Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Hello Everyone!
Hope all is well!
Some years ago, like many of you I think, I fell into the moly bullet crowd. I didn't realize and added accuracy, and maybe a bit faster, with more powder of course. I haven't purposely loaded or shot moly bullets in many years. It did seem that when I went back to non -coated bullets
my accuracy was a bit better. Any of you experience the same?
Anyway, the reason I find myself on the subject is that I went through part of my 22 bullet stash in anticipation of my new Sako 222 on the way. I do have the Berger bullets I remembered but the 52 grains MEF's are molied. I have several other bullets to try. I have poloshed the moly off in the past, or so I thought. Not sure if it's gone or not. What would you do? Shoot them?, save them for another project? What do you'all think?
Take care,
Rick

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot moly EXPRESSLY,for the last 30yrs. Hint.

In a Deuce,I want 50 'Max,in Lapooey brass. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shoot moly for most things, my 22-250AI only gets moly. It’s a Douglas barrel on a Kimber Montana, you know those little light pencil barrels don’t shoot anyway but it tries. I loaded some moly’d 88 grain ELD-M’s to try and after settling on a load, I started playing with seating depth’s. Started at 2.620 into the lands and it shot decent but backed off to 2.610 and it did better. 2.600 sucked.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
There’s plenty of things to worry about but moly ain’t one of them.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wouldn't bother trying to remove the moly. Clean your barrel **thoroughly**, then load as normal for moly. I shot a lot of moly back in the late 90s/early 2000s with a .220 Swift and a 7mm STW. I've more or less stopped using it but not because it didn't work .. and work WELL.

Accuracy .. had to use different loads, but it was every bit as good as naked bullet accuracy. Working from memory, the load for the Swift was a home-coated 50 grain ballistic tip, WW brass, F210M primers, and 43.5 grains of H380. Half inch for 5 shot groups and vicious expansion on varmints. The STW had 2 loads, one was reformed WW .300 H&H brass, moly coated 160 grain partitions, 87 grains of H5010, and Fed 215 primers, and the other was 83 grains of IMR 7828 with Rem STW brass, home coated 120 grain ballistic tips, and Fed 215 primers. The 2 STW loads shot into a single 3/4 inch 200 yard group with no sight adjustments needed .. convenient!

I put around 2000 rounds through the swift, then assumed it'd be shot out so I consigned it. The shop owner and a customer called one day asking what was wrong with the gun. Apparently to their fairly trained eyes, the barrel appeared to have had 200, not 2000, rounds through it. So IMHO moly works for extending barrel life when used with moly-specific cleaning techniques.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Hello Everyone!
Hope all is well!
Some years ago, like many of you I think, I fell into the moly bullet crowd. I didn't realize and added accuracy, and maybe a bit faster, with more powder of course. I haven't purposely loaded or shot moly bullets in many years. It did seem that when I went back to non -coated bullets
my accuracy was a bit better. Any of you experience the same?
Anyway, the reason I find myself on the subject is that I went through part of my 22 bullet stash in anticipation of my new Sako 222 on the way. I do have the Berger bullets I remembered but the 52 grains MEF's are molied. I have several other bullets to try. I have poloshed the moly off in the past, or so I thought. Not sure if it's gone or not. What would you do? Shoot them?, save them for another project? What do you'all think?
Take care,
Rick

Bar Keepers Friend will take all the moly off. Mix in a jar of water and swirl it around for a few minutes. There is reason bullet manufacturers quit moly, it sucks.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag for that RL 17 data

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 15 invisible), 1,904 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.