Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Condolences, of course, to the De Bruyn family.

Article said “..killed instantly.”

…and I’ve gotta somehow envy a man who gets to go out like that - what a thrill.

I mean, Buff charge vs nursing home…😜

Sure beats dying slowly of cancer, right?

Does anyone here know of people that hunt them with a .300 Win Mag?

Last edited by KillerBee; 09/23/22.

KB

BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by KillerBee

…and I’ve gotta somehow envy a man who gets to go out like that - what a thrill.

Yes. I have a late friend that killed one handily with a 300 Win Mag on film. Another friend killed one easily with a 7x57 Mauser. That story was published in a magazine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

Yes. I have a late friend that killed one handily with a 300 Win Mag on film. Another friend killed one easily with a 7x57 Mauser. That story was published in a magazine.

Thank you for answering that question for me pathfinder76, because I built this .300 Win Mag as an all-purpose rifle, for hunting Arrica. I am a .30 cal fan.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/02/22.

KB

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

> heck i would you buy me the hunt i would use a 300 Win. Mag. my single shot rifle and my ammo > its the man not the cartridge

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You can’t just hunt dangerous game with whatever cartridge you like. Both instances I shared above where a result of their bigger bores going south.

Last edited by pathfinder76; 10/02/22.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find it hard to believe that lest say @ 100 yards broad side that a 300 Min Mag with Nosler 180 grains on a double lung shot would not take one down? I have never been to Africa and was unaware that they tell you what to shoot. There is no way a lion can survive a well-placed 300 Win Mag shot.

There are a lot of other species that this rifle would be good on, the couple here, that a 300 Win Mag could handle easily.

Cape Buffalo with a Bow

Elephant With a bow

KB

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
crshelton,

Good to know you're so good at "pelvis shots."

Here's one that wasn't quite precise enough, made by a guy who was very good shot:

[Linked Image]

This one wasn't quite precise enough to keep the bull from going half-a-mile, and taking a total of 11 "premium" bullets from a .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .450 Express before the buffalo decided to die.

I have used pelvis shots in certain circumstances, and also seen others try them--including one of my very experienced PH's, who'd seen my first shot on a Botswana bull went into the right spot in the bull's chest. But he hoped to stop the bull before it got into some nearby tall grass--and both 500-grain solids from his .458 Winchester didn't quite hit bone. This didn't matter, because the bull fell within maybe 60 yards after my initial shot with a .375 H&H and a 300-grain Fail Safe bullet.

There is a lesson here.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I find it hard to believe that lest say @ 100 yards broad side that a 300 Min Mag with Nosler 180 grains on a double lung shot would not take one down? I have never been to Africa and was unaware that they tell you what to shoot. There is no way a lion can survive a well-placed 300 Win Mag shot.

There are a lot of other species that this rifle would be good on, the couple here, that a 300 Win Mag could handle easily.

Cape Buffalo with a Bow

Elephant With a bow

There are cartridge restrictions all over the world. Including the country you live in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My only question is, why do they let bowhunters hunt them with bows? Not that I ever want to do that, because I do not have a Black Death wish! lol

KB

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Call them and ask. How the hell would I know.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cartridge "restrictions" are VERY loosely enforced over there.There is a Mark Sullivan video with a now deceased Campfire member, Allen Day, handily taking a Cape Buffalo with a 300 mag. The PH I hunted with, had a client take one with a 303 British, but it took eight shots to knock him over. Personally, I would not use a 300. I've only shot two and I used a 416 Rigby.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I will say is that there is no way on earth "Black Death" is walking away from a heart shot with a 300 Win Mag, period!

KB

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve seen 2 buffs run away with a .375 heart shot. They both ran well over 100 yards. The hope is that they run away and not at you. It’s illegal to hunt buffalo with a smaller caliber than .375 or 9.3.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All I will say is that there is no way on earth "Black Death" is walking away from a heart shot with a 300 Win Mag, period!

Been a lot of "Black Death" do the same thing out of a 308 FMJ, so what's your point? You go right ahead then, but let me ask you this, how many buffalo have you taken?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"I have never been to Africa"

It shows. Let me help you out. I've been to Africa, quite a number of times. I've hunted RSA, Zambia, Tanzania and Cameroon all multiple times. I've seen animals drop in their tracks from good shots and others seemed immune from good shots.

I find it hard to believe that lest say @ 100 yards broad side that a 300 Min Mag with Nosler 180 grains on a double lung shot would not take one down? There is no way a lion can survive a well-placed 300 Win Mag shot.

Well let's talk about this "survive" thing. I agree, that the shot described above will be fatal to a lion. What this doesn't address is whether or not the lion will be fatal to YOU before he expires?

Let's take the story of someone I've met, PH Peter Chipman. Peter was born and raised in Zambia. He knows the land and the game. Let's get his take on guns and lions:

SCI: What firearms do you carry on hunts and why?

PC: I started out with a .375. That put me in trouble because on July 4,1999 I was charged by a lion that actually did get to me. I shot the lion in the chest. It did not stop him and there was no time for a second shot. I needed a bigger caliber. I gave my .375 to my brother. I bought myself a .458. I worked hard to get the double and got the Woodleigh soft points. The lion incident occurred on a professional hunt video which can be viewed on YouTube.

Originally Posted by RobertRuark
"Use enough gun"

Originally Posted by Phillip Percival
"It's the dead ones that kill you"

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a great response, Jeff. There is another great video with Johann Calitz and another lion charge (he was wounded by some woman) where the lion runs a virtual gaunlet of heavy caliber fire and it's only stopped at the PH's feet after a brain shot from five yards or less.

Good luck with your 300.. (can I hold your wallet?)

Last edited by jorgeI; 10/04/22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jdollar
I’ve seen 2 buffs run away with a .375 heart shot. They both ran well over 100 yards. The hope is that they run away and not at you. It’s illegal to hunt buffalo with a smaller caliber than .375 or 9.3.

Originally Posted by jdollar
Originally Posted by hatari

"I have never been to Africa"

It shows. Let me help you out. I've been to Africa, quite a number of times. I've hunted RSA, Zambia, Tanzania and Cameroon all multiple times. I've seen animals drop in their tracks from good shots and others seemed immune from good shots.

I find it hard to believe that lest say @ 100 yards broad side that a 300 Min Mag with Nosler 180 grains on a double lung shot would not take one down? There is no way a lion can survive a well-placed 300 Win Mag shot.

Originally Posted by RobertRuark
"Use enough gun"

Originally Posted by Phillip Percival
"It's the dead ones that kill you"

My apologies gentlemen I should have been more precise in my comment, my bad!

What I meant by: "All I will say is that there is no way on earth "Black Death" is walking away from a heart shot with a 300 Win Mag, period!"

Is that the animal would NOT SURVIVE the shot. Can it run away or at you with the adrenalin factor? ABSOLUTELY!!! That is why most people that hunt them have PHs' backing them up, which is certainly a wise decision. Cape Buffalo are called "Black Death for a reason.

I heart shot one very large whitetail with a 30-06 and he took off an made it about 80 yards before he expired, to my complete amazement!

On another occasion I shot a 400 lbs. black bear twice with my shotgun using Federal Express High Shok 3" magnum slugs at 13 yards, he took off at 100 mph, again to my complete amazement! He made it about 60 yards, did he survive NO. When I opened him up, there was nothing left of his lungs, they were liquified, as was his liver from the second shot. And like I said even though there was nothing left of his lungs he bolted out of there with lightning speed.

Did they run away, absolutely! Did they survive ABSOLUTELY NOT.

That is what I meant by, "I find it hard to believe that lets say @ 100 yards broad side that a 300 Min Mag with Nosler 180 grains on a double lung shot would not take one down? There is no way a lion can survive a well-placed 300 Win Mag shot.

Here is a video of Tim Wells killing a Cape Buffalo with a SPEAR. at that distance with my 300 Win Mag, I would have taken a head shot. But to be honest I do not have the B---S or the death wish that Tim has, so that is not something I would ever do.

So, if you can kill a Cape Buffalo with a spear and a bow, nobody can convince me that you cannot kill them handily with a 300 Win Mag. I will bet the farm that many a Cape Buffalo have been killed with both 300 Win Mags, as well as the versatile .30-06 over the years and I know for a fact that many had been killed with bows as well.

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/04/22.

KB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My apologies gentlemen I should have been more precise in my comment, by bad!

What I meant by: "All I will say is that there is no way on earth "Black Death" is walking away from a heart shot with a 300 Win Mag, period!"

Is that the animal would NOT SURVIVE the shot.

You are correct! Any of the .300 Magnums with a premium bullet placed in/through the heart will mean curtains for Mbogo. Many have been dispatched by .303 Enfield and 7 x 57 in colonial days, but I don't recommend it! wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari
My apologies gentlemen I should have been more precise in my comment, by bad!

Is that the animal would NOT SURVIVE the shot.

You are correct! Any of the .300 Magnums with a premium bullet placed in/through the heart will mean curtains for Mbogo. Many have been dispatched by .303 Enfield and 7 x 57 in colonial days, but I don't recommend it! wink

One a side note Hatari one of my all-time favorite movies when I was a kid was Hatari! I have always been a big John Wayne fan and Red Buttons was excellent in the movie as well. Elsa Martinelli was great in the movie and a real hottie!

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/04/22.

KB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KB, It's a fun movie with outstanding scenery of old East Africa. Momella ranch was owned by Hardy Kruger for about 10± years. Elsa Martinelli was a hottie but it was alwasy Michelle Girodon that caught my eye (and those of the cast). She led a tragic life.

Going back to Peter Chipman getting mauled by the lion, he told me that words can't describe what goes through your head when a big male lion has you in his mouth! "Oh, Chitt!" doesn't begin to cover it. I hope I never know first hand. Best wishes.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.