Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Just returned from my fourth moose hunt in Alaska. Have taken four good bulls. Thinking it might be time to shift focus to elk. I have only killed one small 5x5 on my own in New Mexico ,13 years ago.

If you wanted to go guided and had say $12,000.00 to spend, what area and guide would you choose. I have no points so landowner tag or voucher or OTC is a must.

I spoke to Mr. Hill from Hill Ranches in Colorado. Any other ideas? I don't want to sound like a horn shopper, but I want to experience one great elk hunt and kill a 300 plus bull.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
300 plus bulls are doable. Quite a few come off of public land. $12,000 is not enough for places like the Vermijo Ranch, or Chama Land and Cattle in NM. $12,000 IMO is like having 10 pref points in CO. Not enough for a great bull, but more than enough for lesser ones.

I would look at the Ranching for Wildlife properties in CO. RFW is for residents only, but those ranches also sell private hunts and can hunt from Sept thru December They are listed in the Colorado Big Game brochure.

I think that $12,000 will get you on a private ranch that has a resident herd and only kills maybe 10 bulls a year. I bet there are members here that know of them.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deseret Ranch, that's where all the hunting celebs go.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by saddlesore
300 plus bulls are doable. Quite a few come off of public land. $12,000 is not enough for places like the Vermijo Ranch, or Chama Land and Cattle in NM. $12,000 IMO is like having 10 pref points in CO. Not enough for a great bull, but more than enough for lesser ones.

I would look at the Ranching for Wildlife properties in CO. RFW is for residents only, but those ranches also sell private hunts and can hunt from Sept thru December They are listed in the Colorado Big Game brochure.

I think that $12,000 will get you on a private ranch that has a resident herd and only kills maybe 10 bulls a year. I bet there are members here that know of them.
12K won’t get you on those ranches either.

Express UU Bar in Cimarron, NM can help you out for 2K-3K more.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
https://www.utahelkhunt.com/idaho/

Saw a bull here whose rack hung over his azz, another huge one with palmations like a moose.

It will cost you, but they are there.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No you didn’t.

Originally Posted by UpThePole
Saw a bull here whose rack hung over his azz.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SLM
No you didn’t.

Anytime someone says that you instantly know they are full of [bleep].

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by SLM
No you didn’t.

Anytime someone says that you instantly know they are full of [bleep].

So True.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Their description of “spike camp” sounds more luxurious than a lot of base camps.

For hunters who have never experienced a western tent camp, we offer our Spike Camp. Tucked high in Idaho’s Blackfoot Mountains, our rustic spike camp offers Western White-Wall tents with wooden floors, cots and heaters. With a warm shower, amazing Dutch Oven meals and a roaring fire at night, the Spike Camp offers an unique western experience.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Saw a bull here whose rack hung over his azz,

You're a liar. The world record elk had main beams of 56 2/8 and the number 2 elk had beams of 59 inches. Neither of which would extend past an elk's hindquarters.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by MAC

You're a liar. The world record elk had main beams of 56 2/8 and the number 2 elk had beams of 59 inches. Neither of which would extend past an elk's hindquarters.

He said the antlers "hung over it's azz," which to many (if not most) hunters would mean "above his azz", not "beyond his azz." There's a big difference.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but it is Pole Up His A$$......We know what he meant

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Oh for Christ Sakes that's Rulon Jones's high fence operation.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Semantics aside, most I know would take it as discussed. Even “over” the ass is a stretch.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by MAC

He said the antlers "hung over it's azz," which to many (if not most) hunters would mean "above his azz", not "beyond his azz." There's a big difference.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Lol.....at least 18" difference.....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC

BS. He meant extending past the hindquarters and you know as well as I do that no elk has had antlers that long. Not one of the top 10 bulls in the books has an antler longer than 61 inches. You really expect me to believe he saw an elk in the field bigger than the bull Winters took in AZ or Plute took in CO?

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLM
No you didn’t.

Haha 😂😂, if I had a $ for every time I’ve heard that SLM

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The big bulls all left Arizona...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MikeS
The big bulls all left Arizona...

Not all, grin.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.