Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Just picked one up for a price I couldn't pass up. I've read previous Kimber horror stories, but I'm hoping for the best. Never owned a Kimber before. Anyone have any load recommendations? 165? 180gr? Guy who owned it before was along on out last Newfoundland trip and took both a Moose and a Bear with it, so it at least shoots decent. Anything to check over other than a good cleaning?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a thread for standard Kimber checks, mainly front action screws not contacting barrel threads and mag function/binding.

I had one that shot 168 TSX’s into 0.75 MOA or better for three shots if I did my part. I used 67 ish grains of RL-19 and a CCI 250.

Hard to beat that package for everything.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have owned a dozen or more and never had any of the issues folks complain about. As Scorpion posted, check out that thread and bed it properly, and it will likely serve you very well!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes checkout the "fiddle phuuck with your kimber" thread, and be prepared to fiddle phuuck with it.

Personally I'd shoot it. If it shoots like the average kimber, rebarrel it and save on fiddle phuucking time. If it shoots within your parameters, just keep shooting.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 09/29/22.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned two Montanas chambered in .300 WSM both were excellent sub-moa shooters right out of the box no checklist needed....Good luck...Hb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Yes checkout the "fiddle phuuck with your kimber" thread, and be prepared to fiddle phuuck with it.

Personally I'd shoot it. If it shoots like the average kimber, rebarrel it and save on fiddle phuucking time. If it shoots within your parameters, just keep shooting.

Hmm. I’m up to 9 Kimbers now. Only 1 was difficult.

I’m betting you’ve owned nowhere near that many and are just spouting off.

To the OP:

Shoot 200gr Accubonds in mine, but Federal TLR shot good too before it was discontinued. It’s under a different name now.

Just be sure you’re hanging on for that first round. I was shooting 7mm magnums the other day then switched to a Montana 300. Got a good cut on the bridge of my nose on that first shot.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Bellydeep,

Yeah, I'm guessing it's going to have a sharp recoil. I shoot 300 RUM frequently, but that rifle weighs quite a bit more. Do you happen to reload your 200gr AB's? I have a solid supply of those already.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use 71.0gr of Hunter with a WLRM primer to push a 150gr Part Gold. Good groups and 3 dead Mule Deer so far. None went more thjan 3 steps. Don't even care what the MV is.

George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had 2 300 WSM MT's (3 really, but the first went back to Kimber). Both shot sub moa with a wide variety of stuff. I've had 15 or 16 (losing track) Kimber MT's. All would shoot something moa, some would shoot a lot of things well.

The MT 8400 is a GREAT stock, and is the reason the round is so shootable in such a light rifle. The barrel is too light for the round, but it's still pretty shootable. I'm old enough I don't care to deal with that level of recoil anymore.

To me a 300 is all about 180's and that's all I ever shot game with in mine (I did play around with both the 200 NAB and NP though).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had three 300 WSM's and used them from New Mexico to Alaska. Like Brad, I concentrated on 180's - Partitions and Accubonds with stellar results. H4350 was my standard powder. Over the years I began to get "beat up" a bit too much by the cartridge and went back to the .270 Winchester. Since then I have adapted the 6.5CM with equally great results which now account for a 5x5 bull, two cows and a Barren Ground caribou. As written here many times, a well constructed bullet with good placement is the key to success.
With over 20 Kimber on my past list, I have had to make some modifications to coax optimal accuracy in a few rifles. Using "Brad's Method", I have had great results. I will say my Mountain Ascent and the Montana 84M in 6.5CM have been great additions without the need for any "tweaking".
Unfortunately, Kimber's move to Alabama has resulted in almost no production in rifles as I monitor the usual online sites. Apparently their handgun sales are still high in demand.
Good luck to the OP and yes a good cleaning is a proper way to begin its "second career".

Last edited by bigwhoop; 10/01/22.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Mine is a tack driver! H4831sc and 180 NAB or even better touches holes with 190 CX at 2860 fps. All my Kimbers shoot great if I do my part.

Good Shooting!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bellydeep

To the OP:

Shoot 200gr Accubonds in mine, but Federal TLR shot good too before it was discontinued. It’s under a different name now.

Just be sure you’re hanging on for that first round. I was shooting 7mm magnums the other day then switched to a Montana 300. Got a good cut on the bridge of my nose on that first shot.

Of course I haven't. If I spend over a grand on a rifle and it shoots 3" groups, I'm smart enough to never waste my money again.

Search engine "kimber montana issues". All that needs to be done. "Kimber tinkering" - translation - the end user gets to be quality control.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had a M70 SS Classic and a buddy had a Kimber Montana in 300WSM. Both shot 168 TTSX's @ 3100ish via R-22 very well.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fhuqking Brokedick Whining Pointy Headed Retards TRYING to talk rifles,never ain't not funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

The Montucky 300 Whizzum,is farrrrr and away the BEST rifle ever offered,in said chambering. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

That being said,the 7mm Whizzum fhuqking DESTROYS it,as it will happily launch .796 BC's at 2850fps+ in issued guise. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I've lonnnggggg been in the business of buying Montuckies that "don't shoot" and patiently await seeing the FIRST in the flesh. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

You Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't take issue with your success with said montuckys, you can have all you want.

I wasn't impressed.

To the op, shoot it. If it shoots, continue shooting. If it shoots like schiet, rebarrel it.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 10/02/22.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've owned 4, 1 good, 3 lemons. The 3 lemons were older guns made slightly before the "MOA accuracy standard" came along. As part of that, Kimber started doing most of the "phiddle [bleep]" for you. The 4th gun, a .308 Mountain Ascent, shoots 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch 3 shot groups at 320 yards when I have the 3.5-10X on it .. usually have a 2.5-8X though.

I think a Montana in .300 WSM is pretty near ideal for a one-gun guy. It checks off a lot of the boxes. Assuming accuracy and no quirks in the chamber affecting sizing of cartridges, that is.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's funnier than fhuqk,that you Drooltards love to expound on all the schit you can't do,as you perfect your "Victim" status...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Joe Average sure as fhuqk ain't very bright,as you Fhuqktards quantify obliviously. Hint.

You Crying Kchunts are wellllllll shy of obtaining a FIRST fhuqking clue and your STUPIDITY never disappoints,in it's outright hilarity. I REALLY enjoy how "tricky" something as fhuqking simple as a rifle,is for you gals. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bellydeep

To the OP:

Of course I haven't. If I spend over a grand on a rifle and it shoots 3" groups, I'm smart enough to never waste my money again.

Search engine "kimber montana issues". All that needs to be done. "Kimber tinkering" - translation - the end user gets to be quality control.

I think operator error was likely the problem.

Rifles that light are hard to shoot. Definitely not for everyone.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Bellydeep,

Yeah, I'm guessing it's going to have a sharp recoil. I shoot 300 RUM frequently, but that rifle weighs quite a bit more. Do you happen to reload your 200gr AB's? I have a solid supply of those already.

Yes, I reload for mine. 4831 or RL-22 work nicely.

If you’re shooting a RUM the WSM shouldn’t be a problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Regardless of how it shoots and I bet it shoots well - I'd rebarrel to 7 wsm as it's a better mousetrap in that wrapper.

Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.