Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Remington40x
I had (but have since sold) a 1930s Stevens 416 target rifle (for which I paid essentially $0, having purchased it with a Redfield Model 3200 24x scope for the price of the scope) that would average 0.51" for ten 5-shot groups at 50 yards with ammo it liked. Given that I'm an abominable bench rest shooter (my technique would have to improve substantially to suck), I thought it an extremely accurate rifle, particularly given its age.

The Remington 40x single shot which replaced it would average 0.37" for the same ten 5-shot groups at 50. And as you might imagine, that 40x cost a bunch more than that 416 and scope combination - in a range of $30/0.01 inch improvement.

I saw an old Steven's target model yesterday. It's one of those that haunts you. I am thinking about going back and buying it. I know it is going to be a "shooter". Probably damn accurate. Nice old rifle with a lot of character. Don't know what model it is, but it is set up with target irons at the moment. I don't need it, but at $279 it is a great deal. Probably made in the 50's, if I were to guess its vintage. Now, getting your azz whipped with an old rifle like that is always an eye opener. To me, that would be a fun rifle if I were in the OP's shoes, but I like sleepers and old rifles like that..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve had and shot them all and at $600 I’d take the tikka T1x over and over again! Shoot Lapua center x or SK match and it will do the rest. I did install a Jard trigger don’t waste time and money with the springs because the factory trigger won’t go below 1.5 pounds no matter what you do!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T/C Contender Carbine w/match barrel. Yeah, I was using bag rests.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunzo
Bipod on the front, a bag in the rear, 50 yards, barnyard money shoots amongst friends.

My bud is leaning CZ 457V. I can't disagree, but mentioned the Bergara. Doubt he'll drop much coin to scope or trigger it appropriately.

Other options?

Yeah , used CZ 452 and money left over ?

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, my bud showed up today with the 457 on the adjustable Boyds adj. stock model with a 6.5 -20 Vortex.

The trigger had a lot of pre travel but was crisp afterward. Adjusted the pre travel screw to release & backed off. 2.5# My bud was ecstatic & I was glad as I wasn't in the mood for a tear down. I'm willing to play with all the adjustments & alternative springs later if he wants it.

The 457 does seem to be a step up from previous models, I might learn from it's case holder & extractor profile & fix the ejection on my 452.

The groups later, but like the 457 from what I've seen.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, my bud showed up today with the 457 on the adjustable Boyds adj. stock model with a 6.5 -20 Vortex.

The trigger had a lot of pre travel but was crisp afterward. Adjusted the pre travel screw to release & backed off. 2.5# My bud was ecstatic & I was glad as I wasn't in the mood for a tear down. I'm willing to play with all the adjustments & alternative springs later if he wants it.

The 457 does seem to be a step up from previous models, I might learn from it's case holder & extractor profile & fix the ejection on my 452.

The groups later, but like the 457 from what I've seen.

Keep us posted man. Those 457's seem like damn nice rifles. I've had them in hand a few times, but never bought one. Same can be said for the T1x... You mentioned doing some shoots, do you guys have any KYL targets? Those are always fun. It is a great test of a rifles accuracy. By the time you are done, you'll know which rifles shoot best. They are very easy to set up and are reasonably priced.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
When your talking "600 dollar" .22's theres not a great difference in any of the major brands, CZ 452 - 455 - 457, Tikka T1X, Savage MKII etc. I have had good a not so good in all those. What it boils down to is ammo, conditions, rest set up, practice and shooter ability. You pay your money and take your chances.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Another vote for the 452. I have a pair of them, both with cheapo 4-12X scopes. They both shoot bug holes at 50 yds. With SK Rifle Match.

I have a 455, also. It's a very good shooter, too. But it ain't a patch to those 452s.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 10/03/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
"do you have KYL targets?"
I bought one & we tried it last week at approx. 50 yards, not far enough. Needs to be at a 100 or more, right? We'll have to experiment.

I don't know if they shot yesterday, but haven't heard anything. I got invited to a casual barnyard IPSC match, & considering I hadn't shot that in years I just had to go. I'd been better off shooting 22's.

But I'll keep an eye on the 457 & know soon enough if it's good to go.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Used Anschutz, Krico, is you want a bolt gun.

It is hard to beat a 10/22 tuned by CPC when you're on a limited budget.

One thing with buying a used .22 is that they almost never wear out. As long as steel brushes and rust are kept at bay they will last a very long time.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
"do you have KYL targets?"
I bought one & we tried it last week at approx. 50 yards, not far enough. Needs to be at a 100 or more, right? We'll have to experiment.

I don't know if they shot yesterday, but haven't heard anything. I got invited to a casual barnyard IPSC match, & considering I hadn't shot that in years I just had to go. I'd been better off shooting 22's.

But I'll keep an eye on the 457 & know soon enough if it's good to go.

That is why my club does head to head shoots on them. The first one to hit all 8 targets wins. I've won with a single shot because a lot of guys miss.. We are all bad azzes though, right? If you shoot 4 and the other guy shoots 5, the one that hits the most wins.. The traditional way to shoot it allows the person to stop where he feels comfortable. If that is 7, then so be it. If he goes for #8 and misses, he's out with no points. Keep in mind #8 target is 1/4". As for the KYL targets being too close at 50 yards, guys can talk that kind of schidt, but we know how a lot of us shoot after I posted a rimfire shoot last year. I'd say, unless you are shooting a damn good rifle set up perfectly, with ammo it loves, you are not going to be hitting the 1/4" target every time. That's just from what I saw from guys trying to shoot 1/2" dots on the shoot I posted...I'm pretty sure I didn't see you shoot that event. You may want to look it up and give it a try.. It might be an eye opener..

BSA MAGA
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I guess a word on how we shoot. Portable bench, bipod & rear bag, scope. Standing or irons would make it interesting for sure. Old farts, 68-72, we like to sit & the aid of a big scope.

From the groups posted, you'd be hard to handle in the iron sight dept. for sure. But I do have a Rem 550-1 with a Williams peep I am going to play with, it's been fun. So sad I didn't play with peeps more when younger.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dunno what a used 10/22 costs these days, but with a little work they can sing along with the choir.

Shot poorly when purchased used for $100. Power Custom trigger installed and a full length bedding job (barrel and action) and an El Paso Weaver K2.5....SHAZAAM! Total investment is about $200. I suppose triggers and bedding gunk have gone up in price, this was done a bit over 20 years ago.

I have another couple target guns, one assembled for Olympic competition with Redfield Olympic aperture sight aboard a Rem 513T that does quite well. And a .17 RF German Parlor rifle that shoots OK....offhand.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 10/05/22.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well Dan, the guy to beat in our crowd actually is shooting a near bone stock 10/22. Not to take anything away from his ability, but the barrel he's shooting is out of the norm for a stock Ruger. Seen him shoot 2 or or 3 different brands of ammo with stellar results across the board.

But....they want to shoot up close at times, I'm trying to open the distance every week. Most rifles appear good at close up. Hard to score when every shooter is shooting one hole 5 shot groups. But this Kentucky so that's not uncommon. whistle

Just fun. We shot at plastic pin heads at 50 some years ago, a 6 power scope rule. Then things just petered out. Ya gotta watch the equipment race or casual shooters soon loose interest.

Now, just another barnyard game starting up, who knows where it will go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Muffin
CZ 455, bag rest, 5 shots, 50yds,1" squares, standard trigger, OVERpowered scope, NORMA TAC-22:

If you can find them for $600

Great post. I’ve got the same experience with both my CZ452 & 455

Hard to top CZ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gunzo, there ain't nuthin' wrong with a 10/22 if you just dress it up a bit. Mine has a stock barrel too, and it really, really likes some of the European SV ammo, like SK Standard +. AND, it has uses other than punching paper.

I am..........disturbed.

G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I tried to beat the ghost 10/22 with an American Predator & CCI SV. No go. Drug out my 452V & same ammo but ejection failures tried my patience.

Said screw it, & winning, though bittersweet, with a Kidd Classic & Wolf MT. I don't have 8 bucks a box in the stuff as I've had it for a while. But if they knew, it would be hard to live down.

My bud bought the new CZ with the same goal in mind, beat the big mouth with the $105 10/22, as he calls it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
FWIW, I did the bedding job myself, it’s not difficult. One needs to pay close attention to how much goop and where it is applied. AND be sure the release agent is properly applied. After seeing the results a friend asked that I give his the same treatment and I did so. Same results.

I am..........disturbed.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I put a green mountain barrel on a used pawn shop 10/22, pillared the action screw and bedded the front and rear of action. Painted the stock, dont worry it was birch/beech not the walnut. That joker is lights out and one of my favorite 22s to shoot. Been stripping the action paint off newer ones I find. Then letting them ride in a tumbler for a little bit, finish them with deft spray sealer.

My most accurate 22 at the moment is an old Winchester 320. Havent had a bolt 22 yet that could shoot with it. I did have a heavy barrel kidd, but like a dummy I sold the barrel wanting the lightweight version. It doesnt shoot near as well.

Last edited by killerv; 10/06/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Savage MkII TR.
Showed promise. MSRP 600.

Its a tank and if not doing bench or NRL22 forget it.
Cool but im more of a sporter guy. Less than a box through the Savage and its going to shop on consign.

Will just run my cz455, that i hardly shoot

If i was gonna target shoot at 100 or past, the Savage would stay.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 85 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.