-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Heresy! Something to that account is probably what a lot of you are thinking at the moment, however, I really want to get some more range out of my 71. Of course, I don't intend on bubba'ing a Browning 71 in good condition by drilling a bunch of holes into it and that brings me here. I would prefer a scout scope since I think I would have trouble with one of the offset types. After doing some searching I found something I'd quite like, albeit this one seems to be sitting on a Model 1895, come to think of it, I seem to remember someone on here having one with a scout scope:
[Linked Image from ivanhoeoutlet.com]

My idea is doing something similar to those Turnbull red dot mounts that go on the barrel, where you have a base that fits the barrel contour which is secured by pulling it to the barrel via threaded dovetail filler + screw.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I kinda gave up on the scout idea, so this is a concept for a no-drill side mount for ruger rings. It still requires some refining but I think it could work.

Attached Images
Win 71 Mount concept.png (66.32 KB, 198 downloads)

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I cringe when I see old WInchesters with the holes drilled for the old side mounts.
I am looking for a Win 71 and I am surprised by the number with the holes.
Still hard to beat a peep sight

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blasphemy..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WStrayer
I cringe when I see old WInchesters with the holes drilled for the old side mounts.
I am looking for a Win 71 and I am surprised by the number with the holes.
Still hard to beat a peep sight

Yeah, my buddy bought one for dirt cheap a few years ago because it had holes drilled in the side of it. a 1951 model 71 standard for $500.00. The rifle would have been worth much more if it had not been messed with. As it is, he uses a Leupold 2-7 on it and has to rotate the scope so the turret does not interfere with ejection. So the windage is on top and the elevation dial is on the left hand side... I do agree with Jorge. For the most part, it is "blasphemy". Find a good bolt peep...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Part of the reasons that my 1892 , 1886 and 1895 have peeps.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just installed a Burris Fastfire II with one of the Turnbull mounts on my 71. Got it sighted in and I think that I'm going to like it. No extra holes and it will be a cinch to remove and reinstall the original peep sight if I change my mind.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I recently gave into temptation and bought a Model 71. I didn't want a Deluxe but it seemed hard to find a standard that wasn't drilled for side mount scope. Even a lot of Deluxe models.
A real decent guy sold me his old 1941 Deluxe with the peep sight bolt. Peeps on lever guns are just the best.
Here in PA we have antler restrictions so in the past I have missed shot opportunities due to having to confirm antler point number with binoculars. And for several years I hunted with scoped Marlins.
Going to give the Model 71 a try this year. I hope that I don't have that issue again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep in mind that any scope mounting adds weight while also adding unneeded bulk: all of which detracts\
from the Model 71's inherent grace and fast-handling characteristics. Put your scope on a bolt action rifle.
Don't ruin the lines of a classic design.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Peeps even work in Africa! On Ele, buff, leopard, etc
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Hunting is more fun up close anyhow.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Basically, scopes do not belong on Winchesters or Marlins or even most Henry's. I suppose the BLR is OK with a scope and maybe Henry's long ranger. Seeing a scope on any Winchester lever rifle or a 336 is sort of like seeing see-through mounts on a rifle it is plainly WTF!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just ran across this post that was me that sold you the 71

thank you for the
"decent guy" compliment .

Did you shoot the 71 yet?

Last edited by Mossyoak1957; 10/05/22.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Stith made a mount for the top ejecting Winchesters,
I recently bought one that is for a 1st model K4 which I happen to have.
I'm putting it on one of the modern 38-55 94s as a cast shooter.
Here's one on custom 71 from back when.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 30 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.