Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently found one of these rifles in the chambering I wanted and am looking for ideas/upgrades/tweaks, etc. The rifle I bought has the DIP bottom metal that takes factory mags, but I'm considering changing to the Oregon Gunsmithing bottom metal and doing away with the magazine. I'm also considering either reshaping the original stock or upgrading to a different stock, preferably something lighter.

I know that there have been dozens of threads about this rifle in the last few years, but my searches with Brave/DDG keep turning up just the same 2, so I'm hoping that the helpful folks here might be willing to either post some of their own rifles and experiences or revive some old threads.

TIA

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I upgraded mine to the Oregon Gunsmithing bottom metal, and the Stocky's carbon fiber stock. IMO I have too much invested in it for what it is. I have the Grendel, and anyway you cut it, it is basically a cartridge that has limitations. Having said that, it's a very nice handling rifle now, much better than the original configuration.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dang, that's pretty light. Thanks for the pic.

I've been eyeballing that stock myself, but mine has a 16¼" medium contour barrel and I'm wondering if putting it in such a light stock would make it too muzzle heavy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine has the 22 inch barrel, so it was a good fit.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mine has the OG floorplate and one of Wayne’s stocks. Total invested is close to a grand, about what the Carbon Stalker coming here soon costs, but of course that one still will have the plastic guard. Not sure yet what I’ll do about that. The floorplate is better for carrying around, but the mag with the DIP guard and release might be more convenient for targets and varmints, and is usable with a rail if needed.

Pretty sure I’ll be using Warne bases and Mountain Tech rings, so either will do.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes as to what they prefer on any given subject, including guns. I like my bolt action hunting rifles to have classic styling, which means no magazine protruding from below the stock. That was my biggest complaint about the Howa Mini-Action, as I just didn't care the magazine. I really love the looks and feel of the OG bottom metal, and the carbon fiber stock. To me, it turned an ugly duckling into a much prettier bird.

But, to be fair about it, the way it came from the factory was not all that objectionable. I could have lived with the factory magazine, but not the crappy stock. If I was going to keep it and use it, that stock had to go, and then it was only fitting to replace the magazine with the OG metal. Also, my rifle does not feed as well with the OG metal as it did with the factory mag. The Grendel is a fat little cartridge, and I believe that has something to do with it.

If I were buying a Mini for say a truck gun, I'd leave it as it came from the factory, instead of spending a bunch on it to spruce it up. However, that's strictly up the individual, and what they happen to like, and how much money they want to sink in to it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Appreciate the input, Pappy and J.Jr.

Even before I found and bought this rifle I was considering the OG bottom metal because this rifle is intended to be the one I use around the property, whether walking out back to check cameras or stands, or carrying on the tractor and I don't like the carrying characteristics of a protruding DM. It's likely that I'll buy the OG setup and sell the DIP bottom metal.

I also would like to replace the stock. I've seen where a guy can buy a carbon stock as a second and save a bunch, but it's still $300. Since shape and stiffness is what I want to improve, maybe I should look at wood stocks.

I have had a scope for this rifle/chambering in mind for a while. As far as mounting a scope, initially I was thinking about a picatinny base and rings, but after receiving the rifle, which already has a pic base on it, I can see how badly it covers up the ejection port. That's going to be an issue if I go with the OG bottom metal, so I may go with mounts like Talley lightweights or Leupold backcountrys, if they're made for the Howa.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For a permanent setup, consider the Talleys, either the regular or lightweights, or Leupold Double Dovetails. I’m an unrepentant scope-swapper, hence my selection of the Warne bases, which are very low for Weaver-types.

You haven’t said what cartridge yours is chambered for. Fess up!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
For a permanent setup, consider the Talleys, either the regular or lightweights, or Leupold Double Dovetails. I’m an unrepentant scope-swapper, hence my selection of the Warne bases, which are very low for Weaver-types.

You haven’t said what cartridge yours is chambered for. Fess up!
I don't do much swapping, so the Talleys might get the nod.

It's the 300 Blackout, discontinued by Howa. It's not a cartridge that wows me, but I can cast for it, suppress it, or run lightweights at 2,300. As a "ranch rifle" it works for me.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mines a HB 6.5G, I have the DIP bottom metal and bobbed the carry mag and keep a full-size in the pack. I had it in a Boyde's TH stock for some LR shooting but liked it better back in the factory stock.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mines a HB 6.5G, I have the DIP bottom metal and bobbed the carry mag and keep a full-size in the pack. I had it in a Boyde's TH stock for some LR shooting but liked it better back in the factory stock.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Last I heard Wayne was either real low or completely out of magazine springs for his bottom metal conversions. Get 'em while you can!

Medics bury their mistakes..
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got both the bottom metal and stock from Oregunsmithing for my heavy barreled Grendel. No regrets. It is more muzzle heavy than I’d like (12.5” LOP for reference) but I’d do it again. The OEM stock and mag setup were just a no go for me. Considering having the barrel fluted as 2-4 oz off the barrel could make a nice improvement in balance.

Also, I have a picatinny rail. No functional issues with loading/ejecting, but not my favorite look.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the input guys. Some nice looking rifles and good setups for me to get ideas from.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
223 - bought everything used and didn't spend a lot. Shoot as I’d expect a 223 - grrreeat. Few mods, shorten mag and upgraded release.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by vacrt2002; 10/05/22.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by erich
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
I've see you post this (and I think others like it) pic and I get a little envious. What a cool setup for a riding and shooting adventure. Cool!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drano 25
I got both the bottom metal and stock from Oregunsmithing for my heavy barreled Grendel. No regrets. It is more muzzle heavy than I’d like (12.5” LOP for reference) but I’d do it again. The OEM stock and mag setup were just a no go for me. Considering having the barrel fluted as 2-4 oz off the barrel could make a nice improvement in balance.

Also, I have a picatinny rail. No functional issues with loading/ejecting, but not my favorite look.

That is crazy light. Hard to believe that Oregunsmithing is so darned light. Sweet rig.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I upgraded mine to the Oregon Gunsmithing bottom metal, and the Stocky's carbon fiber stock. IMO I have too much invested in it for what it is. I have the Grendel, and anyway you cut it, it is basically a cartridge that has limitations. Having said that, it's a very nice handling rifle now, much better than the original configuration.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
How do you like that stock? I've got a sidejob check coming and I'm seriously considering springing for one.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vacrt2002
223 - bought everything used and didn't spend a lot. Shoot as I’d expect a 223 - grrreeat. Few mods, shorten mag and upgraded release.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice rig! How did you shorten the magazine? Talleys, right?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Who was modding the factory stocks? Was that MtnBoomer? I'd like to read about how he did those? Any remember what thread(s) that was?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (2500HD, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,203
Posts18,466,067
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.