Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
What makes these scopes unique? Or worthy of a new release? Do they track properly and hold zero after impacts?

The fact that any company attempts to sell any optic without proof of these qualities is beyond me. Why aren’t these very basic and fundamental qualities tested and marketed? Especially when a new model is released. Everything else is secondary! I hope these scopes are fantastic, but I’d like to see more testing an stuff that matters.

A little background details should clarify some questions.

Sightron is owned by Kenko. Kenko is THE main optics mfg in the Philippines. When you see "Made in Philippines" on any brand scope chances are it was made by Kenko. As the owner of Sightron you can feel pretty warm and fuzzy knowing that Kenko makes sure that scopes with the Sightron name on them get amazing quality control as well as being able to be priced more competitively. Sightron has a strong history of producing quality scopes.

Thanks. I thought Kenko was their Japanese manufacturer for their higher end scopes and their Philippines manufacturer was for their lower end models? No?

Regardless, what kind of testing has been done on these scopes to show tracking and durability?

Last edited by SDHNTR; 10/01/22.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kenko has facilities in both the Philippines and Japan.

FWIW, Sightron is the only Pacific Rim Riflescope brand, that I am aware of, that are made either in the Philippines or Japan and none of their Riflescopes are made in China.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Scopro also has a optics facility in the Philippines. They make a bunch of the stuff including scopes for Burris. IMO Kenko is better. The Sightron STACs are made at the Kenko plant and excellent scopes for the money.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bull64
What’s the distance like between the thicker parts of the reticle on the duplex? Is it like Leupold’s wide duplex,or more compact like a standard duplex?

The dimensions can be viewed on their website. I prefer a narrower gap, but the one that interests me, the 1.75-5, has crosswires that measure .48 at 100 on 5x, pretty coarse and good for the woods I think. Don’t need any scopes right now, but these will go on the list.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Off topic.

Although not my preferred format for everything, they're non-illuminated SFP MOA, the Sightron S-Tac 3-16x42 MOA-3 CLNY has for ONLY $240 is a crazy good bargain. I am enjoying mine, greatly. Seems like a dandy scope for a lot of scenarios where you don't need your ideal perfect solution. Just a seemingly damned good general purpose aiming device.

Kudos to Sightron for not going to China.

After just looking at the new S1 offerings, I gladly ordered another S-Tac 3-16x42 MOA-3 for $240 shipped.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/02/22.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Bull64
What’s the distance like between the thicker parts of the reticle on the duplex? Is it like Leupold’s wide duplex,or more compact like a standard duplex?

The dimensions can be viewed on their website. I prefer a narrower gap, but the one that interests me, the 1.75-5, has crosswires that measure .48 at 100 on 5x, pretty coarse and good for the woods I think. Don’t need any scopes right now, but these will go on the list.

I thought about getting one of these from Doug just out of curiosity. Thoughts on it were the same as what you mentioned. Right now I have a 4x33 M8 on a single shot .357 Max rifle and a Sightron 2.5x32 on a 77/357. The 1.75-5 would be a little more flexible on both....as long as it holds zero.

As Pappy mentioned, the subtensions can be found at the following under the Reticle Details drop down:

https://sightron.com/collections/s1-series/products/s1-1-75-5x32-g2-duplex

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
My inside source at Sightron walked me through the G2 upgrades....pretty impressive. Other than the 'S1' designation, these are a complete redesign. They are made in Sightron's facility in the Phillipines.

As soon as the A.O. version 4-12 with the HHR reticle is available, I'm going to wring one out.

Good shootin' -Al

Hi Al,

Did you ever get the 4-12x? If so, how has it been for you?

Thanks,

Jason

PS - Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I see Doug has these on sale and the Kenko ownership adds a bit of confidence in the designs.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I’m following this I’m a fan especially the SII Big Sky but I also have several SII that I like. I was not impressed by the older SI if these are as good as the older SII I’ll give them a try.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have had great luck with a number of Kenko products through the years, so had no reservations about trying a couple of the new SI 1.75-5's on woods rifles. Happy with them so far. Tracking is good (static tested and during sight in - not dialing for distance with these). They've held zero after some accidental drops and knocks while climbing over icy logs, and, lastly, the view is very good and bright, especially for the size and price point.

There's not a lot of reliable options for smaller X, 1" tube scopes these days, so glad Sightron decided to offer these. Won't likely be a huge market for the 1.75-5's and, by extension, I wont be surprised if they dont offer them long, so if they continue holding up well I'll stock up on them while still available.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starbuck
They've held zero after some accidental drops and knocks while climbing over icy logs, and, lastly, the view is very good and bright, especially for the size and price point.

Thank you, Starbuck! Can you elaborate on the drops and knocks? I've had my share as well, with different scopes!

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by Starbuck
They've held zero after some accidental drops and knocks while climbing over icy logs, and, lastly, the view is very good and bright, especially for the size and price point.

Thank you, Starbuck! Can you elaborate on the drops and knocks? I've had my share as well, with different scopes!

Sliding over from being propped up on trees while climbing over snow covered dead fall, a couple of stumbles/slides in deep snow or mud with accidental rifle drops, miles of rattling down forest service and logging backroads, etc. Nothing scientific or repeatable like you see some guys doing, but what I'd consider normal duty for a rig that gets carried in hand in big woods settings.

Please keep in mind that I'm only referring to zero retention, not tracking and RTZ.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Starbuck. I don't care how it tracks, as long as it holds zero.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

86 members (AGL4now, 35, Ashworth, 160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 996 guests, and 718 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,500
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.