Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Morning, all.

I'm booked for a boat-based coastal black bear hunt off Sitka. I'm starting to consider foot gear options. We're going to be on a 45' boat as base camp with aluminum skiffs to shore. My research thusfar has shown most prefer a full wader to a pair of hip boots for this style of hunt. Has anyone any experience with the Sitka Delta waders? I've spent quite a few miles in Lacrosse alpha burly boots, and these waders appear to incorporate them right in. I'm curious the durability experienced.

We will be meeting up with the outfitter at SCI in February and this will be high on my list of questions for them. Our booking agent suggested either hip boots, wading pants, or chest waders.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon Gleason
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You better have a talk with someone, as there are no black bears around Sitka. Who are you hunting with?

You’re unlikely to need full waders, especially on a spring hunt. Simms makes some nice waist highs that wear like pants and have front pockets.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Probably boating down to Kuiu. When on kuiu I live in my simms waders. I hike 6+ miles a day in them.

Go with the full, guide waders. Get the Good boots.

Probably could sell easily after the hunt.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Full chest waders for me for anything like that. Often can get by with wading pants, but I simply don't see the difference. Full provide room for error. Keep you dry in wet brush, keep the wind off all the way up your chest, and thats warmer and drier quite often.

Pants high would be a waste to me.

I"m becoming a big fan of high and dry stocking foot. With Keen non waterproof hiking boots. H/D still not quite perfect but love the knee pads part of them. Kneeling which is done often, is much nicer and no need to wear knee pads under the waders anymore.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin
Probably boating down to Kuiu. When on kuiu I live in my simms waders. I hike 6+ miles a day in them.

THIS! good bear numbers on Kuiu, shoot every wolf you see!

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Your bear hunting not trout fishing or shooting fowl, your Lacrosse burlys should be fine. The only time you might go over the top is getting out of the skiff. In PWS most of the time black bears are shot when they are on the beach.
What does the guide say? Are you hiking for said bears?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I confused by clothing brands a little.....Flying into Sitka commercially, float plain to the boat to HUNT Kuiu.

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did this type hunt several years ago. Your Burlys will be fine. I used my regular Irish Setter (GORE-TEX) whitetail boots. Never had wet feet. Step off skiff right onto beach.

Buy the best rain gear you can afford. My hunt was eight days and was with Ninilchik Chaters. Prince William sound area.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, all. We're hunting with Alaska Raven Guides. I've a set of Sitka Cloudburst pants and jacket, as well as GTX gloves and hat.

Brandon Gleason
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Full chest waders for me for anything like that. Often can get by with wading pants, but I simply don't see the difference. Full provide room for error. Keep you dry in wet brush, keep the wind off all the way up your chest, and thats warmer and drier quite often.

I"m becoming a big fan of high and dry stocking foot. With Keen non waterproof hiking boots. H/D still not quite perfect but love the knee pads part of them. Kneeling which is done often, is much nicer and no need to wear knee pads under the waders anymore.
I use both pants and chest waders for different activities. Packing with chest waders sucks! Too many buckles and straps over your shoulders. It is much easier to regulate temperature with the pants, also.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I rarely need chest highs and like how waist highs afford access to things on the belt such as a knife and extra ammo. Waist highs are also much easier to wear with a pack and handgun.

I’d avoid the burleys and get a breathable wader with boots that provide actual ankle support. You’ll be more comfortable and less injury prone.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Your guide should be advising on all clothing. Mine, Brad Dennison, sure did.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin

Calvin, what boots do you wear? I've worn out my cheapos and am ready to buy good wading boots. I also hike a lot with them on and looking for something that'll hold up.

To the OP: I do prefer stocking foot waders with separate boots.
Even the cheap boots have worked better than the looser fitting bootfit waders. You can send up doing a lot of beach walking on bear hunts and you want good sturdy boots and ankle support for these rocky bands beaches -- especially with a heavy furry load on your back!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by rost495

I use both pants and chest waders for different activities. Packing with chest waders sucks! Too many buckles and straps over your shoulders. It is much easier to regulate temperature with the pants, also.
I've packed more than a few moose with waders too. Always clean moose with waders on. Keeps my clothes cleaner for sure. Less hassle in the middle if it starts to rain like this year again.

That said everyone is different. The straps on waders have never come close to bothering my Barneys packs.

To me its just a lot easier than rain pants also... put the waders on, go. I have climbed short sheep mountains in them. Dont' wear much if anything under them. Don't go fast packing. Carry an external set of full zip puffy for over if it gets cold glassing at times.

Granted the 10 foot plus bear hides in a pack can suck but for my old azz that weight sucks as bad with or without waders on.

As noted YMMV, the guys I work with almost all run waders period around types of water based hunts.

Hope to shake hands here in a few weeks. Have a safe trip up! Roads were in good shape a week ago. More sheep on the roadway by sheep mountain than I expected this time of the year FWIW.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 907brass
Calvin, what boots do you wear? I've worn out my cheapos and am ready to buy good wading boots. I also hike a lot with them on and looking for something that'll hold up.

To the OP: I do prefer stocking foot waders with separate boots.
Even the cheap boots have worked better than the looser fitting bootfit waders. You can send up doing a lot of beach walking on bear hunts and you want good sturdy boots and ankle support for these rocky bands beaches -- especially with a heavy furry load on your back!

When fishing and in/out of them a couple times a day I use an old pair of Korker cable tie's. When hunting calls for waders, I use lace up Simms G3 Guides. The Simms are much stiffer and offer better ankle support.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And to OP: Prior to moving to AK, I did a boat based black bear hunt. I used hip waders without incident. However, knowing better now, in that situation I would prefer pant waders or even chest waders. We had relatively flat waters, but getting off the dingy with waves pushing in could be challenging to keep your boots dry. I typically use pant waders when hunting conditions require more than knee boots.

Edit to add: Pant/chest waders also are advantages when sitting in wet vegetation.

Last edited by JimInAK; 10/05/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JimInAK
When fishing and in/out of them a couple times a day I use an old pair of Korker cable tie's. When hunting calls for waders, I use lace up Simms G3 Guides. The Simms are much stiffer and offer better ankle support.

Thanks Jim! I just got a pair of the simms boots at my local fly shop. Excited to put them through the wringer.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,901
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.