Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I know some traditionalists turn their nose up at crossbow hunting, but I enjoy it a lot. Due to physical restrictions, I'm unable to use a traditional bow anymore, so I'm thankful that I can still use a crossbow.

Anyway, I'm just curious what you are using? And the approximate distance you generally hunt and fps you're getting?

Myself, I'm using a Barnett Recruit, which is marketed more as a youth xbow, but I added some 1/4" aluminum extensions to the butt pad of mine to extend the length of pull out better.

So far, it's 2 for 2. With neither going more than about 20 feet.

I checked over the chrony with aluminum arrows and 100 gr Rage points and mine is doing right around 307 fps.

My first was a Barnett Wildcat, but it was wide and heavy, and almost identical performance with velocity, I sold it and took the money and bought the recruit and am much happier with it. I don't recall the width of the bow when cocked, but it's substantially less than the old wildcat bow.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Excalibur Exocet 200. Tried and true, tough as hell, no press needed to service. Pluses outweigh minuses of front heaviness and width.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 380, now discontinued. Don’t know the speed and don’t care. Center of the reticle is 30, next circle 40, next one 50. Wouldn’t try 50 unless I had plenty of time, a good ranging, and no wind on an unaware deer.

I used a red dot for a while, and zeroed at 30 I could do 40 with no trouble with a little holdover, but never got to try it on game. The current scope is a Nikon fixed 3x and very light, so it stays until it craps.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ten Point.

-Ken

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ravin x-bow its loud when shot , but the Ravin x-bow loads and unloads easier than the rest for a handi-cap person

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Raven R29. Stupidly expensive but actually worth it. Have owned 10 point, Excaliber and Parker. Good bows all and killed a lot of deer with them The Raven is like going to a Ferrari from an old Ford tractor. Everything is just faster and easier and the results are amazing. NOTE: I limit myself to 35 yards shots. Limit was 25 with the others. Does not sound like much but you are actually doubling the area covered. This is based on 20+ years of crossbow hunting. FINAL NOTE: If I was physically able, I would still prefer a compound.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Haven't used it for hunting yet, still using my vertical bows, I have a Ravin R26. Very nice, compact, crossbow. As pete53 said, they are loud when shot, no doubt. The trigger in it is nicer than some rifles I've shot, very nice trigger system. I also went with Ravin's heavier arrows/bolts and 125gr expandable broadheads. I went with expandibles because the broadhead does stick out past the end of the crossbow and wasn't interested in exposed razor edges. I've shot it enough at targets that I'm now on its second set of cables and string. The R26 is my only crossbow experience and I am enjoying it, more than I thought I would. It's very accurate and very easy to shoot. I just might end up taking it for a walk through the woods this fall!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Went to a Ravin R10 last year! Dam Fine shooter!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Currently have an older Tenpoint I set up for my father years ago, loud and heavy, and three Excaliburs.......... a 340 Axe, 360 Assassin and an older wide limb Exocet. Of them I prefer the Axe......light, compact, accurate and simple. So far it's 3 for 3 on deer

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i should mention this also my Excalibur is harder to load and for safety sake should be shot with an arrow to unload. but the ready Ravin x-bow loads and unloads so much easier than the other brands and like has been mention Ravin x-bows have a better trigger system too. 46 states allow handi -cap people to use a x-bow during the archery season . Montana does not allow handi-cap people to use a x-bow during the archery . there is a lot of Federal land in Montana why should the state of Montana not follow the Federal handi-cap guidelines so the handi-cap can hunt during the warmer archery season that `s just wrong !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Excalibur is it that requires that? I can uncock mine in seconds using the rope. I used to bring it home cocked, then shoot a field point into a target, but no more.

I load it at my car using the crank, but carry the rope for follow-up shots. Been thinking about packing the crank so I can reload in a tree. Pretty sure trying that with a rope would be my undoing…..

What fresh Hell is this?
johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just shoot a decocker arrow.

I had an old warped worn out aluminum bolt and glued a piece of 38 special brass onto the front of it where the field point arrowhead would have been and shoot it into the ground.

The Barnett doesn't have a decocking button to push. But with or without that feature, works really easily with a decocker arrow.

Last edited by johna1; 10/06/22.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mines a Centerpoint Sniper 370. I think I paid 215.00 for it brand new. It's accurate enough you could head shoot squirrels with it from 40 yards. I'm getting 355 fps with a 425 grain bolt. It's considerably quieter and faster than my brothers Parker and my buddies Barnett. I killed a buck and a doe with it last season and don't see how anything could have worked any better. You can easily decock it with the rope cocker.

johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Mines a Centerpoint Sniper 370. I think I paid 215.00 for it brand new. It's accurate enough you could head shoot squirrels with it from 40 yards. I'm getting 355 fps with a 425 grain bolt. It's considerably quieter and faster than my brothers Parker and my buddies Barnett. I killed a buck and a doe with it last season and don't see how anything could have worked any better.

Yeah, I have came to the same conclusion with mine. I've been fortunate and have gotten a few and they never go more than a couple of yards at the most. I cannot say the same for shooting rifles. I lost a deer year before last and I know it was a good shot. After it crossed the property line to the state forest, that was far as I could legally track it since it's an animal preservation area.

But with a crossbow, it's over very quickly.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m shooting an Excalibur micro 335 with a trigger tech trigger. It’s a great little set up.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Scorpyd Death Stalker 6.2 lbs. All Carbon construction, all titanium components , it has 150 lb limbs and shoots a 465 grain arrow at 385. It does not sound like a gun doing off, it might be the quietest X-bow on the market. I cannot shoot groups with it because I will destroy very expensive arrows . On top of that it has the finest X-bow trigger on the market. Today I shot it and it was dead-on at 20 and 40 yards.POI has not changed in 3 years. You can change strings and cables yourself without any expensive presses or tools.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm shooting a Ravin R-29. It's shooting 425gr firenock bolts with 3 blade Grim Reaper mechanical broadheads approx. 420fps. This combination works really well for me. I killed my biggest Buck to date with it last year. He went about 30yds at a dead run and fell over within site of the shot. I shot a Big doe with it opening weekend this year so far, same results. I got a Good buck on the trail cam. Looking forward to getting back out there in a week or so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still using my old Barnett C5 Wildcat! Heavy…yes! Wide…yes! Slower than some…yes! Deadly, repeatably accurate from 0-65 yards…YES!!! It shoots so good, and cost me so little, I just can’t bear the thought of spending a ton of money on a newer one until this one craps the bed.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Been using a Excalibur Exocet since 2008 when I injured my shoulder....I've shot at least 1 buck every year....

When and looked at one of the new Excalibur bows before hunting season but my Exocet will do just fine.....my bow is on its second string put on it last season.....

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Mines a Centerpoint Sniper 370. I think I paid 215.00 for it brand new. It's accurate enough you could head shoot squirrels with it from 40 yards. I'm getting 355 fps with a 425 grain bolt. It's considerably quieter and faster than my brothers Parker and my buddies Barnett. I killed a buck and a doe with it last season and don't see how anything could have worked any better. You can easily decock it with the rope cocker.
I bought mine several years ago for $189. I used it for several years and killed several deer and turkeys with it but didn’t like the trigger. Payed a guy on Crossbow Nation $90 to work it over and that was money well spent. I can shoot it offhand now with the good trigger.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
290 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 28 invisible), 2,003 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.