-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wife's grandson just recently got out of the Marines, and is hurting for money.
He offered up a Diamond Infinite Edge package.
He had a different front stabilizer, a true fire release and a few arrows.
He never shot it much.
I took it to my local shop, and getting a new string, loop, and peep put on.
Went with fluro purple, fluro pink, with black stripes in both for the string.
Bought a drop away rest so far.
Once all strung up, we'll figure out my draw length, and a weight I can pull easily.
By the time the string gets installed, I'll be out of back surgery, or there abouts, and starting from scratch to rebuild my strength.
So a buddy recommended an adjustable HHA sight.
My biggest plans are mainly to shoot 3d right now.
Many moons ago, I was big into bowhunting, but when I move here, to New Mexico, where I have to draw for everything, I went rifle only.
So....
I'm pretty much out of the archery game.
Soooo many things have changed.
What ever happened to over draws ?
Anyways,
Any tips on string silencers, limb silencers, or basically what to get to get all fitted up ???
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by splattermatic; 09/21/22.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
An old Oneida! I guess I'll have to break out my Jennings Model T :-)

Also, still have my PSE SR1000 with the overdraw shelf.

Last edited by Biebs; 09/21/22.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So noone here has this bow, or can help me spend some money to suggest string silencers, or anything to make this shoot or hunt ready ?
The archery market is huge, with so many products. Would just like to go with a solid product, not hyped junk.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I stepped away from compound bows when I was shooting a couple Martin bows, yes, one had an overdraw and I came back a couple years ago with a Bowtech Fuel.
Bowtech is Diamonds sister company and the Fuel is the same bow as yours with different cable attachments and paint..

I put a GWS AR-19 single pin adjustable sight, $50, works fine. I'd let the HHA go on the last bow.

I'm not shooting crazy heavy draw weight any longer and the more parallel limbs of this generation bow has of course made a huge difference in noise and vibration.
I do have some silicone string leeches in the string but that's all.

I put an old favorite stabilizer on and a RipCord fall-away rest.

Get some extra material for string loops.
They're the consumable and will need replaced but it's so much nicer than crimp on brass nocks or spinning on new serving!!

I went with 5mm arrows, they penetrate well at the draw weight I shoot and I couldn't justify anything snazzier for my little bit of hunting here on the farm..

The draw weight on your bow will go way down, so you have some good therapy ahead!

Hope you mend well and have a bunch of fun with your bow!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm no help. As soon as I drew my archery tag this spring I went to the local well respected shop. Brought in my 12 year old bow and got it all hunt ready with their recommendations. Worked out easy and what I would do again if in your position.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not gonna hunt just yet with a bow.
I'm just getting started with a new pup, and early goose season.
We were 3 short of a 5 man limit last Sunday.
22 geese down !

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
It’s not that the experience isn’t out there - it’s the Diamond bow package…I get helping somebody out, I’ve done it as well, and for similar reasons.

It’s not going to be your old Oneida for durability, quality, and longevity - IMHO. It’ll get you started, but the Diamond brand doesn’t have a reputation in my area for holding up over time.

Sounds like you’ve replaced everything except the riser, limbs, and cams - which is kinda the main problem with Amazon / box store package bows.

The majority of the package components aren’t going get you through a good summer of practice and a hunting season, or they just break, or you want something different.

But - if it works to get you back in the field, great!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Helluva stack of geese there buddy. This might be the start of a great fall for you guys. Stack em up.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Not gonna hunt just yet with a bow.
I'm just getting started with a new pup, and early goose season.
We were 3 short of a 5 man limit last Sunday.
22 geese down !

Awesome hunt there sir!

Would you like an EXCEPTIONAL Canada Goose recipe, that we do up here in Canada that is super easy and delicious?

My favorite hunting bow is a Darton Vapor.

For my sight I have an Adjustable Acent Black Gold Sight, which I really like because it has one pin and I can adjust it from 20 to 100 yards in seconds.

And for arrow rest I really like my Trophy Ridge Revolution.

For my silencers I like my BowJax Ultra II Bowstring Silencers, very compact, with a custom string, of course :o)
Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/30/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sure.
Tell me the recipe.
So far geese suck. The dog sure likes them tho.
After surgery, I'm not sure what I will be able to do just yet.
A cheap bow to shoot in my yard to keep me from going crazy til I can get out, yeah, you betcha....
First 3 weeks, can't pick up more than 5 pounds, next 3, no more than 10 pounds.
That's really gonna screw up my waterfowl season, but will help with dog training. I have to walk 3 miles a day. A stocked pond right by my house with a flat walking trail around it is nice.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure.
Tell me the recipe.
A cheap bow to shoot in my yard to keep me from going crazy til I can get out, yeah, you betcha....
First 3 weeks, can't pick up more than 5 pounds, next 3, no more than 10 pounds.
That's really gonna screw up my waterfowl season, but will help with dog training. I have to walk 3 miles a day. A stocked pond right by my house with a flat walking trail around it is nice.
Filet breast out. Cut cross grain, 1/8-1/4" thick slices.

Dehydrate for jerky. Nothing better to do with them. May be the best jerky that I have ever had.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Slice the breast meat and skewer on wood sticks. Marinate in teriyaki sauce for 6 to 10 hrs in fridge. Grill. You will be back for more.
I use the drumsticks and quarters in a gumbo. They need to braise low and slow till the meat is tender. Shrimp, goose and andouille sausage in a dark roux gumbo is a fall staple for hunt camp

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sure.
Tell me the recipe.

Good morning splttermatic, this is how we cook them, really good and steak like:

One issue with goose breasts, is that when you cook a whole one they plump up to about 2” and you end up getting either an undercooked or overcooked product. This is how we solved that problem.

With a very sharp knife cut the breast all the way through on the horizontal so you have two halves, season with Kosher salt and pepper, let rest for about 15 minutes.

Then BBQ the halves at high heat until rare by cooking each side for about 3 minutes, you do not want to over cook them here! Cooking time depends on the size of the goose.

Then in a pan make a couple of packages of Knorr Green Pepper Sauce, you can use the directions on the package, I use Red Wine for ½ of the liquid for a flavor boost, this is optional. You want enough sauce to submerge the breast meat, the number of packages will depend on how many breasts you are cooking.

Then cut the ½ breasts about ¾” thick like you are cutting a steak, put them in your sauce and let them simmer, until they are cooked to your liking this does not take very long a couple of minutes, I prefer all of my wild game medium rare and more on the rare side.

Then serve with your favorite sides and pour the gravy over the slices, enjoy!

The Goose hunting picture is a day that in a morning hunt 2 of us shot 75 snow geese and 15 ducks. Sorry for the poor picture quality, I took the picture from a picture on my wall.

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Sure.
Tell me the recipe.
Filet breast out. Cut cross grain, 1/8-1/4" thick slices.

Dehydrate for jerky. Nothing better to do with them. May be the best jerky that I have ever had.

Good morning 10gaugemag,

Yes, they make great jerky, they also make exceptional Sausage. My friend had a killer recipe for goose sausage, and they were awesome sausages!

Cheers~

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/01/22.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So how do you get rid of the goose stench ?
Can't stand their smell....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
So how do you get rid of the goose stench ?
Can't stand their smell....

If that is the case, don't eat them, in any recipe, would be my advice. The ones I have been eating do not stink, but I shoot them in Canada, don't smell anything bad up here??

To be honest all we do here is take the breast meat and leave everything else behind for the Yotes.

Cheers

KB

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Us too.
We get geese that just plain stink like a goose.
If I breast any, and walk in the house, the wife throws me out, and makes me strip outside. Sensory overload for me...
Anyways,
I should get my bow back soon, and now to get it set up, and figure out what arrows to choose.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Arrows have changed dramatically over the years, that's for sure!

When I started bow hunting in 1982 I was using big aluminum Easton arrows with feathers we have come a long way since then!

The arrows I am using now are KENETICS XT's which are Carbon, super tough, light with a very slim diameter they weight under .05 grains.

The Fletching's I use are Blazers, very small profile and plastic.

My Broadheads are Slick Trick, very small with a great cutting diameter and lethal!

Cheers ~

KB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 56 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,564
Posts18,453,755
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.