Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The stupidity on this site never ceases to amaze me.... A 300 Blkout for Elk WOW

BP-B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Post-hunt results attached as promised

Attached Images
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TracksWapiti

Congrats on your success.

Can you fill in some of the other info. Things like shot distance, point of impact, penetration, damage, time/distance to drop?

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Can you fill in some of the other info. Things like shot distance, point of impact, penetration, damage, time/distance to drop?

Thanks!

Heart shot him broadside at 100 yards with one shot. He went maybe 70 yards and piled up. Recovered bullet from hide on the other side (pics attached). Bullet laced between ribs

Attached Images
Last edited by TracksWapiti; 11/05/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good deal, congrat's. As I said, I figured it would work fine - I just think there's far wiser choices out there.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Thanks!

Heart shot him broadside at 100 yards with one shot. He went maybe 70 yards and piled up. Recovered bullet from hide on the other side (pics attached). Bullet laced between ribs

Nice!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Congratulations Tracker.

Glad it worked out.

Nice looking animal. 👍

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations.

Marlin in 45/70 or 444 would have came to my mind first!

Funny…. but if u bore a big hole in the barrel………

And cut them shorter….

They get lighter

But I am Anus 1895!

Once again…well done!

Last edited by Angus1895; 11/05/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good shot on the bull.

Semper Fi
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks, fellas!

This was my first bull, and it made an impression on me after spending 5 hours and as many disposable skinning blades quartering and hanging the meat. Much bigger task and animal than my previous cows.

The fact that the bullet didn’t exit with a broadside shot between ribs was underwhelming to say the least. After seeing the size of his shoulder bones, I doubt I would’ve recovered him with a quartering toward shot.

As soon as I got off the mountain, I went to the same Walmart I bought my tag at and purchased the same rifle in 450 Bushmaster. I look forward to carrying it with Buffalo Bore 275gr Barnes on board going forward.

I’ll hang onto the 300 BLK for my son to learn with on deer and cow elk.

Attached Images
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Congrats on a good Elk. Glad everything worked out for you with a nice broadside shot. Smart decision to leave the 300 BLK at home on the next Bull Elk hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, fellas!

This was my first bull, and it made an impression on me after spending 5 hours and as many disposable skinning blades quartering and hanging the meat. Much bigger task and animal than my previous cows.

The fact that the bullet didn’t exit with a broadside shot between ribs was underwhelming to say the least. After seeing the size of his shoulder bones, I doubt I would’ve recovered him with a quartering toward shot.

As soon as I got off the mountain, I went to the same Walmart I bought my tag at and purchased the same rifle in 450 Bushmaster. I look forward to carrying it with Buffalo Bore 275gr Barnes on board going forward.

Tracks, I want to compliment you on how you've handled yourself on this thread given some fairly stout criticism from a few here. You remained respectful. I also want to thank you for your honest reporting after the hunt. Again, congrats and best of luck on future hunts.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Huh, elk aren't bulletproof? Say it ain't so!

Congrats!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Brad
Thanks, fellas!

Tracks, I want to compliment you on how you've handled yourself on this thread given some fairly stout criticism from a few here. You remained respectful. I also want to thank you for your honest reporting after the hunt. Again, congrats and best of luck on future hunts.

Thanks, Brad, for the kind words. Appreciate everyone’s experience and perspective on this thread. Glad to be of service with providing some real-world data for consideration re the 300 BLK on elk.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Can I get some help from you all with aging this bull? (Pics attached).

I scored him last night at 241 inches gross (6x6). One of his hindquarters weighed in at 55 lbs.

He was bedded down by himself when we caught up to him tracking, which made me wonder is he’s a herd bull, but he doesn’t seem big-bodied enough.

Attached Images
Last edited by TracksWapiti; 11/07/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tracks, hard to say given the picture quality.

Also, the best way to age an elk is with the lower jaw/teeth.

Will say, the rack doesn't look like it has much mass or length (again, pictures aren't very good), and the ivories are pretty rounded and large. An older elk will have ivories that are pretty flat, and when really old, worn down to the gum line. My guess is your bull is no more than 4.5 yo at the oldest, and possibly a 3.5 yo.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Brad
Thanks, fellas!

I echo Brad's compliments here. I would have told the whole group to fuuck off or eat crow after posting pics.

I didn't think your choice was a bad one for close-range shots, but I saw an increased likelihood for a rodeo. It didn't happen. Good job on getting a good bull with your chosen tool. It really is the Indian, far more than the arrow, regardless of the opinions of grumpy old men.

Now, handload that Bushmaster to REAL pressures, and show off your next bull!

I should add that among the animals I've hunted, that is likely a 3.5 yo bull.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 11/07/22. Reason: Addition

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks, fellas, for your help aging this bull. Here’s a better look at him attached

Attached Images
IMG-2735.5.jpg (29.63 KB, 195 downloads)
IMG-2736.5.jpg (32.81 KB, 195 downloads)
IMG-2737.5.jpg (35.61 KB, 195 downloads)
IMG-2738.5.jpg (30.82 KB, 194 downloads)
IMG-2747.5.jpg (18.98 KB, 194 downloads)
Last edited by TracksWapiti; 11/11/22.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Good job. Euro mount turned out nice.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I love the Euro mount look. And I can do it myself.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.