Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Went to Billings yesterday to use up my Cabellas points (700).

Anyway I walked into the Gun Library and it was about empty, mostly junk. What happened to all the classic stuff?

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
With the falling economy, many of them have put a pause on buying nice used collections.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
That’s been my experience as well. The gun library, like the rest of Cabelas is not worth visiting.
I bought a few guns there pre Bass Pro.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking

Anyway I walked into the Gun Library and it was about empty, mostly junk. What happened to all the classic stuff?
They used to do regular price reductions when a rifle sat there for a month or so here in Billings. That Hells Canyon 300 WSM you saw sitting there for $999 has been there for at least 6 months, maybe even close to a year. The same applies to that MRC 280 AI. They just don't seem to want to do the regular price reductions any more. Oh well, their business, their call.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by viking

Not many are desperate or stupid enough to get 60c on a dollar or less?

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Back in the day I used to go to Cabela's about once a week. I haven't been there in years now.

Scheels is my go to store. Fantastic.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I don't think BP intends to continue selling used guns. It seems that Scheels has "followed suit", as their St Cloud store is mostly devoid of used guns, too. I wonder if Scheels believes they no longer need to carry used guns to compete with BP, or other local stores (Mills Fleet, Runnings) that don't deal in used guns.

What are Scheels stores closer to you doing?
Another thing about Scheels, they won't ship, receive, or transfer guns who's brands they don't carry (new guns) in their stores.

Will people interested in used guns be pushed to the on-line auction sites?

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
If you go to the on-line library you will find a fair number of firearms listed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Back in the day I used to go to Cabela's about once a week. I haven't been there in years now.

Scheels is my go to store. Fantastic.

Same comment.

NRA Patron
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I spent an hour in the Tridelphia Cabelas Thursday. The Gun Library was full. Plenty of bolt rifles, levers and shotguns. I was only interested in LH Bolt rifles, of which there was only one, a Blaser R93. Nice rifle. But out of my price range. Several Pre-64 M70's with "not bad" prices.

PLENTY of ammo of all flavors, also at "not bad" pricing for current environment ($25-$40 per box). Zero empty shelves. Plenty of shotgun and pistol powders in the reloading section. Not so much rifle powder. Almost walked out with an 8lb jug of US869. However, not loading any big boomers at the moment...

Fondled a LH Tikka T3x SS SL in 7RM with the grippy camo coating. I like it. If it had been a .270 / 6.5x55 / 6.5CM, it would be headed to my FFL. Also handled a Savage Impulse. Initially, somewhat interested in the ambidextrous bolt swap option. However, after handling it, zero interest. It is a BRICK.

First time ever at the Tridelphia store. Time well spent checking stuff out. But, at the end of the hour, nothing I couldn't live without...

IC B3

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I remember the Buda store, that was a good one back in the day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Around here Cabelas and Scheels don’t even get thought of. People are now going to the auction house where they only lose 10 cents on the dollar instead of 50. And with the auctions being online it’s a wider audience and from what I have seen used going for new price.

Swifty
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I bought a few there, no more, too high.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
They emptied & closed the one in Lex. Ky. after the BP buyout. It hadn't re-opened for a year or so afterward. Now, I don't know. I pretty much quit going after they filed the store with junk & kept the higher pricing that Cabela's had on the good stuff.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
LGS says walnut and blue doesn't sell like it used to. Plastic striker fired and hand guards are in demand. They do deal in very nice 1911s and such.

I wonder how long, or ever, the ammo makers will run lower demand stuff like .300 savage.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cabela’s Gun Library in Acworth GA is PATHETIC. Mosin Nagants and plastic stuff in glass displays. Give me a break.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bass Pro in East Peoria prices used guns at way over new gun retail. They had a used Henry single shot 357 priced at $699. Retail was $549. I raked them over the coals during my online review. Got a call an hour later from the manager expressing incredulity at my statements. I said he needed to do a little soul searching and research when pricing used guns. An hour later he called and apologized and offered it to me for $449. As it had either the upgrade from recall or was made past recall, I bought it.
Haven't been back. Oh, yeah, getting their credit card saved me another $50, IIRC, and I haven't used it since.
Gotta call them out sometimes.
BTW, best hundred yard group, after mounting a Burris 4X compacr, was with Lyman 358156 gc and major load of 2400.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I’ve come across some really good finds “for my taste anyway” in the Gun Library over the years and I agree the selection has dropped off in this current market. I believe the folks that were on staff that were tasked with buying and acquiring guns specifically for the libraries have been phased out a little. I don’t know if they still have the position of buyer or “Gun Library managers”. They may but as we all know BPS has ruined the core of Cabela’s.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Newsflash, the good ol'days are gone.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I remember when Cabelas used to have racks of used guns that you could just walk up to and look at. You could take them off the rack, cycle the actions, shoulder them etc.... The only thing you couldn't do with them was dry fire because they all had trigger locks but if you were interested they'd take the lock off so you could dry fire them. I bought several rifles at decent prices off those racks but now all used guns are behind the counters and you have to get someone to hand them to you one at a time when I used to look at 100 in a day. This was the Sidney NE store and Dick Cabela used to walk around the store talking to people. Nice guy.

When BP bought Cabelas they screwed it all up. Haven't bought anything from them in years.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
659 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.