Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wish you the best in recovery. I truly do. You asked for feedback on recovery and when people started to draw a bow after surgery. I gave you my journey, and it was successful.

If your surgeon gives you the green light to draw a bow, at 12 weeks, then put all your faith into his opinion and start drawing your full weight bow. I truly wish you the best.

Does your surgeon know what it 's like to draw a 45-50+ lb bow (or whatever hunting draw weight you draw)? If you think your surgeon's timeline is safe at 12 weeks, go for it.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
drawning a long bow or a recurve yes a compound bow is a whole different animal that you need to be very careful with those valleys on a compound bow can hurt your shoulder be careful.

Last edited by pete53; 07/01/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thanks for the well wishes, I doubt he’s a bow hunter a hunter at all because I’am sure he would have mentioned it when I brought it up. Maybe I’am on a faster track because I am healthy and fairly strong. I hurt it when I fell on the ice, it wasn’t from deterioration or anything. He told be to work up to it and is encouraging anything that dose not cause pain. True on the compound vs recurve, I have both but my recurve is 6828” and I think it would be harder to get back to it vs my 65# compound. My father has a couple crossbow due to health so at least I have options. I can use either in Mo so no worries there. I guess a lighter recurve could be an option but I would have to purchase one.

Shawn

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've got a left shoulder MRI with contrast scheduled for (soonest I could get it) August 5th. To say I'm concerned for archery season is an understatement......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
forget this years archery season you will have many more years ahead, i missed a couple because of surgery your health is your concern .take care of that shoulder, i am now almost 69 years of age i can no longer draw a bow back and yes i mis archery season with a bow ,i have bowhunted since i was 9 or 10 years old . good luck be careful ,Pete53

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Pete, thanks! I will be careful but I have a hunch I’ll be shooting by August, no trouble drawing a fiberglass youth bow probably 20-25 lbs. if not I’ll be using a crossbow, heck I’d sit in a stand with a camera if it came to that

Shawn

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
stay with the x- bow tell your healed up, i now use a x-bow yes its not true archery but i would hate to mis the archery season just to be out there and enjoying the smell,sights and the calmness of the outdoors ,i don`t need to kill anything its just nice to be out there. good luck and be safe,Pete53

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
February 2021 I had a bicep tendonesis, anchored down my labrum and cleaned up a couple tears in my rotator cuff. It was my right shoulder and I’m right handed bow shooter. I was hunting in October at 60 pounds and started shooting around mid august.

Never had any pain shooting until I had to let down without shooting. It hurt but not bad (I didn’t do it again though, if I drew it was getting shot) Had it been my left shoulder I don’t think I could have held the bow up by then. If it’s your grip arm it is definitely going to take longer than your release arm.

Surgeon said start pulling bands back like I was drawing at 4 months and work my way up so that was my plan but the physical therapist was doing band work by week 4 but we started LIGHT.

Took a year to get to a point that I can’t tell I had surgery but I was stronger in it post surgery in about 8 weeks than I was before. Best thing I ever did was get it taken care of, as I’m way stronger now with NO pain

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
That’s great to hear I appreciate the input. I drew an elk tag for 1st rifle season in Colorado in the second chance draw so at least I don’t have to worry about that hunt. Mo will let me use a crossbow so either way I’ll be ready.

Shawn

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I had a strong side (right) reconstruction? Over 20 years ago. Therapy and weight training worked well. It didn’t stop me bow hunting….just made me limit myself to under 65# vs my higher poundage days. What stopped me hunting with a bow, at least from elevated stands, was two plates in the bottom of a broken back….can’t bend/twist like I used to, and I have a ‘dead zone’ at a certain angle, where I have to creep. Can still shoot on the ground, but just got a vertical xbow to stand hunt with. Up to 42 staples now. Thanks U.S.

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Had my MRI a few weeks ago (it was rescheduled from the 5th to the 30th of August) and the diagnosis is a SLAP tear and long head bicepts tendon; severe tendinopathy. PT started a couple weeks ago and might be showing a slight improvement. Shooting the bow is difficult at best......who knows what to expect this fall with the bow.

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 09/25/22.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I had a severe injury, tore all four muscle groups that make up my right rotator, three completely. My bicep on that side even had to be relocated.
From that much damage I started working with wide rubber bands attached to a wall, doing a drawing motion two years after surgery. It’s been 4 years now and I’m working with my Mathew’s. Feels fine but not up to full draw weight. I’m 64 so I probably won’t get all of it back.
Proceed with repetition in whatever way you choose, versus pumping up the weight too soon. It will come.
Nothing scientific here, just did what made sense to me. Good luck.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've not had shoulder surgery. Nonetheless, I've really been following Tom Clum's training program to protect my shoulders from injury.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Bow stuff might not be understood by some surgeons.Then theres trad vs wheels like Pete said.

Shoulder docs proly do more w tennis and other athletic injuries.

Type of injury, differences in degree of injury and healing rates. Just never know how long recovery will take.

So far have not needed shoulder repair. Some issue, missed bow season last yr ( drs orders ) and laid out all summer.

Of course work beats the chit out of it. And earlier this week I woke up in pain for the first time in months. Got some other arm crap going on so am going to run wheels and release abd after bow season go back and see what other crap is happening. Looks like tendon in wrist is fugged.

Buds have had various shoulder repairs. Cuz had a shoulder replaced ( doesnt shoot bow ) and my kid sees a top shoulder doc ( has had bankhart repair on both ).
So ive been seeing same one as her and weve talked archery, bow differences, mechanics of shooting etc.

Couple guys w major tears got back into bows successfully. All i know that did were under 55 yrs old and shot lighter bows after repair.....saying they didnt want to go through that again.

Sometimes though, genetics is gonna screw ya no matter what.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/01/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My mom had both rotator cuffs done.
My dad needed a shoulder replaced
His brother did too, and two of his kids did.
I did way more stuff than all of em ( work and play ) yet my shoulder bones and cuffs are in good shape.

Hmmm, maybe I was adopted? LOL

My kids issues are from a genetic tissue disorder.....and I know shes my kid. Think that actually came from her moms side. And her dad was adopted so we got nuthin on medical history.

Arthritis and impinged shoulder, wheels are at 58# and trad is now 46#. Trad is way more comfy ( I dont snap shoot ). However i didnt have the time this yr so am forced to run wheels/ sight.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/01/22.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Well he ain’t big but dang it I got it done. Had surgery in March. Pulled the kids bow every night then last week I pulled my Hoyt and shot a dozen arrows. Did have to adjust my sights and bicep was the only pain. I would have passed but dang outage coming up next week and I have to work it all. Still have two doe tags and three days. I tried to attach a photo but it seems too large

Shawn

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
[img]http://[/file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/11/01/C32A1A17-2E98-4590-9101-CB370EABCA1E/IMG_8174.HEIC

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
So the link doesn’t work. Trying to attach pictures

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thought I'd never be able to use my arm much again but after a year it's a whole lot better. No surgery (no ins.), But amazingly I can do most of what I used to just not as hard or certain moves. Going to a crossbow was sure nice.
Was able to shoot my 60lb bow this fall but trying it last fall and then trying to hold on a stud on stand did some damage then so figure time is my friend.
Best wishes on the recoveries fellas

Last edited by cbay; 11/19/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I reached back to.unlock door from drivers seat and mines been Fd since. Grinding and a pop, now just clicks and is mild sore 24/7. Reach out and it gets worse.
Not happy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
510 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 49 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.