Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Came across a MK-85 this morning stainless with a laminated stock. Has a Leopold fixed 4x scope on it. Having never seeing a laminated stock on one of these rifles I thought it was aftermarket. Done some research on it and I think it is a MK-85 stalker. Part of a collection of a gunsmith. Looks to be in good shape barrel looks good. # 11 cap. Asking $450.00 but that is just a starting rice. Thinking of offering $250-$300. Is that to much or in the ball park. Has a black/light gray stock What does the fire think is reasonable offer/value

GB1

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Good rifle and the scope has some value. My old BK-92 is dead reliable with the #11 cap ignition. Assuming excellent condition, $300-350 seems right to me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I agree with WRMs assessment. The laminated stocks aren't that uncommon. I have one still in the box that has "Predator SS" on the label. Maybe a difference in barrel length?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
I offered $300 he wanted $ 375 settled on $350. Doesn't appeared to have be shot, if so, very little. Will pick it up Tuesday.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
IMO you did well. I’m not looking for one now but I’d have bought it for that. Those are solid rifles with good barrels and good triggers. The scope is also in demand. Good snag.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Laminate TH stock MKs are quite uncommon and very desirable. If its a Predator with a TH stock its special order. Predators were SS with either a composite or laminate straight stock. Grand American was the only SS MK85 that came with a TH laminate stock as the standard offering. They all had Timney triggers. Early models had either Numrich, Lothar or Wise barrels. Everything after that were Green Mountain. IIRC the Lothar and Wise were 6 or 7 land. All GM barrels should be 8 land. The VERY early Numrich barrels were i think McMillian and a slow twist. The rest should be 1-28 in 54 and 50cal.

BTW, pay attention to the set screw on the left side if its a earlier MK. You need to loosen that screw before trying to unscrew the "bolt" assembly. Many owners did not and boogered them up.
[Linked Image from picturearchive.gunauction.com]

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thanks for the information. Plan on picking it up tomorrow. It is not a thumbhole stock but a straight stock, black and gray laminate stock. Will try to post picture of it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If the stock is pristine you might want to keep an eye out for a beater composite for hunting. Even a round receiver stock from LKs, Wolverines or Bighorns ect will fit. A DISC stock will fit also, it will just be notched for the bolt handle.

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Picked up the rifle today. Serial #315xx. It does have the black set screw on the left side of barrel. Would appreciate any info about what to do with the screw before breaking down the bolt assembly.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Are you talking about the set screw? I would say just back it out a bit or take it completely out It just tightens down against the striker assembly threads to keep the assembly from starting to loosen. If you don’t back it out it will damage the striker assembly threads as you unscrew the assembly because it will rake against them.

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Yes, I was referring to the set screw on the side of of the action.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a mk 85 composite thumbhole stock that appears unfired. I took it apart and it is very well made.

I gave 250 for the one I bought and felt it was a steal.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Overkill,
Who made the thumb hole composite (black) stocks on the early mk-85s?
Thanks!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Definitely a steel. I traded J-lock 700 in 308 win for my MK-85 in 54 cal. I don't regret the trade. My MK is very accurate and I like the trigger. The 54 cal roars when burning 120gr of FFg Black Powder. I don't do the substitutes. I found out Black powder can be very accurate so that what I'm burning. Wet patch, dry patch reload

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot my mk85 today. I found that it shot 777 fff from 70-80grs under a 495 no excuses. 503 shot better than I can.

Increasing to 95 opened the groups from 1.25" to 6".

I'm very impressed and now will look to adding a set of williams globes to this rig.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Gunshop not far from my house has an MK85 stainless and composite stock for 200 out the door. I cannot get it to cock so there is a trigger issue or something else going on .

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Gunshop not far from my house has an MK85 stainless and composite stock for 200 out the door. I cannot get it to cock so there is a trigger issue or something else going on .

The trigger has to be removed to clean the rifle. Good chance it was put back in cockeyed. That happened in my brother's Wolverine. Should be as simple as removing and reinstalling unless the trigger is gunked up by poor cleaning, which is unlikely.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

The trigger has to be removed to clean the rifle. Good chance it was put back in cockeyed. That happened in my brother's Wolverine. Should be as simple as removing and reinstalling unless the trigger is gunked up by poor cleaning, which is unlikely.

Thanks for the info, I had one of these a very long time ago . I would not imagine it would take much to fix it , probably no one bought it because they could not cock it .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1234, 19rabbit52, 56 invisible), 2,862 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,695
Posts18,456,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.