-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do you or would you anneal brand new cases before loading?
I have 40 300 H and H cases that I've shot a few times and just neck size. I literally just finished annealing them, one the whole neck was split down to the start of the shoulder, if you can call it that on an H and H case.

I also have a bag of 50 Brand new pieces that I bought several years ago that has never been opened. Since I'm already set up to anneal should I go ahead and do them too or just true up the case mouths.

I've reloaded for years and until today I've never annealed a case. I'd just chuck em' and buy new. But with today's availability of components, especially 300 H and H I want to treat these super nice.

Open for all advice.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
True them up and load em.

No need to anneal new brass.

Semper Fi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You will get several answers. But new cases no, once they are once fired then yes. Also anneal before you size, don’t size then anneal. My routine is decap brass with universal decamping die. Then wet tumble, dry, then anneal. If you don’t wet tumble then regular tumbler to clean them. Once annealed I trim, size without expander ball and use Wilson expanding mandrel to open up the necks. Some say anneal every 2-3-4-5 firings others say anneal after every firing.

Last edited by 79S; 09/27/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I anneal when they need it. Rather subjective, but it does occur to me when it's time. Target ammo that will be shot for the smallest possible groups should have the brass annealed more frequently. Say every other firing

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank ya'll,
Out of the 40 (mixed head stamps) I just annealed and then neck sized,12 had slit or cracked necks. I guess I got the goody out of them.

Some that I have are head stamped REM-UMC 300 MAGNUM. They must be 60 years old or so LOL. I may retire that batch and just start from scratch. grin

" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wouldn't retire any brass. Anneal and give it another workout. I have Peters brass. I have brass stamped RA 45. I have UMC brass. I keep headstamps the same, but a brass retirement program doesn't exist

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to check how much your sizing die is reducing the necks. I was getting splits with 375 H&H brass after 2 loadings. Turns out the sizer was taking the necks WAY down.
Sent it back to RCBS along with 5 fired brass and they fixed it.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My routine is pretty much like that of 79S. Only difference is I use a Frankfort Aresenal depriming tool and a Sinclair mandrel die to open up the case necks. I also aneal after every shooting. I used to aneal every other shooting, but decided to do it after every shooting for consistency purposes.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don’t know if it’s needed or not but…. I bought 100 Lapua 308 brass and it was annealed when I got it. I figured Lapua knows what they are doing and since I have a new UGLY annealer and it needed a workout, I annealed all the new brass I had.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Do you or would you anneal brand new cases before loading?

New cases are annealed, the manufacturers polish the shell cases at the end of the process to make them bright and shinny. Before this polishing step the shell cases look like military shell cases.

Michael

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 450BM
I don’t know if it’s needed or not but…. I bought 100 Lapua 308 brass and it was annealed when I got it. I figured Lapua knows what they are doing and since I have a new UGLY annealer and it needed a workout, I annealed all the new brass I had.

Meaning the Lapua brass has now been annealed twice before firing it?

Over annealing ain’t good……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by 450BM

Meaning the Lapua brass has now been annealed twice before firing it?

Over annealing ain’t good……
As long as one of them didn't get too hot, it won't hurt.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anyone think that this guy is "over thinking" this subject a little too much?

HIS set up looks like a $5K solution to a 10 cent problem.

Call me a peasant, but this guy seems his life long hobby is just annealing brass...

this is ridiculous....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
He don't shoot much, spends all his time working on brass.

NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Come on Seafire, you don’t put your sneaked brass under a $100K microscope after you anneal it? Peasant…😅

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You commenting on the video I posted? If so, as the founder and President of the Annealing Made Perfect company yeah, he probably has a bit of interest in working on brass.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
You commenting on the video I posted? If so, as the founder and President of the Annealing Made Perfect company yeah, he probably has a bit of interest in working on brass.

As a matter of fact I was. You seem to have taken a simple "joke" post straight to heart. Maybe you have a vested interest in the Co. IDK, neither do I care. I looked into what that outfit cost and while a small percentage of shooters may need an elaborate set up like that, I'd bet a larger percentage would just buy new brass, or a simple yet effective set up like I did. Have a great day.

NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang autocorrect, that’s annealed brass not sneaked.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

As a matter of fact I was. You seem to have taken a simple "joke" post straight to heart. Maybe you have a vested interest in the Co. IDK, neither do I care. I looked into what that outfit cost and while a small percentage of shooters may need an elaborate set up like that, I'd bet a larger percentage would just buy new brass, or a simple yet effective set up like I did. Have a great day.

Who cares if you can’t afford it. That doesn’t change the facts that he is presenting. The truth is the truth.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As long as one of them didn't get too hot, it won't hurt.

Now I understand what you meant!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.