Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If I'm dressed so I can get at it easily, I prefer a good crossdraw (Bianchi 111 is a good one) with a 4 or 5" model 29

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Don't carry it on your backpack strap. The minute you take your pack off, you are unarmed. There is a reason why chest rigs like the Hill People Gear are so popular. Because the work perfectly for this.

Yep, plus there's enough room to carry a few other things you want to get to fast, like a small camera, headlamp, snacks, etc.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just to update the thread. I went with a Hill People Gear Kit Bag and have been using it for a couple weeks so far and have no complaints. Works great for carrying my 1911 when I am bird hunting or bow hunting and right now during my rifle season my binos fit nicely in place of the handgun.

There is enough room for me to carry my gps, compass, wind checker, spare ammo, cell phone, knife, and a few slim jims.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Trappererick
Just to update the thread. I went with a Hill People Gear Kit Bag and have been using it for a couple weeks so far and have no complaints. Works great for carrying my 1911 when I am bird hunting or bow hunting and right now during my rifle season my binos fit nicely in place of the handgun.

There is enough room for me to carry my gps, compass, wind checker, spare ammo, cell phone, knife, and a few slim jims.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.
My method.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
My method.

I am curious to know your harness equipment as well as what all you are carrying.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
My method.

I am curious to know your harness equipment as well as what all you are carrying.

It’s a Marsupial gear pouch with Zeiss 8x32’s and a laser rangefinder pocket on the side. The attached pistol carrier is from them..carrying a Glock 17… there’s enough room for a truck key, fire starter and wind powder.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nashville
Originally Posted by KC
The best way to carry a handgun while hunting is to leave it locked in the truck. If you encounter something that you can't kill with a hunting rifle, then you have more problems than a pistol can solve.

I disagree.

Sure, assuming you see the threat coming, a rifle is a better option. Most times things happen too fast and completely unexpectedly and you’ll be lucky to get one shot off with your rifle before it becomes useless. A sidearm can be used with one hand if that “problem” happens to be on top of you.

Up here that sidearm is bear spray but I’d carry a pistol (as well) if it ever became legal.

You and me both. The place I’m most likely to run into trouble where I hunt is in the parking lot or on one of the trails while going in or out. Lots of people use that area for dog-walking, strolling, bird-watching, and dope-smoking. The perfect time to mug an old man for his stuff is when he’s got his rifle slung or after he’s put it away. A little something on one’s belt can be a deterrent to that if visible, or an unhappy surprise if concealed.

I carry crossdraw, which keeps me from banging my guns together, and I can draw with either hand. Have a tanker rig, but haven’t been able to get it adjusted to my liking so far.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This wouldn't work with hip belt mounted pouches, but combine:

- a Safariland mid or low UBL universal belt loop(make a shim to reduce loop size if not using a duty belt

- Safariland male and female QLS and/or T spacers to increase space between holster and belt loop

- 3 hole compatible holster. Safariland is obvious, but other companies such as T Rex Arms make holsters that have compatible 3 hole backs.

The UBL rides under a hip belt well and the QLS/T spacers create a gap for the hip belt to set in.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
A good holster and a good belt are key.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Carry in the back pocket of a Filson cruiser vest. It balances out the stuff in the front pockets.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I always just carry a standard belt holster and put my pack belt over the top edge of it. I have been doing that for 53 years and never found a need to carry another way. In the USMC I carried a 1911 in a duty holster the same way. Nothing wrong with the "newer gear" but the old system worked for me for over 1/2 a century.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
For me it’s hard to beat a good belt with a good cross draw holster. I’ve carried a K frame, Trooper MkIII, and a 629 this way for a while now. On an ATV, in and out of a vehicle, heavy coat, or with a backpack. Sometimes all in the same jaunt.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep.

Affirmative.

Uh huh.

Precisely.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Yep.

Affirmative.

Uh huh.

Precisely.

I was talked into my first cross draw by a leather smith that came near to getting hit by a half feral dog. Had his 1911 in a strong side with insulated coveralls on. Dog appeared and he just couldn’t get unzipped to fetch the piece. Went back to his shop and made his first cross draw.

Kenneth Campbell, KC Custom Gun Leather, Springville, AL. Unfortunately he passed as a result of a failed heart surgery. But I’m the proud owner of his work; holster & belt and it won’t leave the family. Made to fit a 6 1/2” 629 factory comp. Don’t know how it could be carried strong side. Maybe appendix 😄

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is what I use for my Ruger .357 mag.

I don't generally carry a revolver when I am carrying a rifle. But I carried this once when following a wounded black bear into thick brush.

Tactical Holster

Last edited by KC; 03/27/23.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone got or seen a slick, MINIMALIST (the lighter the better) way to backpack with a Glock 43? Open carry.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by KC
The best way to carry a handgun while hunting is to leave it locked in the truck. If you encounter something that you can't kill with a hunting rifle, then you have more problems than a pistol can solve.

That is the worst advice on how to carry a gun I've ever heard ...

What's the point of owning a handgun if it's locked up in the truck when you're out in the woods ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Y
Y
Sticky holster in front cargo pocket is not to bad as long as it doesn’t flop around to much in pocket.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by KC

That is the worst advice on how to carry a gun I've ever heard ...

What's the point of owning a handgun if it's locked up in the truck when you're out in the woods ?

Hey, trailhead thieves gotta eat too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by KC

Lot to be said for this. Most of us aren't all that good with a pistol and waiting for the dangerous animal to get in your range could be fatel! That saig I do carry a handgun of some kind with me every where. Usually my 9mm in the carry holster. But actually would rather carry something like my 32 long for small game if I come on it. As for dangerous game, no way would I throw down my rifle to grab a handgun!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (30Gibbs, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 35sambar, 345dl, 25 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.