Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by johnn
No reason to shoot 800 yards on a moose.
Get closer, do some actual hunting

Some of you Fudds need to learn how to shoot

Fudds are guys that think the 2nd amendment is about hunting rights and no one should own a AR15.. in short Mary Peltola voters..

how stupid does one have to be to vote for a skeemo, thinking that some indiginass Democrat libtard kcunt is right for Alaska ? just because it's a native ? SMH

about as stupid as the ones who voted for that homo kneegoer for president, just because he was black... twice FFS !

Some white mfkrs have lost their minds and turned traitor to their own kind

aside from that...

guys that can't shoot for sh it will always need a target the size of a bus within 100 yards, so when they shrink back in terror of recoil as they yank on the trigger, they still have hopes of blowing a knee off the moose and slowing it down so they can try shooting at it again .... Alaska is full of these Fudds, just hang out at the gun counter and listen to the stupid that comes through, lmao !

Me you get along just fine in person everything you said is true. My buddy shoots long distance for moose etc. but he shoots all the time. I spot for him at talkeetna, he’s shot 1000yd mstches to see what his gun is doing on moa targets at 1000yds. Most guys talking only shoot 100yds are as you say fudds. I invite folks to come out 600yd matches bring your hunting rifle. Do they come 99% of the time they don’t. 600yds is not that hard, with a decent rifle. The last 1000td match I did it with a 223 lol.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
.30-06 for me

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I started my mediocre Alaska hunting career in 1966. All I have ever used in Alaska is a 30-06 and a .338 Win. Mag. and both cartridges work great, especially with a Barnes TTSX bullet put in the right place at the right impact velocity.

If only one it would be my lightly customized pre-64 Mod. 70 Win. "Featherweight" 30-06 made in 1958. Those wonderful 168 grain Barnes TTSX bullets can do it all, if I put them in the right place.

For about six years I ran a informal survey on the Alaska Outdoors Forum. I asked the responding rifle hunters how far away from the big game animal they were when they fired their all important first shot.

The average shot distance given was about 160 yards.

Agree. Many people go through the ultra magnum teen learning experience. That 120 grains of powder will end the hunt when lessor calibers will fall by the wayside. After 10-20 rifles over 40 years. I have several pre-64 model 70 .308s and .30-06s and Kimber .308 and .30-06s thrown in for back-ups. If that magical animal is 800 yards away and I can't get a shot off. There is always another day of hunting tomorrow.

What I want to end the hunt and go home?

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by CRS
From my current rifles, it would be my Model 70 Classic stainless cerakoted in a Mcmillan Edge stock chambered in 338-06.
Top one in the photo.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Love the looks of the 338-06.

Nice Rifles! Is the Weatherby also a 338-06?

These would be my go-to rifles for Alaska:

My go-to if I only had 1 would be this BSA Sporterized P17, that was sporterized between 1949 and 1953 by BSA and was further sporterized by my father Keith E. Smith with hand carved Ferlach Austrian style stock. The BSA love Winchester Super X in 180 gr. so shells are readily available. Super accurate and everything I have shot with it has basically dropped in its tracks.

The second if I could have 2 choices would be this Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight .300 Win Mag. I replaced the barrel with a Wilson Match Grade, then glass bedded the barrel so it is free floating and now shoots sub-MOA <.25 @ 100 yards. I would use it if I knew that I would be taking longer range shots.

If I only had 1 caliber, I would go with my 30-06.

They are both model 70 classics.

Arcus Venator
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have exactly one Alaska hunt under my belt so my personal experience might as well be zero...however, I have been in the alders with a 20" .35 Whelen and it certainly didn't feel too short. I would not have complained if it was 18" while we were following a piss poor blood trail of a wounded bear.

My Whelen is a cut down Ruger 77 rebore with the standard sporter .30-06 contour. It is a handy setup that is light enough for a sheep hunt and snorty enough for a big brown (I would think). With todays powder options it can get a 225-250 class bullet moving fast enough to do some serious work near and far. Mine is setup with a scope but I also have front irons installed and an NECG ghost ring that lives in my hunting pack that works with the integral receiver mounts. If you have time to remove the scope, you have time to install the irons and it seems to hold zero just fine.

I think the medium bores offer a lot because their favorable expansion ratios minimize velocity loss with shorter tubes. Anything over 22" would be disqualified for me as a "one and done" AK rifle (not that I wouldn't happily carry my 24" .300 WM on an open ground caribou hunt).

I have a pile of niche rifles for future AK hunts but if I am honest I could sell them all and be pretty well setup with just the Whelen.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by buttstock
30-06 is neat until you see a 70" class bull from the top of a hill out at 800-900 yards with absolutely no other shot or way to get closer because of terrain & brush with 2 hrs of light left on the last day of your hunt .....

I sold my '06 and vowed to never, ever be hampered and screwed by some fabled cartridge that didn't have the balls to deliver when it was needed most

What cartridge did you select to take a 70" bull, 800 yards away, 2 hours before sunset?
22LR, you can do anything when yer dreaming
Some have the ability. Some don't. The ones that do have it also know when to shoot and when not to.

If I had that client this year we'd have had a 70 plus inch bull. As it was it was too close to dark and the stalk took too long even though we walked up to his bed. He'd gone wandering in the middle of the long stalk.

That said one caliber for the stuff thats around in AK starts at least 375 caliber in my books.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
guys will shoot animals with a cartridge that expends most of it's lethality at about 200 yards, they shoot pie plate 3 shot groups at 50 paces a couple times a year then shoot an animal from at or under 100 yards, two, three shots before they hit it right, if not... a guide or buddy blasts it = proud "ethical hunters"

we shoot cartridges that have more lethality at 800 yards than yours at 100 yards, we shoot tiny little 5 shot groups at 200 yards you can cover with a dime and have fired thousands of rounds and practiced at ranges out to 1000+ yards in increments and have our data memorized, most if not all long range hunters are DIY in rough mountain country, no guides, no backup shooters, no meat packers, no feed plots or watering holes or fences
sounds like we do a lot more that's real huning

How many of you go hiking into the mountains solo ?Spend time setting up properly and "paying attention to the wind" that part is most important and could force you to move location multiple times, meaning more hiking/climbing etc, moving camp & gear, more days of glassing and selecting your game and waiting for the right moment for the shot, y'know ... real hunting stuff

unlike the slob hunters that jump out of a vehicle and open fire on an animal on the other side of the ditch or from a SXS or 4 Wheeler off a trail or edge of a swamp, nice & "ehical" tracking & getting in close = real hunting, lol !

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heimo Korth has survived decades with his 22/250

As the old saying goes, " it's the Indian, not the arrow"

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 458Win

I now shoot most everything using .243 Winchester with FMJ solids.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
When I started this post I was thinking more along the lines of the best caliber/cartridge to cover what Alaska has to offer!

Something that could handle a big moose or bear, survive the weather and ocean etc.

I guess I wasn’t all that clear.

But I have enjoyed everyone’s input.
Thank You all.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by buttstock
30-06 is neat until you see a 70" class bull from the top of a hill out at 800-900 yards with absolutely no other shot or way to get closer because of terrain & brush with 2 hrs of light left on the last day of your hunt .....

I sold my '06 and vowed to never, ever be hampered and screwed by some fabled cartridge that didn't have the balls to deliver when it was needed most

What cartridge did you select to take a 70" bull, 800 yards away, 2 hours before sunset?
22LR, you can do anything when yer dreaming
Some have the ability. Some don't. The ones that do have it also know when to shoot and when not to.

If I had that client this year we'd have had a 70 plus inch bull. As it was it was too close to dark and the stalk took too long even though we walked up to his bed. He'd gone wandering in the middle of the long stalk.

That said one caliber for the stuff thats around in AK starts at least 375 caliber in my books.
Most of my hunting has been with a 300 H&H, gets a bit heavy on sheep hunts, however there was a time when that was the only CF rifle I owned. It shot well and still does. I know have a 375 that gathers dust, nothing in the interior that I need that for unless I get a bison permit (they should have open season on the plains buffler), even then the 300 would do the job. I inherited the 375 and a buff would be fitting. If I was hunting coastal brownies it would be my choice.
Still, a ought 6 would hands down do it all.
Knowing your capabilities is key, no shot is ever a "sure thing"...

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[quote=Swamplord

we shoot cartridges that have more lethality at 800 yards than yours at 100 yards, (bla, blah, blah)...we shoot tiny little 5 shot groups at 200 yards...
!!l ![/quote]
Seen plenty of guys flinch and miss shooting canons, run what you bring and buys lotsa ammo, practice, practice...if ya cant kill it with a ought 6, you missed.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H

I didn't realize this. Always assumed something bigger. Is that his primary rifle?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Cntrmass
When I started this post I was thinking more along the lines of the best caliber/cartridge to cover what Alaska has to offer!

Something that could handle a big moose or bear, survive the weather and ocean etc.
Hunters today are in an endless search for the perfect cartridge/firearm to compensate for their "LACK" of time afield, hunting skills, and inability to shoot "off-hand". They are skilled paper shooters off of a bench but are lacking in the skill to shoot "off-hand". So called hunters today were not born and raised on ranches or farms, but in some level of urban or suburban environment.

A person today who thinks of themselves as a hunter, are primarily skilled in internet searching to compensate for living decades harmoniously with the species they aspire to harvest. They desire to know where the desired species lives in abundance, the cheapest way to get there, what qualities about that species makes it a trophy in the eyes of their friends, and fellow internet so-called highly skilled hunters. The endless quest for approval of others and in an endless search for being accepted by theme self as achieving manhood.

For far too long society has lacked an acknowledged "right-of-passage" for males to social acceptance of "manhood".

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake

I didn't realize this. Always assumed something bigger. Is that his primary rifle?

Yes

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AGL4now

FMJ?…Frank Glaser loved the .220 Swift for his meat rifle and especially for sheep but he had nothing good to say about FMJ’s even from his 30-06. He almost got ate by the bear that wasn’t impressed with his 147gr FMJ.

Can’t use FMJ here even if I wanted to….which I don’t. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Every time the "long range hunting" conversation comes up, theres always going to be some out of shape fat Fudd who has zero experience nor has anything that can be used for LR hunting making the most noise, not sure where the tantrums come from but can guess that .....
1. Doesn't have a clue how to shoot past 200 yards, then neither should you
2. Can't afford the gear, you shouldn't be doing it
3. Only his way of hunting works, you can't do anything else

Well guess what ? Long range hunting is not illegal and if we choose to set up for a hunt that will present shots from 100 - 1000 yards, it means we have done our homework and are ready ...
our rifles, scopes & cartridges aren't the same as yours

your sub par crap equipment is chosen for the type of hunting you do and definitely will not work for us ...
And all LR hunters can do your rock throwing distance hunting with ease .... but a very small percentage of you guys can pull off shots beyond 500 yards and there's nothing wrong with that, stick to what you know and don't bash what you have no experience in, that's just pure ignorant ranting .... not our fault you suck at shooting, learn how to shoot .... period !

We shoot one n done, wether it's 100 or 1000 yards, our chosen cartridges have more energy at 500-600 yards than what yours have at the muzzle ..... our scopes have 120 moa of adjustments and sit on 20 moa rails, we can dial in beyond 2000 yards, most of you have 2x7 or 3x9 crap scopes that are like looking through a dirty coke bottle & what I've seen is guys unloading their guns into an animal then trailing it for a lengthy time then shooting again multiple times then walking up for an execution shot .....
that's a LOT more shooting at one animal than we do...

I suppose you think you're "hunting and stalking" it to death with multiple shots ....

your personal lack of proper equipment, training & shooting ability limits you to close in "off hand" shots but doesn't automatically make you an "ethical" hunter .... your self proclaimed "ethics" don't extend beyond the halo you think you have

modern firearms, cartridges & optics are capable of so much more than what you are ....

LEARN HOW TO SHOOT !

and quit bashing other hunters, some of you are worse than anti-hunters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every time the "long range hunting" conversation comes up, theres always going to be some out of shape fat Fudd who has zero experience nor has anything that can be used for LR hunting making the most noise, not sure where the tantrums come from but can guess that .....
1. Doesn't have a clue how to shoot past 200 yards, then neither should you
2. Can't afford the gear, you shouldn't be doing it
3. Only his way of hunting works, you can't do anything else

Well guess what ? Long range hunting is not illegal and if we choose to set up for a hunt that will present shots from 100 - 1000 yards, it means we have done our homework and are ready ...
our rifles, scopes & cartridges aren't the same as yours

your sub par crap equipment is chosen for the type of hunting you do and definitely will not work for us ...
And all LR hunters can do your rock throwing distance hunting with ease .... but a very small percentage of you guys can pull off shots beyond 500 yards and there's nothing wrong with that, stick to what you know and don't bash what you have no experience in, that's just pure ignorant ranting .... not our fault you suck at shooting, learn how to shoot .... period !

We shoot one n done, wether it's 100 or 1000 yards, our chosen cartridges have more energy at 500-600 yards than what yours have at the muzzle ..... our scopes have 120 moa of adjustments and sit on 20 moa rails, we can dial in beyond 2000 yards, most of you have 2x7 or 3x9 crap scopes that are like looking through a dirty coke bottle & what I've seen is guys unloading their guns into an animal then trailing it for a lengthy time then shooting again multiple times then walking up for an execution shot .....
that's a LOT more shooting at one animal than we do...

I suppose you think you're "hunting and stalking" it to death with multiple shots ....

your personal lack of proper equipment, training & shooting ability limits you to close in "off hand" shots but doesn't automatically make you an "ethical" hunter .... your self proclaimed "ethics" don't extend beyond the halo you think you have

modern firearms, cartridges & optics are capable of so much more than what you are ....

LEARN HOW TO SHOOT !

and quit bashing other hunters, some of you are worse than anti-hunters
It has zero to do with "ethics", the way you talk you'd think everyone should be a long range hunter. Maybe some of us don't prefer that method and would rather spend a little time trying to actually "hunt" whatever it is we're after, doesn't mean their a bad shot or a so called "fudd" as you like to call them.

And here you are complaining about bashing hunters while at the same time, bashing hunters and yes, some of you are worse than the anti-hunters.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by AGL4now

FMJ?…Frank Glaser loved the .220 Swift for his meat rifle and especially for sheep but he had nothing good to say about FMJ’s even from his 30-06. He almost got ate by the bear that wasn’t impressed with his 147gr FMJ.

Can’t use FMJ here even if I wanted to….which I don’t. 😉

I have shot 14 Alaska Mountain Goats using 55 gr. FMJ 5.56X45 using 16" AR-15. I've shot 7 or 8 other Mt. Goats with a .338 Win. Mag. 210 gr. Nosler. In my experience the effective result was the same. Time between being hit and being dead was as near as I could assess the same.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
"the way you talk you'd think everyone should be a long range hunter. Maybe some of us don't prefer that method "

hit the nail on the head ! it works both ways ...,

except LR hunters don't attack SR (rock throwing distance) hunters on every post, on every website forum, social media etc ....

everytime LR hunting comes up, some 30'06 or 45-70 handicapped Fudd has a sh it fit

Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
556 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.