Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rjf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Came across a guy this weekend that had a $5000 muzzleloader with arrowhead parts. Shoots 110 by weight of blackhorn and claims is accurate to 800 yd, using parker bullets, variflame ignition and a descent scope. As interesting as it sounded, I did some research and found a few builders and the cost was $2600 up to $9500 for a custom muzzleloader.

I then found CVA has adjusted their powder data for Paramount. Paramount line was listed at I think 112 by weight if I remember correct. One Cva Paramount is $1900 down to around $900. The Paramount can shoot the same amount of blackhorn as these high end rifles. Difference appears to be the stock configuration and not using carbon fiber barrels.

So the question is what can these $5000 dollar muzzle loaders do that a muzzle loader that cost about 2/3 less cant do if the same amount of powder and bullet is used?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My thought is most kills are less than 100yds so you could get a $100 dollar muzzle loader and do the same as the $5000 one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
100% Danny,

Just like rifles.

A $300 rifle is not "Just as good as most $3000 ones".
With the exception of springs and screws, everytjing on it is probably
of lesser quality. Less effort in assembly too.

But, it will function, shoot way better than most will need or can use.

That puts the $300 and the $3000 guns in the same category.
Good enough!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
rjf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
100% Danny,

Just like rifles.

A $300 rifle is not "Just as good as most $3000 ones".
With the exception of springs and screws, everytjing on it is probably
of lesser quality. Less effort in assembly too.

But, it will function, shoot way better than most will need or can use.

That puts the $300 and the $3000 guns in the same category.
Good enough!

I was actually thinking this same thing, just wanted some opinions. Figured I was going in the right direction.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Get the less expensive, but equally effective, rifle and spend the rest on ammo.
Just a thought.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My take is: what good is an 800 yard rifle on game?

Answer: if it’s your hobby to punch targets at 800 yards, then the rifle is prob worth it to you. But you better not be shooting game at 800 yards. No matter what you are shooting, there is not one made that has enough energy left

I have yet to see anyone post data showing a bullet capture at that distance with a nicely expanded bullet. The highly touted ELR won’t. Not enough velocity left.

Last edited by txhunter58; 10/01/22.

Venor ergo sum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by txhunter58
My take is: what good is an 800 yard rifle on game?

Answer: if it’s your hobby to punch targets at 800 yards, then the rifle is prob worth it to you. But you better not be shooting game at 800 yards. No matter what you are shooting, there is not one made that has enough energy left

I have yet to see anyone post data showing a bullet capture at that distance with a nicely expanded bullet. The highly touted ELR won’t. Not enough velocity left.

Everyone knows external ballistics when they talk long range shooting of animals. Long range animal shooters don't talk terminal ballistics. That's why.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/01/22.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Agree on all the points above. If long-range muzzleloading is your game, check twist rates. The CVA may not be twisted as tight.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
"Performance" is a word that should be defined.

If accuracy with some given projectile is the definition, then quality and rifling geometry of the bore, along with the quality of the barrel to stock fit is all that we are discussing. In that case a TC, Lyman or CVA will preform as well and any other muzzleloader regardless of cost. Even those with unreliable locks will kill game as well as any because it's the bullet hole that does the killing, not the gun itself. The gun and even the bullet or ball are simply tools used to make the hole in the game.

So in the same way a used Honda car is every bit as good for going to work in, or going to the grocery store, as the best BMW or Ferrari, so is the cheapest muzzleloader as good as the most expensive.

The high end guns are hand made with stocks and often many of the metal parts too. They are fitted to the customer and bespoke in every detail and so they cost more because the gunsmith can't work for free any more then you can. But this

https://www.gunsamerica.com/965429454/CUSTOM-54-CAL-FLINTLOCK-BY-STEVE-ZIHN.htm

doesn't kill a deer any deader than this.

https://www.sportsmans.com/medias/c...M5NmFhNDU4ODkxYjcwZGVlZjQyMmQ5ODJmNDE1YQ

So if performance is held to a definition of killing game and nothing else a plastic stocked gun with a scope is what you should get.

But I often wonder: if that's what performance is why not get this https://ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/specSheets/18028.html instead of either one of those?

And why would anyone spend any money of a nicer home, nicer car, nicer clothing, or nicer anything.....is we are to define "performance" in a way of simply getting a job done?

Last edited by szihn; 10/01/22.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
ASG rifles are rated for smokeless so thats a huge difference. Good luck getting a 275gr bullet moving 2800fps+ with BH209. Arrowhead also does not use Variflame but it does use a LRMP module. Its a far better design than the Variflame.

IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Never, and I mean never would I spend $5000 on a muzzleloader. Not even if I were shooting long range. There is a gentleman I know that uses a Thompson Center Hawken stocked rifle with a Rice barrel with Lee Shaver peep sights and can consistently hit a 36"x36" target at 1200 yards. I'm willing to bet most of you know him too. Oh and wold it have enough energy to kill a deer. If you see the impact on the target I would say yes. But no person with any amount of sense would attempt it.
Some people just have $$ to throw away.

Last edited by ClemB; 10/01/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No matter how ballistically wonderful those extreme MLs are, you still effectively get only one shot at game. What happens when you break a leg or gut-shoot one half a mile away, or even half that distance? That’s problematic enough with a repeating centerfire. Anyone shooting at animals with anything needs to think about what happens when things go awry.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by szihn
So if performance is held to a definition of killing game and nothing else a plastic stocked gun with a scope is what you should get.

Makes perfect sense.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=txhunter58]My take is: what good is an 800 yard rifle on game?

/quote]

Billy Dixon might disagree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Adobe_Walls

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own an Arrowhead ML. I bought it because I wanted to be able to shoot at game out to 400 yards or so CONFIDENTLY so if the opportunity presented itself, I could make the shot, not just take the shot. It shoots as good as some of my custom guns..... consistently .75 moa or better. A lot of muzzleloaders will get the job done for less but few will deliver that level of performance consistently and repeatedly. I felt if I was going to take a shot that far, I owed it to the animal to have the best equipment I could get my hands on.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Overkill45
ASG rifles are rated for smokeless so thats a huge difference. Good luck getting a 275gr bullet moving 2800fps+ with BH209. Arrowhead also does not use Variflame but it does use a LRMP module. Its a far better design than the Variflame.

This in spades. If I were to go to a Paramount I would buy the ASG breech plug no questions asked. They are using a superior barrel as well that can withstand the pressure of smokeless, a paramount barrel cannot and CVA very clearly states that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobinpa
I own an Arrowhead ML. I bought it because I wanted to be able to shoot at game out to 400 yards or so CONFIDENTLY so if the opportunity presented itself, I could make the shot, not just take the shot. It shoots as good as some of my custom guns..... consistently .75 moa or better. A lot of muzzleloaders will get the job done for less but few will deliver that level of performance consistently and repeatedly. I felt if I was going to take a shot that far, I owed it to the animal to have the best equipment I could get my hands on.

I see that they only ship to FFLs. Are their rifles, not the 700 conversions, considered “firearms”.

Not going there, just curious. Looks like you made a good choice, and a responsible one.👍🏻

What are you shooting in yours?

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by bobinpa

I see that they only ship to FFLs. Are their rifles, not the 700 conversions, considered “firearms”.

Not going there, just curious. Looks like you made a good choice, and a responsible one.👍🏻

What are you shooting in yours?

It can be converted to a modern rifle

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The Remington 700ML can not be converted to cartridge configuration..

Last edited by Muddly; 10/02/22.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DANNYL
My thought is most kills are less than 100yds so you could get a $100 dollar muzzle loader and do the same as the $5000 one.

Maybe where you hunt. But on my farm I can shoot to 400 yards from multiple stands. Our muzzleloader season is now and oddly enough the bucks to get pretty Randy the first half of October so you best be in the woods and ready for anything

I didn’t spend $5k+ on an arrowhead rifle but I did drop about $1500 for an arrowhead barrel and all the accessories that works great on my encore frame. It is just as accurate as my Jon Beanland center fire builds with smokeless or BH and I shoot it to 400 yards to confirm zero and scope dials every year

Like I said on another post recently, what I spent for the barrel and accessories (not to mention an appropriate scope) is a lot of money for our 10 day muzzleloader season. But it tends to be 10 of the best hunting days of the year so I was happy to do it

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

578 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,214 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,301
Posts18,449,049
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.