Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OGB
I live "downstairs" and won't pretend to know the answer to this one.

I think many living down here forget just how vast Alaska is. Which means highly varied conditions and topography. Not to mention greater variance in game size and temperament.

I would guess that like here, many (most?) hunters stay fairly local, hunt what is there and arm themselves appropriately.

Is that fair or even accurate?

Pretty darn accurate assessment! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS
From my current rifles, it would be my Model 70 Classic stainless cerakoted in a Mcmillan Edge stock chambered in 338-06.
Top one in the photo.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Love the looks of the 338-06.

Nice Rifles! Is the Weatherby also a 338-06?

These would be my go-to rifles for Alaska:

My go-to if I only had 1 would be this BSA Sporterized P17, that was sporterized between 1949 and 1953 by BSA and was further sporterized by my father Keith E. Smith with hand carved Ferlach Austrian style stock. The BSA love Winchester Super X in 180 gr. so shells are readily available. Super accurate and everything I have shot with it has basically dropped in its tracks.

The second if I could have 2 choices would be this Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight .300 Win Mag. I replaced the barrel with a Wilson Match Grade, then glass bedded the barrel so it is free floating and now shoots sub-MOA <.25 @ 100 yards. I would use it if I knew that I would be taking longer range shots.

If I only had 1 caliber, I would go with my 30-06.

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/02/22.

KB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think AK is one of the few places where you can realistically say that the 30-06 is truly versatile.
In the lower 48 it is overkill, but there are lots of big critters in AK

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
30-06 is hardly overkill in the lower 48, especially here in the Rockies where you can kill a big elk or moose, then have its ownership contested by a griz.

Nor is it overkill where the shots can be extended due to environmental factors that tend to occur in the late season, such as when the elk move down into the open sagebrush hills.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Spring1898
I think AK is one of the few places where you can realistically say that the 30-06 is truly versatile.
In the lower 48 it is overkill, but there are lots of big critters in AK

Any shoulder fired firearm, that is easily carried on a hunt……is hardly overkill. There is no such thing as “overkill”…….except in Disney movies! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/02/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
30-06 that's all I'm saying.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
30-06 is neat until you see a 70" class bull from the top of a hill out at 800-900 yards with absolutely no other shot or way to get closer because of terrain & brush with 2 hrs of light left on the last day of your hunt .....

I sold my '06 and vowed to never, ever be hampered and screwed by some fabled cartridge that didn't have the balls to deliver when it was needed most

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Swamplord
30-06 is neat until you see a 70" class bull from the top of a hill out at 800-900 yards with absolutely no other shot or way to get closer because of terrain & brush with 2 hrs of light left on the last day of your hunt .....

I sold my '06 and vowed to never, ever be hampered and screwed by some fabled cartridge that didn't have the balls to deliver when it was needed most

What cartridge did you select to take a 70" bull, 800 yards away, 2 hours before sunset?

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by buttstock

So what cartridge did you select to take a 70" bull, 800 yards away, 2 hours before sunset?

300 Remington Ultra Magnum ....

and later the 338 EDGE .....

moose stoned dead on their feet out past 1200 yards & working on 1 mile with newer faster more powerful wildcats ....
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

B
B
Kinda depends on several factors, main one being ammo availability. If I am rolling my own it’d be my 358 Norma Magnum. 158 grain 357 bullets to shoot small game, and 250gr Hornady RN for the bigger stuff. If ammo is a concern, then 338 WM or 3006. You can pretty much pick up ammo for those any place.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if ammo is not a problem give me my 338 Lapua but otherwise still tough to ever beat a 30-06 for just one cartridge rifle.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No reason to shoot 800 yards on a moose.
Get closer, do some actual hunting

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

What cartridge did you select to take a 70" bull, 800 yards away, 2 hours before sunset?
22LR, you can do anything when yer dreaming

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So what cartridge did you select to take a 70" bull, 800 yards away, 2 hours before sunset?

300 Remington Ultra Magnum ....

and later the 338 EDGE .....

moose stoned dead on their feet out past 1200 yards & working on 1 mile with newer faster more powerful wildcats ....
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Next you are going to tell us you were scuba diver in Okinawa.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by pete53
if ammo is not a problem give me my 338 Lapua but otherwise still tough to ever beat a 30-06 for just one cartridge rifle.

Yeah the 30-06.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
30-06 is hardly overkill in the lower 48, especially here in the Rockies where you can kill a big elk or moose, then have its ownership contested by a griz.

Nor is it overkill where the shots can be extended due to environmental factors that tend to occur in the late season, such as when the elk move down into the open sagebrush hills.

^^^^^^ What he said^^^^^

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by johnn

Some of you Fudds need to learn how to shoot

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Fudds are guys that think the 2nd amendment is about hunting rights and no one should own a AR15.. in short Mary Peltola voters..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started my mediocre Alaska hunting career in 1966. All I have ever used in Alaska is a 30-06 and a .338 Win. Mag. and both cartridges work great, especially with a Barnes TTSX bullet put in the right place at the right impact velocity.

If only one it would be my lightly customized pre-64 Mod. 70 Win. "Featherweight" 30-06 made in 1958. Those wonderful 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullets can do it all, if I put them in the right place.

For about six years I ran a informal survey on the Alaska Outdoors Forum. I asked the responding rifle hunters how far away from the big game animal they were when they fired their all important first shot.

The average shot distance given was about 160 yards.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 79S

Fudds are guys that think the 2nd amendment is about hunting rights and no one should own a AR15.. in short Mary Peltola voters..

how stupid does one have to be to vote for a skeemo, thinking that some indiginass Democrat libtard kcunt is right for Alaska ? just because it's a native ? SMH

about as stupid as the ones who voted for that homo kneegoer for president, just because he was black... twice FFS !

Some white mfkrs have lost their minds and turned traitor to their own kind

aside from that...

guys that can't shoot for sh it will always need a target the size of a bus within 100 yards, so when they shrink back in terror of recoil as they yank on the trigger, they still have hopes of blowing a knee off the moose and slowing it down so they can try shooting at it again .... Alaska is full of these Fudds, just hang out at the gun counter and listen to the stupid that comes through, lmao !

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.