Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
A friend had a very bad accident at his shooting range this past weekend. First off, he is a very careful man in all of his shooting pursuits, seriously, but sometimes it's the little things that are our (his) undoing.

While shooting a new-to-him .54 Hawken percussion gun, a can of blackpowder exploded at less than arms length. A spark from the gun ignited the powder. It was standing open on the bench because he was charging his powder measure directly from the can for each shot, his protocol being to close the can after each charging. He dropped the can lid on the ground, but went ahead and fired the freshly prepped charge before bending down to retrieve it, leaving the container stand open. "I'll pick it up after this shot."

How can a percussion gun dispense such sparkage so as to cause the explosion?

Evidently, upon thorough investigation after the fact the gun was found to have its hammer at full cock. Hmmm, that shouldn't be, it should've been down in the fired position resting on the spent cap. Upon removing the nipple for cleaning the why-for became obvious - its vent hole had been reamed out to a very large diameter by a previous owner. The resultant magnified venting allowed an excessive amount of back-blast to channel back out into the atmosphere, throwing lots of hot flotsam and jetsam out and causing the hammer to fly back into full cock. One tiny bit of something, or a spark, made a perfect dive into the powder can. Boom.

It blew his shooting box 20 feet away, and scattered everything else to hell-and-gone. He himself is a very very very lucky man - he sustained 1st&2nd degree, and some 3rd degree, burns over his head and upper body. All hair - poof, gone. Clothes on fire. Scary (but good) part was his shooting glasses looked like they were raked through the coals of a campfire and then shot with a shotgun - but his eyes were A-ok. Luckily there was somebody with him who got him squared away and a trip to the ER got him fixed up (kind of). He's home and on the mend, but really rattled as you might imagine. (The gun is perfectly ok.)

Moral of the story: don't drill out the hole in a percussion rifle nipple, even if you think it might aid ignition for some reason; and don't ever leave containers of gunpowder stand open on the shooting bench. If you're having ignition issues, resolve them by other means.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Glad he survived. Good warning. Thanks for sharing.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Wow!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a fella that looked at the photo of my flinter here on the 'Fire that told me I needed to drill out the flashole to get better ignition. Never had a misfire with it, no need to fix what ain't broke.

And I have NEVER had a can of Lord Black or a canister on the bench when I shoot. Nope, it's hiding in the bag which hides behind my butt.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, me too. More often than not the Mother Can of powder stays at home and I load/shoot from a horn, the stopper for which I have never tethered to the horn itself. If it's not tethered it has to go someplace when done pouring and that place is back into the horn, impossible to simply let it dangle on a string leaving the powder in the horn exposed to mischief. I guess I could just shove the stopper into my pocket instead.....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Had a similar event that taught me to replace the nipple every other year whether it needed it or not. I had been shooting the same nipple for a few years and noticed that after the shot, the hammer would be at half cock. I had not changed anything, not powder, cap, anything. I was getting ready for an elk hunt and wanted to shoot a conical so down the barrel it goes. Cock the hammer, BOOM! Hammer comes flying back, left a dent in the stock and the nipple with the oversized hole blew out, hitting me in the cheek. Too big of a hole in the nipple gets a lot of blow back through it. Enough in this case to strip the threads and sent a projectile to your face. I was lucky there wasn’t any injury, just to my pride. I bought a gross of nipples and since changing them out when they get slightly enlarged, haven’t had an incident.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My charges go to the range in screw top plastic tubes. Bringing a can to the range invites spillage, loose powder on the bench waiting to be lit and other unpleasantness...

Last edited by Muddly; 10/04/22.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
A friend had a very bad accident at his shooting range this past weekend. First off, he is a very careful man in all of his shooting pursuits, seriously, but sometimes it's the little things that are our (his) undoing.

While shooting a new-to-him .54 Hawken percussion gun, a can of blackpowder exploded at less than arms length. A spark from the gun ignited the powder. It was standing open on the bench because he was charging his powder measure directly from the can for each shot, his protocol being to close the can after each charging. He dropped the can lid on the ground, but went ahead and fired the freshly prepped charge before bending down to retrieve it, leaving the container stand open. "I'll pick it up after this shot."

How can a percussion gun dispense such sparkage so as to cause the explosion?

Evidently, upon thorough investigation after the fact the gun was found to have its hammer at full cock. Hmmm, that shouldn't be, it should've been down in the fired position resting on the spent cap. Upon removing the nipple for cleaning the why-for became obvious - its vent hole had been reamed out to a very large diameter by a previous owner. The resultant magnified venting allowed an excessive amount of back-blast to channel back out into the atmosphere, throwing lots of hot flotsam and jetsam out and causing the hammer to fly back into full cock. One tiny bit of something, or a spark, made a perfect dive into the powder can. Boom.

It blew his shooting box 20 feet away, and scattered everything else to hell-and-gone. He himself is a very very very lucky man - he sustained 1st&2nd degree, and some 3rd degree, burns over his head and upper body. All hair - poof, gone. Clothes on fire. Scary (but good) part was his shooting glasses looked like they were raked through the coals of a campfire and then shot with a shotgun - but his eyes were A-ok. Luckily there was somebody with him who got him squared away and a trip to the ER got him fixed up (kind of). He's home and on the mend, but really rattled as you might imagine. (The gun is perfectly ok.)

Moral of the story: don't drill out the hole in a percussion rifle nipple, even if you think it might aid ignition for some reason; and don't ever leave containers of gunpowder stand open on the shooting bench. If you're having ignition issues, resolve them by other means.

Thanks for the warning. Very good to know that when dealing with black powder percussion rifles and also pistols. I hope your friend heals up well!!! Sounds like a lot of things that went wrong to cause this catastrophe.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Had a fella that looked at the photo of my flinter here on the 'Fire that told me I needed to drill out the flashole to get better ignition. Never had a misfire with it, no need to fix what ain't broke.

And I have NEVER had a can of Lord Black or a canister on the bench when I shoot. Nope, it's hiding in the bag which hides behind my butt.

I always had a powder flask and in a leather bag with the balls and everything else needed. Still have that leather bag that I made when I was a teenager.. Still works too.. Today one of my buddies was asking me about a 54 cal hawken rifle he saw at a gunshow last Saturday. He's never even fired a black powder rifle or pistol.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Scary stuff! Thanks for posting. I do my charging/loading on a shelf 10-12 ft behind the bench.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Very good lesson to live by. Glad you friend survived OK

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Was at Mountain man Competition once were a Shooter had his Powder horn Blow up on his side.
He said he forgot to put the plug back in it.

The Horn was hanging over his shooting bag and that is what saved him.
He got some burns but nothing real bad.

His horn went off like a grenade and there were pieces all over the place

The bag was destroyed and not much left of it and took most of the abuse.

that shooter was very lucky.

Bad things can happen very fast

Hope your Bud Heals up quick and will be OK.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had to modify the touchhole of my Mortimer flintlock to make it reliable. As per Ross Seyfried, I coned the back side of the liner and drilled the hole to .0625. Went from maybe, whoosh, boom, to fast and dead-reliable. The flame that came out of the touchhole, was something to see, and I was alway careful to stay on the right side of the benches to avoid maiming any civilians. No question that with that gun, an open powder can would be a really bad idea. Some things you simply can’t shortcut or be lazy about.

Sorry about your pal.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gnoahhh;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that this Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day finds you well.

Thanks for the cautionary tale for sure, it's instructive on a lot of levels.

Back in the day I walked into one of the bigger gun shops in Calgary wanting to purchase a side by side hammer shotgun. The older chap behind the counter informed me they didn't have any - weren't common back in the late '70's early '80's as they seem to be now. Since I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I pointed to this rifle which was hanging on the wall and said, "I'll take the one with the fancy wood then please"...

[Linked Image]

When he asked if I knew what it was, I replied "Not exactly" but since I'd owned a .36 Navy revolver previously was not entirely unfamiliar with black powder.

Nonetheless, he went through the loading and maintenance very carefully with me which was great. I can still hear him say, "Never, ever, never load straight from the horn son. A random spark in the barrel can cause it to blow up and they'll only find your boots!" That got my attention.

The rifle is a Navy Arms Hawken Hurricane and originally had a nipple with musket caps that had a huge interior diameter. It'd recock the hammer with anything above about 80gr of powder which was both disconcerting and dangerous.

When we moved here to BC in the early '80's, I had a local fellow who was familiar with black powder arms put in a Uncle Mike's Hotshot nipple, which required a Helicoil of sorts to be Loctited in, but that solved the "auto recocking" issue.

We can sort of see on the photo too that I made up a shield of sorts on the hammer out of a 7mm Rem Mag case and that kept any percussion cap splatter from coming back at the shooter.

Anyways for sure for those who might be new to black powder shooting, always load with a brass measure or once you know the load, drill out an antler to the right depth so it looks "old timey".

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Yikes, hope your friend makes a complete recovery. I had one chamber blow up on an 1851 Navy repro and that was no fun... I can't even imagine an entire pound going off at that distance. 😬

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I had a patch twist on me one time and covered the touch hole.
It got kinda sketchy on firing line when the 10 ga. Blunderbuss would not shoot.
I tried everything I knew how to do and then a guy came up to me with some FFFFFFF powder
Yep 7F powder never heard anything above 4F.
we cleared the firing line and he pored out a bit of that powder in my measure and then stepped way way back.
He said that you can look at that 7F and it can ignite .

He then instructed me to pack it as tight as I could in the touch hole.

I then put a bit more in the pan (it is a Rock Gun)

Everyone stepped back as I aimed it down range and pulled the trigger and a

WOOOOOOOOOSSSHHHHHHHH BOOM and the gun was clear

He had me basically fuse the touch hole and that hot 7F powder burned threw the wet patch to ignite the 80 gr. of 2F I had loaded up with.

No one was hurt but it did get tense dot being able to clears a Muzzle Loaded Firearm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Keep your powder containers capped and covered!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
another bad habit is loading or priming the pan over the shooting bench top. wayward grains can and will accumulate.
embarrassed to admit but i have had my shooting bench top and rest go whoosh around me. while it is a sign of good powder it is also a sign of advanced senility. crazy

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the reminder, gnoahh.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Another note of warning. Those with flintlocks, make sure your lock plates are TIGHT against the wood of your stock and that you clean behind them often.

You DO NOT want flash powder working its way between lock and stock...I've never had it happen, but have known more than a couple locks blown off the side when buildup touches off.

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

"...Somewhere, there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunting snowy day, we all quit when most fljnter were failing.
(Using a sling on a wet day is poison, none on my gun)

At the garage guys were trying to unload, Disco's gun wouldn't fire.
Multiple pans of powder, powder pushed into the flash hole..
He pulled the barrel, removed the liner, reassembled sans liner,
And primed it.

I got back, but wanted to watch.
It went off!
Not sure but I think there was more fire and smoke out the side than front.
Didn't hurt the stock or lock.

Not sure I would want to try it personally.
I'm not lucky that way.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.