Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Put me on that list as well. 😎👍🏼

Buying American is nice when it works, but it’s very tough. I bought a Dodge truck to stay American, opened the hood & it said “made in Mexico”. Had to buy a Toyota to get an American truck 😂

Last edited by brayhaven; 07/08/22.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
GB2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Another reel I have on my light saltwater rod that impresses me is an Okuma. I think this one was made in Korea, but I think they can be made in several countries. Not fancy finish, but very smooth and smooth drag.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All sorts of good stuff available. It doesn’t have to be expensive to work, a reel only holds the line and it doesn’t take much to do that.

As far as drag goes, you really don’t need it on trout rivers. Applying pressure on the fish with the rod and guides, will give you most of the drag you will need.

Abel makes a fantastic click pawl l reel, although they’re expensive.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by shrapnel
All sorts of good stuff available. It doesn’t have to be expensive to work, a reel only holds the line and it doesn’t take much to do that.

As far as drag goes, you really don’t need it on trout rivers. Applying pressure on the fish with the rod and guides, will give you most of the drag you will need.

Abel makes a fantastic click pawl l reel, although they’re expensive.
Agreed. I’ve fished from s. FL to Alaska for many years & can count the times I’ve needed a drag on my fingers. On tarpon & redfish & once a big bass.
I want a reel to be light, smooth & look good. And there are tons of reels meeting those specs for good prices.

Greg
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rlhunter0403
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Sorry, but I avoid knowingly buying anything made in China. I don't care if it's the best thing ever and comes with a cute Chinese hooker to tie my flies.

I would be interested in any reel that had that feature
I might at the very least try one once……LOL.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one wants to put a complicated reel to a true test, take it out steelheading on an icy 15° morning. Lots of drag systems totally lock up if any moisture works its way in.

1Minute
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1minute
If one wants to put a complicated reel to a true test, take it out steelheading on an icy 15° morning. Lots of drag systems totally lock up if any moisture works its way in.
Or tarpon fishing. A fight can last over an hour, and salt water does funny things to equipment.

Greg
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Tibors down here in the saltwater but If I ever got into trout I wouldn't need anything like those. I bought quite a few of them when I was setting up back in 2003-2006. Still using them and they will likely last me my lifetime unless I run over one with my truck. Redfish , snook ,Tarpon and big Jacks will test your reel but seatrout aren't bad. Bluefish down here are smaller. I dont get into many Bonita where I am at.
Biggest detriment to your equipment here is the salt , sun and ceiling fans……

Last edited by Boarmaster123; 07/14/22.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For big fish I have a Fin Nor that was my Grandfathers. He used it up in Alaska for Kings and I've used it for Stripers a couple times but doubt unless I go to Alaska again I have much use for it.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hatch reels. Made in Vista, CA. Never had a issue while using them.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A nice fly reel is kind of like engraving on a shotgun. It doesn't do much functionally but sure is nice to look at.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Teal
It probably depends on what you fish.

My fly fishing is 100% steelhead and browns on Great Lakes tributaries. I need a drag for those steelhead so a reel has some value beyond holding line for me.

I happen to like the Lamson Konic series for such work.

yep. I have 2 lamsons over 20 years old I fish a lot in salt water

A lot of reel for the money

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice drag on a fly reel isn't necessary, until it is.

Lots of lightly used reels like Ross and Galvan still perform at a much lower price point.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, a line holder for our typical trout. When things get up to a dozen lbs or so in big rivers, a drag can come into play.

Down side: A wet drag in freezing temps may lock up and the big one gets away.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/30/22.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A huge number of posters here have fished with my gear here in AK... We need drags.

Sealed drags are absolutely needed in salt... a real good idea everywhere.

Very few upper end reels are not to be found in my kit. Riley thought it was child abuse to be forced to fish with a Hardy reel. Too loud, tough on knuckles, and uncool

Ross, including the newest are jokes, IME&O. Burned out drags on the first run on a lightly used reel.

TFO has been a huge, positive surprise. The BVK series (four examples) has been beaten brutally and came out grinning.

Sage, SA, some Hardy are good.

Lamson reels use the same drag, top to bottom models, and they work!

Bauer is a proven reel, period! Hatch is also a solid choice.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And then there was Lee Wulff who cast a fly to, and boated, a game fish (Marlin I think) - without a reel, or a rod. Silenced a lot of sceptics.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
O
I agree...buy the one that balances your rod. I've rarely picked up someone's rod that was balanced properly, with the reel usually being too light. I fish mostly 5-7 wt rods with Ross Gunnisons on them, and typically use a G-4 on the 6 and 7 weights for balance, not line capacity. The 5 weights have G-3 reels. I've been happy with the drag on Gunnison reels and they are used regularly where I fish, with browns and rainbows into the 20 inch plus range on a meadow stream with lots of willows where they can run and disappear if they aren't slowed down. Tippets are in the 1-3x fluoro range depending on fly size.

As usual, it has now frozen over until April.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I like collecting orvis, hardy and older reels but never thought for trout fishing it was all that important.still have the Pluger and martin reels from 50 years ago when I started and yes they still work fine.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have to agree with others that fishing for a smaller fish a drag is not needed but. Catching something over 10lbs you really need that drag unless you just want to play tug of war.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I got Martins, Bronson, Plueger, as well, had some for 60 years, (american made) still working K's of trout later.I also have expensive reels , as well as a cheap chinese reel , for trout fishing it just don't matter.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.