Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I"m a big advocate of fire formed brass for a specific rifle, and have been using Lee collett neck sizing dies for years now. Unfortunately Lee doesn't make on for the 6.5 PRC that I'm aware of. I ran all of my once fired PRC brass through a RCBS full length sizing die, and when I started seating bullets, I feel like the neck tension is WAY too high/tight. Anyone know a remedy for this?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
HR IC

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bushing dies would give you options.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Expander mandrel die.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Expander mandrel die.

This

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I run all thru an Expander Mandrel Die!

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Sounds good to me. Where do I get one of these expander mandrel dies?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
21st. Century Innovation for the mandrel

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I use the Sinclair set myself. All about the same. You just want the mandrels that are .002 under

https://www.sinclairintl.com/reload...neration-ii-expander-dies-prod38807.aspx

https://www.sinclairintl.com/reload...-coated-turning-mandrels-prod130717.aspx

FL Redding or RCBS bushing dies are really hard to hate though.

Last edited by beretzs; 10/01/22.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A "push pass" of the becks back over the expander ball may help for now.

JG, what's the diameter of the expander ball?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Are you making a problem where none exist? How do the loads shoot? You didn`t mention that..

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
A "push pass" of the becks back over the expander ball may help for now.

JG, what's the diameter of the expander ball?

Shows 2.635 on the calipers. It took a good bit of force to seat 127LRX to 2.85 OAL. I appreciate the help fellas.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Are you making a problem where none exist? How do the loads shoot? You didn`t mention that..

My first go 'round with the 127 LRX and various charges of Retumbo from 58.0 to 60.5, seated at 2.86 OAL were a huge disappointment. Nothing under 1.25". So much so that I had the Norma match factory ammo, 140g, that I was shooting after DBC treatment, and they were all touching, easily .3" for 3 shots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My first go 'round with the 127 LRX and various charges of Retumbo from 58.0 to 60.5, seated at 2.86 OAL were a huge disappointment. Nothing under 1.25". So much so that I had the Norma match factory ammo, 140g, that I was shooting after DBC treatment, and they were all touching, easily .3" for 3 shots.

After the neck die mandrel play with the seating depth! Barnes are notorious for liking more jump to the lands. I’ve been playing with 127 LRX’s in my 6.5 Creedmoor. Factory or handloads and I’d be happy if I got one to group 1.25”. I was playing with 129 LRX’s in my 270 WSM before it went south group wise, I believe I may have resolved that issue yesterday though.

Play around with seating depths and you may actually tighten those groups up quite a bit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You do anneal case necks, JG...don't you?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
10-4 on the annealing River Rider. I"m going to try some RL26 next and see what happens, and how it compares to the Retumbo loads.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think it it feels like a lot of neck tension you have a pile. Maybe measure the necks on your Norma ammo and your sized cases for an idea of where you’re at.

I agree that Barnes equals 50 thou or better.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sounds like a problem. However, I'd contact RCBS. They will handle the situation pretty quickly. They will want for JG to send the sizing die in with a piece of once fired brass, but they will get him fixed up. I don't mess around with any other die company or anything other than FL RCBS die sets. I have had a couple issues with them. One was just the opposite of JG's on a 300wm. Neck tension was too light and the short neck did not help matters. RCBS sent me a new die and it works perfectly now. They are a great company to deal with, so I stick with them. I broke the leaf spring on my priming arm last night and contacted them. They sent an email this morning saying they are sending out a new priming arm. No worries.. I looked on ebay and they are roughly $20. I could buy one, but I bet I get the new one from RCBS quicker..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I think it it feels like a lot of neck tension you have a pile. Maybe measure the necks on your Norma ammo and your sized cases for an idea of where you’re at.

I agree that Barnes equals 50 thou or better.

Sometimes, but not all the time. My 7mm08 is an example. It likes .025" off. I did not see a change for the better to equal the accuracy until I was .100" off.. Then it was very minimal and the .025" off load was more consistent.. Every rifle is different though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I use the Sinclair set myself. All about the same. You just want the mandrels that are .002 under

I use both the 21st century and Sinclair mandrel dies and as best I can tell, they're all pretty similar and mostly cross compatible in terms of mandrels. 21st century, at least in the common calibers, also offers mandrels in half-thou increments, which is nice depending on how much tension you want and springback you get. The carbide and coated mandrels definitely reduce the need for lube.

But I think I heard Lee is back to making custom collet dies again? They have done a few for me, they'll give you extra collets in different sizes, etc.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TX35W

I use both the 21st century and Sinclair mandrel dies and as best I can tell, they're all pretty similar and mostly cross compatible in terms of mandrels. 21st century, at least in the common calibers, also offers mandrels in half-thou increments, which is nice depending on how much tension you want and springback you get. The carbide and coated mandrels definitely reduce the need for lube.

But I think I heard Lee is back to making custom collet dies again? They have done a few for me, they'll give you extra collets in different sizes, etc.

That’s good [bleep] about the .5 thou. I’ll have to keep that in mind. Thanks TX

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.