Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Looking for a way to carry my 3" 1911 on my backpack. Would like to carry it on my left shoulder strap and looking for someone who makes a holster and attachment system that will allow me to do this. My gun is a 3" 1911 with a Holosun RMR. Does anyone know of a system that will work for this? Cant carry it on the waist strap as I have some pockets all ready on there.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Obviously, you can strap/thread the holster somewhere on the pack or pack strap.. Molle, etc? Does it flop around and is it in your way, frequently? Can you reach it and draw easily?

I'd recommend an actual gun belt for the holster that you can wear around your mid. Cross draw, maybe?
Or a chest rig.

You'll never be separated from your firearm.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Trappererick
Looking for a way to carry my 3" 1911 on my backpack. Would like to carry it on my left shoulder strap and looking for someone who makes a holster and attachment system that will allow me to do this. My gun is a 3" 1911 with a Holosun RMR. Does anyone know of a system that will work for this? Cant carry it on the waist strap as I have some pockets all ready on there.

Are the items in your hip belt pockets more important to have at hand than your handgun? Way easier to put that stuff in your pack and carry on the waistbelt.

I like the safariland ALS paddle holsters. Put it on the padded waistbelt for the hike. When you drop your pack, thread your belt through it and your carry gun is in the same place.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Don't carry it on your backpack strap. The minute you take your pack off, you are unarmed. There is a reason why chest rigs like the Hill People Gear are so popular. Because the work perfectly for this.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wanted to do the backpack strap "thing" since it carries the weight absolutely best of all but I have not found a way to do it without the gun flopping around. More or less gave up on it. For a while I carried 4" barreled DA and 4-5/8" barreled SA Ruger revolvers in Uncle Mikes vertical shoulder holsters. This worked very well under a jacket if I cinched the pack belt down so the holster somewhat rode on top of the belt inside my jacket instead of bearing the weight all on my shoulder. The pack strap would more or less keep the unbuttoned jacket closed enough to conceal but I could easily access and draw my gun .. often times with my left hand with a sort of "turn it around on the way out" draw. (It helps to be fairly ambidextrous.)

Sometimes I carry my revolver in a hip holster underneath my pack strap. Depends on the gun, depends on the holster, depends on the pack. With an old Cabela's alaska guide pack frame I found it pretty comfortable. Seemed to have a "pocket" kinda behind my hip bone. Putting the gun in there didn't create any pressure points. Other packs, not so good. Generally today I choose a day pack with a flat nylon waist band rather than a padded waist band or one with no waist band at all. Most of those ride either above or below my holster positioned on my pants belt so a hip holster works fine.

Most of the time, though, I carry in either a leather or nylon bandolier style holster. I have a couple of El Paso Saddlery 1942 tankerman holsters, one for 4-5/8" ruger single actions, one for 4" S&W N frames. I did 5-6 years with those. Today, though, mostly I've switched to Diamond D holsters. I have a Guide's Choice for a Ruger bisley .454 and a Denali nylon holster which fits both 4-5" DA revolvers and 4-5/8" DA revolvers. It's the nylon holster that sees the most backpacking use along with a S&W 329PD.

All of them get a bit heavy on the shoulder by the end of the day. The pack strap option starts to look mighty good again around 2-3 in the afternoon.

There is one other option I've done. Back in times before I had good holsters I carried either an 8-3/4" barreled N frame .357 (this gun was from before they were shortened to 8-3/8" or designated as the model 27) or a 7-1/2" barreled super blackhawk in the top of my external frame pack with the right hand side not cinched clear tight, just the weight of my sleeping bag keeping everything snug but accessible. I could reach up behind my head to draw. It was pretty effective back when I was younger and more flexible.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The hpg kit bags work great. Either that, or or get a good drop holster that holds the pistol securely and has a leg strap.

Be warned though, if you go the drop holster route, you will likely find yourself saying "you're either SWAT or you're NOT." In your best Sam MF Jackson voice. Which can be embarrassing if, like me, you're.... not.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I made up my own chest pack with a 9"x10"x2 1/2" Fieldline pack and a Crooked Horn Bino harness.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a Eberlestock nosegunner, works pretty well for carrying my S&W Shield in 30sc, which is nice and thin, didn't care for it as much with my Glock 20.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the ideas. I have been using this but just trying to cut down on the straps. It works well and is pretty comfortable.

https://2aholster.com/product/litepath-chest-holster/

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Don't carry it on your backpack strap. The minute you take your pack off, you are unarmed. There is a reason why chest rigs like the Hill People Gear are so popular. Because the work perfectly for this.

I agree. Can also carry a few essential items that never leave you with the pack off.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

I agree. Can also carry a few essential items that never leave you with the pack off.

+1, and great for high country fishing when you don't need the backpack, just a few flies or lures.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
el Paso Saddlery 1942 Tanker

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
When I carry in the field I always use a Wilderness Safepacker (link below). Depending on the size of the firearm these can get a little bulky, but the concept is sound. With the velcro system you can attach them to a lot of things, plus your firearm and an extra magazine are always covered and fully protected from brush. it only takes a couple of seconds to click the buckle and access your weapon too. They're not cheap, but you buy it once and you're good - made in the USA! I have 5 and my wife has 1, so 6 in the family (so far).

https://www.thewilderness.com/safepacker-concealment-holster/

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best way to carry a handgun while hunting is to leave it locked in the truck. If you encounter something that you can't kill with a hunting rifle, then you have more problems than a pistol can solve.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by KC
The best way to carry a handgun while hunting is to leave it locked in the truck. If you encounter something that you can't kill with a hunting rifle, then you have more problems than a pistol can solve.

I disagree.

Sure, assuming you see the threat coming, a rifle is a better option. Most times things happen too fast and completely unexpectedly and you’ll be lucky to get one shot off with your rifle before it becomes useless. A sidearm can be used with one hand if that “problem” happens to be on top of you.

Up here that sidearm is bear spray but I’d carry a pistol (as well) if it ever became legal.

Pitter Patter!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been trying to solve this problem for years. A good solution does not exist so far. I've carried on the hip in a leather holster under the pack waist belt. It actually worked decent with a not-too-heavy pack and assuming you didn't need super quick access to it. Accessing it required the pack belt be undone. Attaching the holster to the pack belt works really well and gives quick access, but there's no concealment and if you take your pack off, the gun goes with it. When I carry like this, I pack a second, paddle style holster in my pack so when I get to camp I can clip on the paddle holster and still be armed. One major caveat of pack belt type of carry is when the pack is put on/off the gun and holster swing all around muzzle sweeping everything and everyone until the belt is clipped tight. Obviously you can take the pistol out before the on/off event; however, holstering/unholstering is one the most dangerous things you can do with a loaded gun.

Chest rigs / bino harnesses work pretty well. Some even come with a pouch designed for a pistol. They often don't accommodate a full size gun and if they do, the chest rig is ostentatiously obese. I like the chest rig during hunting season a lot, but for overnight summer hiking trips, it's cumbersome and hot and looks tactical mall cop.

Last option which worked pretty well this year during hunting season is a cowboy/Han Solo dedicated gun belt. Use your regular holster and a second belt - not the belt holding up your pants. The second belt and holster are worn cowboy style so the gun is dropped below the hip. The hip belt of the pack rides on your waist above the gun and holster. I found this works with some packs and not others...depends on the pack hip belt design. When this works, it works really well.

It's all a compromise between accessibility, concealment, gun size, and comfort.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a badlands super day pack I recently bought off of a member here. It has a pistol pouch on the inside of each hip strap.
It seems to be positioned pretty well but I have not put it to the hauling test yet.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here's a great solution.

https://blade-tech.com/products/tek...;mc_cid=dbaca450db&mc_eid=f996314962

Have a receiver on your pack belt, and another on your pant's belt. Click the holster onto the pack mount while wearing the pack. Pack comes off, take the holster off the pack and click it onto your pant's belt.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 3,122 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.