Possibly another but higher. All other camps are a fairly long ride, by Colorado standards. All are on public land.

OP wanted guided hunt and her two camps with full service are back in a ways, 7-9 miles. She usually wants 4 hunters in acamp.

Her camps are top notch, staff are great, food is excellent. The best bulls are taken in an area that is pretty rough. That one is 9 miles in. Probability of taking a 300 bull is pretty low. 275 range is more likely. Her clients are probably 80% repeats

The stock that clients ride are usually Sombrero horses, but she weeds out the bad ones when she takes delivery.

If I was booking a hunt, she would be my first choice .Her prices will probably go up quite a bit for 2023.

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/30/22.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by farmer
Dang going to use my 13 points in Wyoming next year hope can find something less than prices hearing here. Will b taking grandson as he has 13 points also.

Your PP should get you a nice hunt in Wyoming. I would use them next year before the price increase goes into affect for NRs.
Depends on if you're looking for a backcountry hunt or a pretty much given ranch type hunt.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Utah has a few premium elk hunting outfitters

https://www.visitutah.com/articles/the-hunt-for-tavaputs

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
574 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.