Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by gunner500
60 yards for me on cardboard deer silhouettes stapled to a couple tomato stakes, 5" S&W smooth cylinder 629 44 mag, and a 10.5" barreled Ruger Super Blackhawk, both factory irons.

Both revolvers fired the 300 gr LBT WFNGC's, the Smith being a couple hundred fps slower than the Ruger.

Those heavy slugs penetrate like nobody's business! I just loaded up some 305 grain, wide meplat type loads, pushed by heavy doses of H110. I am going to sight in my 7.5" Redhawk with them.

Looking forward to RJM's next trip out here, so we can have a little more long range fun.

Yessir, they do, even at 1100 from the Smith, you twos long range handgun shooting would cause me to face plant a rock bank via an aneurysm trying to math windage and elevation!

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mackay Sagebrush

Back in the mid 1980's my father spent a short two weeks in a nursing home before he passed away and I would visit him during my lunch hour and after work. One day after talking to Dad for a while I took a stroll down the hall of that nursing home and noticed that one room with the door open had trophies hanging all over the walls. I came to the open door and looked in to see Elmer Keith sitting in his chair. I knocked on the door frame and he motioned me in and had a chance to have a short talk with him for a while.

He was doing poorly and his conversion would wonder off occasionally or end abruptly and after about 4-5 minutes I could tell that he was tired and I took my leave.

My Dad passed away as mentioned after about 7-9 days there and the last time I walked down the hall to get to my car I noticed that Elmer's room had been cleaned out with an older lady now in it. Glad I had the chance to see and talk to a part of him before he passed.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Red,

That place was off of Ustick Road. I remember exactly where it was.

His son Ted lived a short distance from us, on Shamrock, and my sister took horse riding lessons there. His grandson Greg and I (IIRC Greg was a year behind me) went to the same schools.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice to see this thread come back.

When you think about it, a 44 or 45 sixgun launching ~300 gr cast bullet @ 1200-1300 fps has similar ballistics to a civil war era target rifle. Not surprising that such bullets are capable of penetrating man or beast at extended ranges.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great reading!! Thanks for the info..

Molon Labe
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
This has been a super-informative thread. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and thanks for the great front sight pics.

A man's capacity is usually relative to his goals.
-Karl Erlich, The Sea Chase
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by deflave
This thread instilled a strong desire to do some shark shooting.

Snicker!

How did I miss this?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

When you think about it, a 44 or 45 sixgun launching ~300 gr cast bullet @ 1200-1300 fps has similar ballistics to a civil war era target rifle. Not surprising that such bullets are capable of penetrating man or beast at extended ranges.

An interesting perspective, and one I had not thought of. Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Red,

That place was off of Ustick Road. I remember exactly where it was.

His son Ted lived a short distance from us, on Shamrock, and my sister took horse riding lessons there. His grandson Greg and I (IIRC Greg was a year behind me) went to the same schools.

Exactly, its on the SW corner of Ustick and McMillen and last time I drove by it the building still looks like it is in operation.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Heck I remember the little tiny store called the "Ustick Merc"

In the 70s that place was like a throwback to the 1800s.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

An interesting perspective, and one I had not thought of. Thanks!

Years ago (okay more like a decade and change) I remember reading an article about the 458-400 express, essentially a shortened necked down 45-70 (easier ways to get there with todays commercial 480 brass) The stated goal of the round was to match the black powder 45-70: 400 grs @ 1200 fps.

Don't know why I didn't make the connection sooner, but really the 44 mag and 45 colt with 300-330 gr cast bullets @ 1200-1300 fps aren't far off that mark. I don't have a ballistics calculator, but would expect those heavy bullets would still be traveling 700 fps way out there. And I have no doubt at that sedate velocity they'd still be capable of significant penetration.

One of these days I need to get into long range handgun shooting. There's a decent spot less than an hour from home on the silt flats that would allow me to shoot to extended ranges. And the wet silt would provide some means of measuring penetration at extended ranges.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Last but not least is that you don't want RJM shooting at you, even at nearly 800 yards, with one of his .41s. smile

And that IS a fact Jack.

It is pretty impressive to watch first round (or even second round) hits on gopher mounds out to 800 yds from any one of Bob's several SA or DA 41 mags.

I had a lot of fun trying to keep up, but it was a feeble attempt.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RJM
I've seen Flave shoot and I can only say I wish I was as rock solid as Iceman...

He put three or four out of six on a gallon jug DA with my .41 S&W Mountain Gun...at 100 yards...standing.

Bob,

Would that be the one which now lives in Id? Or in NH?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you get the opportunity to try long range sixgunning, it'll open your eyes.

On a deer hunt several years back we were in a cabin on one side of a bay with the other side approximately 400yds distant. [Linked Image]

I'd brought a box of plinking ammo for my 480 and would plink across the bay in the evenings. After I figured out the drop I was hitting a rusted out 55 gal drum.

I've seen a shooting buddy place all five shots from an FA 475 linebaugh on a 200 yd ram sillouette, and he was shooting offhand.

If you'd consider a 45 acp to have sufficient power to kill a deer within 50 yds, a 44 mag with a 240 gr cast bullet has the same power at 300yds, and the heavier cast bullets are better yet for extended ranges.

The way I look at it, you can never be too good of a shot. Practicing at extended ranges helps you at every range.

I've sunk my share of mooring buoys in AK. Shooting over the water is good fun and makes it easy to 'walk' them in. We'd shoot all kinds of stuff at them at 750 yards from handguns to 35 Remingtons, all with open sights.

It ain't hard hitting a 3 foot mooring buoy at 750 yards with open sights, once you get the sight picture figured out.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Bump this up for an entertaining read

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Thanks.

Right after the Model 629 was introduced, I latched on to one of the first 4" guns to arrive in Oklahoma. When deer season came, I dumped a little whitetail doe with it at just shy of 150 yards. The bullet entered one shoulder and exited through the other flank.

But I didn't just get a wild hair and pop a cap at a deer on the far side of a pasture. I had shot that revolver all summer with 10 grains of Unique under a machine-cast 240-grain BB SWC. I had also been on the Oklahoma National Guard pistol team for a couple of years by then. They had issued me a match-tuned 1911, a 7.5" S&W M-41, plus all the ammo I could carry, and I was putting in overtime trying to wear them out. I had put a lot of small game on the table with the M-41, which I'm pretty sure is still the only target pistol in the OKARNG inventory with holster wear.

I wouldn't try a shot like that today, but I had moved through my Elmer Keith phase and was late in my Ed McGivern phase so I was pretty sure it could be done.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Thanks. Enjoyed the thread. Not sure how I missed it originally (maybe I didn't sometimes afflicted with a bad case of CRS).

Paul

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Redhill
Mackay Sagebrush

Back in the mid 1980's my father spent a short two weeks in a nursing home before he passed away and I would visit him during my lunch hour and after work. One day after talking to Dad for a while I took a stroll down the hall of that nursing home and noticed that one room with the door open had trophies hanging all over the walls. I came to the open door and looked in to see Elmer Keith sitting in his chair. I knocked on the door frame and he motioned me in and had a chance to have a short talk with him for a while.

He was doing poorly and his conversion would wonder off occasionally or end abruptly and after about 4-5 minutes I could tell that he was tired and I took my leave.

My Dad passed away as mentioned after about 7-9 days there and the last time I walked down the hall to get to my car I noticed that Elmer's room had been cleaned out with an older lady now in it. Glad I had the chance to see and talk to a part of him before he passed.

Red,

I was (still am) a big fan of Elmer’s! I was on vacation with my family and was passing through Salmon. Knowing that Elmer was in the nursing home, I wanted to attempt to visit him. The family wasn’t at all happy at the prospect…..so I never got the chance. It likely wouldn’t have happened, but a guy can dream!

I would’ve loved to have spent a little time with him! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Great read! I've watched Bob shoot Ground Squirrels Double Action with a couple of my S&W's that were waaay out there & it never impressed him, he expected to do it. That only comes from lots & lots of trigger time. A good six gun man can become very comfortable shooting double action with great accuracy if he works at it.
There's another famous six gun man that lives just a block off of Ustick Ave. in Boise that's also a real snake with a single or double action.

Dick

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This has been a great thread. Enjoyed reading it and can't believe I missed it in 2013.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.