Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Decided to do a little "in the field" bullet testing with the 150 Interlock out of my 270 win over the past 4 days. Handloads are a blistering 2800 fps out of my Tikka superlite grin. I was using a 3-10 SHV with the MOAR reticle.

First test: Cow elk at 250 yards. Slightly quartering away, hit her on the last rib angled forward. Caught the front of a very full paunch, liver, and lung. She ran about 50 yards, stood for a minute and fell over. Found the bullet in the rib cage against the offside still in the chest cavity. Bullet weighed 101.8 grains or 68% weight retention.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Second test was on a bedded buck at 238 yards. Broke both shoulders and found the bullet under the hide on the offside. The deer never got out of his bed. Bullet weighed 84.6 grains or 56% weight retention.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Over the past 25 years or so I have shot primarily accubonds and partitions for almost all my big game hunting. But with the current component shortage, Hornady seems to be the one manufacturer that is able to keep some bullets on the shelf. I would have no issue using the standard Interlock under 2900-3000 fps. I'm a fan.

Andy

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They shot great for me but seem like too much bullet for smaller Texas deer so I went to something faster opening. No questioning their elk performance it seems.

Last edited by kenjs1; 10/05/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is good to hear. My Tikka .270 loves this bullet as well. It also shoots the 150 Partition to the same POI with the same load but the Partitions aren't as accurate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thanks for sharing your results and congrats on your critters! Nice freezer queen and buck! I've never used the .277 150's but have plenty of other interlocks and I've always had very similar recovery stories as yours. I will not hesitate to use them.

Todd

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Oddly in my rifle the 150 accubond has the same POI at 200 yards as the 150 interlock.... there is about 40 fps difference between the loads. The 150 interlock are slightly more accurate. Unfortunately, I haven't found the 150 accubonds for purchase in over two years.

Andy

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
well done, also have a Tikka T3 lite .270 and have been thinking about the 150 gr ,never tried them

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it ain't broke----don't fix it. I would use that load the rest of my born days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fantastic bullet testing and steaks to boot Andy 💪
My 270 Montana loves 150 IL’s and Partitions. A fella could hunt the world and never be hungry.

Thanks for sharing!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the report and congrats on the nice critters! All should be great on the table.

Like you said the shortage has me looking at Hornady real hard.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've pretty much used a 130 Sierra Gameking or a 130 Partition for everything. Hornady 145 ELDX seems to be showing up on shelf's around here, has anyone used these on game?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aheider
But with the current component shortage, Hornady seems to be the one manufacturer that is able to keep some bullets on the shelf. I would have no issue using the standard Interlock under 2900-3000 fps. I'm a fan.

I've heard that same comment a few times lately. Good on Hornady for keeping shooters supplied.

A few yrs ago I was miffed at Hornady for dropping some bullet lines that I used and started using other brands instead. Good luck trying to buy a NBT in Canada these days or any other Nosler for that matter. I had to re-think that decision and stocked up on Hornady again.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for sharing. I always use 150 partitions for mine, but had tested a few loads with old Hornady 150gr spire point (pre-interlock) that literally put three bullets in the same hole. Have been tempted ever since to pick up some 150 interlocks with they hope they would shoot the same and provide a good practice/economical hunting load.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]308 w/150 sp works great, about 40 yds or so.

Last edited by Dusty246; 10/06/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Andy - appears that new SuperLite is getting a workout this year. Nice buck, I'll be in similar country this weekend, decided to try hunting the last 5 days of our season hoping to avoid the crowds wink

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SuperCub
But with the current component shortage, Hornady seems to be the one manufacturer that is able to keep some bullets on the shelf. I would have no issue using the standard Interlock under 2900-3000 fps. I'm a fan.

I've heard that same comment a few times lately. Good on Hornady for keeping shooters supplied.

A few yrs ago I was miffed at Hornady for dropping some bullet lines that I used and started using other brands instead. Good luck trying to buy a NBT in Canada these days or any other Nosler for that matter. I had to re-think that decision and stocked up on Hornady again.
More and more you hear that same sentiment coming from folks about what they choose to use. Availability is a big deal as well as not gouging folks. I'm also at the same juncture where I doubt if I'll purchase nosler again after I use up the ones I've got left which is probably a lifetime

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
yes sir I have more red boxes on my shelf than ever before because i could get them and the price they were offered at....
the 25-30 dollar ballistic tip prices at SPS has pretty much done it for me..

A
aheider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Congrats Andy - appears that new SuperLite is getting a workout this year. Nice buck, I'll be in similar country this weekend, decided to try hunting the last 5 days of our season hoping to avoid the crowds wink

Good luck Frank! Hopefully it cools off a little. Mid 80’s kept the deer movement down. For whatever reason the buck I killed decided to bed on an open hillside in the sun… maybe he was lost. 😂

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
aheider,

The 150 Spire Point has long been one of my favorites in the .270. First stated using them in the mid-1970s, long before Hornady added the Interlock ring, partly because they were extremely accurate in my Remington 700 ADL. Using the original mil-surp H4831, muzzle velocity was around 2850--though I didn't know that until a few years later, after purchasing my first chronograph. That load would group 3 shots in an inch--at 300 yards.

A good example of the penetration was a big Montana mule deer buck, which weighed 232 pounds field-dressed AFTER a week of hanging. This was in the steep, thick timber country next to the Idaho Panhandle, and the buck was uphill at about 25 yards. At the shot it collapsed, because after entering the chest the bullet broke the spine at at the rear of the ribcage--and exited.

The Interlock version penetrates even better, as you have proven--which is why I always keep a sufficient supply on hand....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

More and more you hear that same sentiment coming from folks about what they choose to use. Availability is a big deal as well as not gouging folks. I'm also at the same juncture where I doubt if I'll purchase nosler again after I use up the ones I've got left which is probably a lifetime

A lot of guys think the partition or other controlled expansion bullet is needed. As the op in this thread shows, the good ol Hornady interlock works just fine. I've been using them for years. I shoot a lot though and like using what I practice with. The interlock allows you to do this. There is a reason people call these bullets "the poor man's partition". Think about it.. With Nosler raising their prices like they have and screwing its customers over, I have gone far away from them. I still have a bunch, but don't plan on buying anymore. Like I said before, Bend is getting overran with Californian's and they are screwing things up in that central Oregon town. A shame really.. The way Nosler is going, they won't be around in 10 years.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

A lot of guys think the partition or other controlled expansion bullet is needed. As the op in this thread shows, the good ol Hornady interlock works just fine. I've been using them for years. I shoot a lot though and like using what I practice with. The interlock allows you to do this. There is a reason people call these bullets "the poor man's partition". Think about it.. With Nosler raising their prices like they have and screwing its customers over, I have gone far away from them. I still have a bunch, but don't plan on buying anymore. Like I said before, Bend is getting overran with Californian's and they are screwing things up in that central Oregon town. A shame really.. The way Nosler is going, they won't be around in 10 years.

Bend been overran by Californians since the early 90’s. I can only imagine what it’s like now. Hwy 20 towards burns at one point many moons ago after pilot butte only thing out their was the hospital and sage brush. Bend was a sawmill town but Billy Clinton’s policies on logging in National forest old growth logging shut all the mills down in eastern oregon. I think bend had 5 sawmills at one point. I could see nosler moving their operations to Idaho or Wyoming.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Bend been overran by Californians since the early 90’s. I can only imagine what it’s like now. Hwy 20 towards burns at one point many moons ago after pilot butte only thing out their was the hospital and sage brush. Bend was a sawmill town but Billy Clinton’s policies on logging in National forest old growth logging shut all the mills down in eastern oregon. I think bend had 5 sawmills at one point. I could see nosler moving their operations to Idaho or Wyoming.

Its a shame really. I know old John Nosler is rolling over in his grave right now. His offspring is killing off his business..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (11point, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.