Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A bit of historyI've had two 25-06s that shot most any flat base bullets far better then any boat tails at most any range. OK, tonight's question. I'm loading 150 grain FMJ BTs with IMR 4895 and came across 500 flat base FMJs. Is there any thing I should be aware of when loading the flat base bullets? The 150 grain FMJBT would extend deeper in the powder space, maybe increasing pressures VS the flat base? Any help should be appreciated

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm curious as I shoot a 257 Roberts . What brand and style of 150 grain bullet are you shooting?

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I’m confused.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
25 cal 150s who makes those ?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nobody

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"150 grain FMJ BTs with IMR 4895" Sounds like a 30-06 and not a 25-06 to me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gentlemen My mistake. My reference to the 25-06s was to explain my curiosity about the superior accuracy of the flat based bullet vs the boat tail. I'm testing 150 grain bullets in a 308. I've used factory ammo ever since I bought this rifle. Sorry for my befuddlement.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My only aversion to flat based bullets is that they are a little trickier to start into the case when seating. For hunting any supposed advantage in accuracy of a flat base is offset by superior downrange ballistics of boattails but it really comes down to what works in YOUR rifle.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
My only aversion to flat based bullets is that they are a little trickier to start into the case when seating. For hunting any supposed advantage in accuracy of a flat base is offset by superior downrange ballistics of boattails but it really comes down to what works in YOUR rifle.

Thanks for your reply, after my snafu at the beginning of this thread. Many years ago I took up shooting ground hogs why out yonder and found that I needed a heavier bullet at high velocity for long range groundhogs in highland County Virginia. I tried all the Sierra boat tails and was never impressed with the accuracy. A friend gave me a box od Speer 100 grain flat base hollow points And never went back. What I'm looking for is very accurate 150 grain 30 caliber for off hand shooting from 100 yards to 300 yards. Again thanks for you response.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Offhand shooting out to just 300 yards does not require high BC bullets, so whatever design shoots best in your rifle is what matters. For example, using Hornady bullets at 2700 fps, there is less than one inch difference in drop between the two types at 300 yards - not even noticeable in the field.

With the same bullet ogive and loa, either style will take up about the same volume in the case. It is the volume of the bullet in the case which matters, not how far the bullet base extends into the case. But in my experience, most FMJ bullets seldom give the accuracy of soft or hollowpoint bullets give. But that depends on the particular bullet.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a 270 that only liked flat based bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DoubleRadius
Offhand shooting out to just 300 yards does not require high BC bullets, so whatever design shoots best in your rifle is what matters. For example, using Hornady bullets at 2700 fps, there is less than one inch difference in drop between the two types at 300 yards - not even noticeable in the field.

With the same bullet ogive and loa, either style will take up about the same volume in the case. It is the volume of the bullet in the case which matters, not how far the bullet base extends into the case. But in my experience, most FMJ bullets seldom give the accuracy of soft or hollowpoint bullets give. But that depends on the particular bullet.

Correct. Using the OP’s 25.06 as example a 117 pro hunter(flat base) vs 117 Game King(BT) when launched at the same speed there is .1 inch difference @ 200 and .3 inch difference @ 300. The BT doesn’t offer any real advantage until past 300.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ehank you all. Another question is there any pressure difference, using the same weight with the same powder powder, same bullet weight.
?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Remington 700 in 30-06 that has a very long throat and only likes flat base bullets. It especially likes Speer 180 Spitzers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ehank you all. Another question is there any pressure difference, using the same weight with the same powder powder, same bullet weight.
?

Yes. The NRA tested this decades ago in the .30-06 and 150-grain bullets, all with the same charge and seating depth. Their testing found pressure differences in excess of 7000 cup between different bullet brands and styles, and velocity differences of nearly 100 fps. The data showed no easy way to predict which bullets gave higher or lower pressures, like comparing bullet length, core hardness or bearing surface.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just curious, what is the purpose of a FMJ bullet? Other than war, I have no clue why anyone would want a FMJ bullet???

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger
Just curious, what is the purpose of a FMJ bullet? Other than war, I have no clue why anyone would want a FMJ bullet???

FMJ bullets are less expensive to manufacture than expanding bullets and thus are sold cheaper.

Folks shooting M1 Garands, M14/M14, M1 Carbines generally are not hunting and the guns were designed for smooth feeding FMJ bullets anyway.

Some folks use FMJ bullets so as to not the damage the pelts of fur bearers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by arkypete
Another question is there any pressure difference, using the same weight with the same powder powder, same bullet weight.
?
The bearing surface would change somewhat, but if the only difference between two bullets was the BT, I wouldn't worry about pressure differences too much.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by hanco
I had a 270 that only liked flat based bullets.

I have a 25.06 that's the same, it absolutely loves flat base bullets.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bugger

I'm plan to shoot at steel gongs / plates off hand out to 300 yards. The FMJs are cheaper then the cup and core.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 22kHornet, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,589
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.