Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
The 10 Commandments for the most part are what you should follow not a church.

Following the 10 Commandments will never get you into a state of righteousness because we can as humans never fulfill that list to perfection.

We are all sinners, no matter how "good" we think we are. The whole point of that list was to illustrate the total depravity & helplessness of man and how we need a Savior to redeem us.

You can never "do good" yourself into heaven. This man made, works based salvation is a lie and a slap in the face of God who provided our righteousness at the cross.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by stxhunter
The 10 Commandments for the most part are what you should follow not a church.

Following the 10 Commandments will never get you into a state of righteousness because we can as humans never fulfill that list to perfection.

We are all sinners, no matter how "good" we think we are. The whole point of that list was to illustrate the total depravity & helplessness of man and how we need a Savior to redeem us.

You can never "do good" yourself into heaven. This man made, works based salvation is a lie and a slap in the face of God who provided our righteousness at the cross.
+1 SuperCub

Romans 5:1
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ephesians 2:8-9 maps man's path to Heaven.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only about 45% of couples who live together get married. Of the ones that do, they are about 50% more likely to divorce.

There's also a strong correlation between the number of partners people have had and divorce. The more partners, the more likely to divorce once married.

Politics is War by Other Means
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Something I've been seeing more and more of among both young and older adults every passing year is couples moving in together for economic reasons more so than just so they can sleep together as it can be good bit cheaper overall to pay rent, utilities, living expenses, etc., with both living under one roof versus the cost of maintaining two.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
me and the wife were both virgins when we married ,wife by choice till she was married ,me not so much . it just turned out that way

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you put together all the stuff about sex in the Bible, it can be condensed into 2 rules: 1-you must be married to your partner, and 2-your partner must be of the opposite sex.

The Bible has no rules about what marriage is other than a commitment to be together for life. There is nothing about a ceremony, a license, or registration by a state. In the earliest mention of a wedding in the Bible, it was some kind of family celebration followed by consummation. All the rest came later as a necessity to prove that you're married for the purposes of inheritance. Without secular laws on marriage, it can get pretty nasty when a guy dies and nobody knows who gets what. To the ancient Jews, lineage was very important. Keeping track of family lines wasn't scriptural but they believed that it must be recorded. Jesus went so far as to say that keeping long lists of family lines wasn't to be done.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
"We are most alive when we are in love." "The only thing we never get enough of is love; and the only thing we never give enough of is love."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We lived in sin* for 6 months before getting engaged.
46 years later, we are grandparents.

* her parents are missionaries, and did not approve of sin.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Only about 45% of couples who live together get married. Of the ones that do, they are about 50% more likely to divorce.

There's also a strong correlation between the number of partners people have had and divorce. The more partners, the more likely to divorce once married.
Interesting, as far as my experience goes.

The majority of folks I know that had one or only a couple of girlfriends/partners before marriage were the ones that ended up divorced by the time they were in their 30's or later once the "kids were grown".

In contrast, the majority of the folks I know that had multiple relationships, without getting hitched, that found a mate after they were mature enough to understand what the deal was really about are still married. Like myself and my wife. Study friends in University, then about 3 years living together, and now going on 23 years married. Both of us had "multiple partners" and I think she was even engaged once.

Sex is a biological need. Just like eating. I can do that alone but every once in a while it's nice to have dinner with someone else................even out of "wedlock"

Then again, what do I know.............I even listen to and enjoy that dang Rock and Roll music.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
You guys who make a point of not having lived in sin.

Where you (both) virgins at marriage?

You know, where you sleep isn't a sin,
it's what you do awake that is.
No matter what your addresses.

No, we didn't live together.
No, we weren't angels.

Bet this thread dies fast!
I don't know anyone who has made the point of not having lived in sin.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I doubt that any of us waited until marriage. The concept of virginity until marriage or at minimum some level of self control isn’t a bad one.

We all want sex. Most of us have a lot of it before marriage because we want it. There’s more pitfalls to sleeping around before a committed relationship, STD’s, used and jaded woman, unplanned pregnancy’s and broken homes than there are any advantages.

Most of us do it. It isn’t the high water mark for a society or culture and religious or societal norms that minimize it are nearly always good for a society Vs. One that encourages it.

Exactly.

I want better for my kids than I had.

Marriage isn’t merely a religious rite (tho it can be that) it is the foundational relationship that holds together the building block of healthy societies, namely the family.

Just because I made the mistake of doing things I ought not have done doesn’t mean I shrug it off and say “oh well son I had my fun you go have yours”. In fact it’s means I’m all the more passionate in training my children to be self controlled, modest, and to live in this world in such a way as to make it better for posterity.

The sexual revolution & feminism (really they’re the same thing) have eroded our society by allowing men to think with their dicks and women to expect that that’s all they’ll do. It’s ultimately just pure self centeredness.

If I could pick one choice in life to go back and do over it’d be to take the road less traveled. Maybe I’d make it maybe not. My eldest did and I’m sure their marriage will be better for it.

Can’t for the life of me imagine what harm can come from suggesting we delay gratification for the good of a future spouse.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Lucas1
You guys who make a point of not having lived in sin.

Where you (both) virgins at marriage?

You know, where you sleep isn't a sin,
it's what you do awake that is.
No matter what your addresses.

No, we didn't live together.
No, we weren't angels.

Bet this thread dies fast!
I don't know anyone who has made the point of not having lived in sin.

The wife and I rented a small house before we married. We did all the things pre-married 20 year olds do. Well, she was 19. Cook, clean, have parties, some were epic, yard work, (other wink ) you get the idea. Her mom would not pay for the wedding if she stayed there. 10-11 o'clock every night it was "see ya tomorrow, luv ya" and off to her folks house 15 mins. away to sleep. Repeat for 3 months.
Celebrated our 43rd anniversary last month.

Last edited by prplbkrr; 10/03/22.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
About like i expected.

Where are the guys this was targeted at?
Who is it targeted at?

"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them," Deut 31:6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In today's world, marriage is a temporary, open ended legal arrangement that can be terminated by either party at any time, for any or no reason.

There's still good legal reasons to be married, involving kids, custody, legal rights to speak into medical care in critical conditions, credit and contract law, inheritances, etc, etc, etc.

Morally, well, morality is up to you. Being married doesn't make you moral.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The Bible condemns incest, bestiality, adultery and fornication (sex outside of marriage). The Bible has no concept of a civil union. Marriage is a lifelong commitment between a man and a women made before God.

I hope there is a common agreement among you people on the fist three as immoral.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Dutch
In today's world, marriage is a temporary, open ended legal arrangement that can be terminated by either party at any time, for any or no reason.

There's still good legal reasons to be married, involving kids, custody, legal rights to speak into medical care in critical conditions, credit and contract law, inheritances, etc, etc, etc.

Morally, well, morality is up to you. Being married doesn't make you moral.
The reduction of marriage into a legal construct is one of the causes destroying the family unit. The destruction of the family unit is destroying society and America.

True marriage is a selfless life long commitment between a man and women.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Promiscuity is not healthy no matter your spiritual beliefs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I plowed a lot of fields in the past. Sure didn't feel sinful at the time. No regrets now.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MegaMehg
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Originally Posted by Geno67
. . . Love who you want to love however you want to love them.

No.

Love who you want to love, sure. But if you do, love them well and true.
Well and true is not something that's so popular these days.

Did not live together before married.

Had slept together though !

Met a HS aged 12, started dating at 16, married at 22.

known each other 44 years, been together 40 years & married for 34 years.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Deb is my best friend, & along with our Kids (& puppers) is my world.

She looks at me like this, every time I cook our anniversary supper;

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
126 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,806 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.