Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello all.

I'm looking for advice on a DIY fly in black bear hunt for 2024. I'd like to go in the fall when they are up in the alpine eating berries , flying in to camp for a few days. The thought would be to get dropped off more in the area of where they will be vs hiking in from a road as I'd like to do it solo and the thought of multiple trips to and from the road isn't appealing and it cuts into hunting time. Thinking flying in may take me from quite a bit of road hunting pressure as well.
I haven't narrowed down the area yet but it seems like there are plenty of bears in several units.
Would anyone be able to help with some advice on transporters, outfitters , etc(I'm good on gear, rifle, etc)? I've Googled and saved several, planning to call once the fall season is over.
I may cross post this in General Big Game as well.

Thanks for your help,
PigGuy

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have no advice on a specific area or operation but think it is important to state that some (many?) transporters won’t fly you in solo, for safety reasons.

Some may, but I am unsure of who.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You stated for a few days. In the fall you can be weathered in the tent for five days. In five days on the road system, you should harvest two to three Black Bears. I would save the transporter fee, and but that money into extending your days in the field. You can drive right up into open alpine country. I suspect your biggest screw-up will be shooting the first Black Bear that you see, concentrate hard on learning how to judge the size of bears.

Send me a private message a year from now, if you're leaning towards a road hunt, I'll help with locations. Weather will be your biggest make or fail factor. Come two weeks to early, there will be lots of leaves on vegetation, come a week to late you might be traveling in 10" to 18" of snow in the high country.

Good Luck,

Last edited by AGL4now; 10/01/22.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you both for the replies. AGL I’ll send over a PM today

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (338reddog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 2ndwind, 35 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,038
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.