Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
Gunner,
I agree with you and Pete, and also others here on the topic. We have the Right to Keep and Bear Arms Protecting ourselves from Scoundrels, who think that their above the Law, and Infringing Harm on others.
The old Saying that I'd rather have it and not need it, surely applies to US!

HS58

You bet HS58, the first damn thing we have to do is stay alive, and also watch/protect the innocents, we can and WILL deal with the commie law [breakers] makers later!

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry unless I am in the bed, shower, courthouse, jail, ocean or intentionally in a lake or river!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I carry unless I am in the bed, shower, courthouse, jail, ocean or intentionally in a lake or river!

Yep. Although I do carry a Glock 33 when fly fishing on the San Juan River in NM. Wading, of course. Figure if it gets dunked, it’s nothing a good cleaning won’t fix. I wear it under my waders, of course. 🤠

Don’t have to worry about the Ocean. I don’t wade with the sharks. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
1911 on my back regardless of location and what I am doing

N
ndm Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I shot a rabid racoon at about six feet while grouse hunting, since then figured 15 rounds was better than an arrow walking in or out if something weird happens.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes. No bears here but we have Meth monsters and many other varmints and predators that sometimes need shooting.

I’m not sure of the legality and don’t worry about it too much. I hunt private land and worry more about what’s right than what the rule book says.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
Yes. No bears here but we have Meth monsters and many other varmints and predators that sometimes need shooting.

I’m not sure of the legality and don’t worry about it too much. I hunt private land and worry more about what’s right than what the rule book says.

Used to be illegal for years to carry a handgun in TX during Archery Season only. Since most of my Archery Hunting was on our Ranch, I never worried about it.
I was much more worried about rattlesnakes than the Game Warden.

That all changed when Concealed Carry first became Legal here. As it did in CO and NM too.
Now it’s legal for anyone to carry a handgun in TX during Archery Season. Unless, of course, your a Felon.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Simple answer, yes! I hunt not far from where the Hmung man shot, and killed, all those people in North central Wisconsin years ago and very close to where the Green Bay man shot and killed the Hmung hunter tresspassing up in his treestand the following year. Posted private property is no assurance!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I always carry. Always. About 15 years ago I made a personal commitment to always carry a gun. That point I would carry one about 50% of the time, and the other 50% of the time I would leave it in the truck. I decided that I wanted it to be a personal assumption that I would always have a pistol and commit to not only carrying it but training with it. I think I have achieved those goals.

Thank God I’ve never had to use it in self defense, but I have shot possums, armadillos, coyotes and wild hogs. I agree with some of the others who have posted that my bigger concern is running into a two legged predator.

Last edited by MosesTucker; 09/19/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Curious how many of you carry a handgun while archery hunting. Here in Pa you need your carry permit to have a handgun on you while archery hunting. Reason I would do it would simply be for bear. Brother had one at the base of his tree one year that refused to leave, even after he stood up and yelled at it. That kind of bear behavior kind of freaks me out. There are plenty of bears here in Pa, and besides hunting, I like to walk on game lands. So I am thinking of getting a 10mm something and carrying it with hard cast. May never need it...

It's only been legal to carry while archery hunting a few years.(with CCP)

Same for a handgun while spotlighting or a loaded handgun in the truck during hunting season.

Pa Game Comission is all about fining people.
In instances where someone might break a law, they pass a law they can fine you for, before you actually do something "wrong".

A guy might use a pistol to shoot a deer in archery.
So, make it illegal to have one.
You can then fine him for simply having a gun, instead of waiting until he does something actually wrong.

Just like we can't hunt small game in big game season.
Or use centerfire (even cast bullet loaded) for small game.

Instead of looking for the guy to do a bad deed, outlaw even having the chance. Can't believe they still let us spotlight!

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 09/19/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Simple answer Yes with CCW. S&W 357 or 44 mag. revolver in a shoulder holster or 10mm XD-M Elite on my hip.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hanco
I carry a 45 for pigs, one of us may need some relief.

I liked Jerry too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Better check the laws in your state before you carry in while hunting with archery season with an archery license.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
In Canada where I live, handguns are banned for hunting, which sucks!

Where I bow hunt for elk in Alberta there are a lot of Grizz, way too many for my liking and bow hunters do get killed by bears here seems like annually! When I am bow hunting, I carry a Mossy 88 Maverick with an 18" barrel on my back, with 3 x 3" Magnum High Shok Slugs with the last 2 being SSG. I figure if a Grizz wants to Dine on me, it's going to be the most painful diner it ever had! lol

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/01/22.

KB

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
This post cracks me up...

I'm a fellow PA hunter. I have had several run ins with black bears, including two false charges. I just got my carry permit, went to my gun shop, and handled several handguns. The one I kept going back to was the M&P 2.0 in 10mm. I was doing some drawing exercises in the store to simulate a charging bear with a few glocks, sig, s&w, and springfield. I would focus on a point on the other side of the store (probably 30ft away), draw the pistol, and put the gun on target without taking my eyes off of the target. The glocks were always aimed way over the target, which would be a first round miss. The others didn't go on target organically, either a little left, or a little right. But that M&P was dead on target, every draw. Now, I recognize that this is MY PERSONAL situation, and everyone is different, but I chose the gun that I felt would give me the highest percent chance of first round hit.

I also realized that there was a good chance of a low light encounter, so I also got an underbarrel flashlight. I'm still undecided on the ammo I'll use. Not planning on reloading for this, so we'll see.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In the UP of Michigan I always carry....well I always carry except in the shower.....with bears and wolves I have never walked out the door...
Alway carry a S&W 625 or a Colt 45 ACP....only had to use the Colt 45 ACP once....a bear I had shot went back after getting the 4 wheeler and it decided it wanted to fight before giving up its ghost....2- Hornady 230 gr bullets in the head ended that fight at 2'....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Curious how many of you carry a handgun while archery hunting. Here in Pa you need your carry permit to have a handgun on you while archery hunting. Reason I would do it would simply be for bear. Brother had one at the base of his tree one year that refused to leave, even after he stood up and yelled at it. That kind of bear behavior kind of freaks me out. There are plenty of bears here in Pa, and besides hunting, I like to walk on game lands. So I am thinking of getting a 10mm something and carrying it with hard cast. May never need it...

Got dang, PA is about as stupid as commie Cali. Can't open carry there??
Actually PA is an open carry state. Carrying any firearm during archery season is illegal. However if you have a concealed carry license (its not a permit) you can carry during archery season.
I do carry my handgun but not for bears. I'm more concerned about the 2 legged animals out there - the druggies and thugs.

Last edited by ClemB; 10/27/22.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 40 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,144
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.