Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Hey guys, I have a Remington Model 7 in 300WSM. I've had a devil of a time getting a scope that will hold zero on this thing. It does have a good wallup, so I'm assuming that's the culprit. I had a 2.5-10 Nikon Monarch on it when I first bought it, it seemed to do well, but like a fool, I removed it and went with a 6-24 Monarch. It will not hold zero for anything. Switched it over to a 22-250 and it's golden. So I'm back on the hunt for a scope in the 500-800 range that will withstand the jolt from this rifle. Hoping for some insight from this group. Thanks!!

Last edited by WVTILLIDIE; 10/06/22.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What rings are you running? That could be the real culprit.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

My first thought as well. I’ve had no problems with my 3-9x40 Leupold or my Zeiss Conquest on a .338wm. I’ve got an Athlon 2-12 BTR on a lighter weight .35Whelen but I’ve only got about 40 rounds through it thus far.

If you have multiple scopes not holding zero I’d be inclined to check the bases and rings and maybe swap them out for a different setup. Even on a lightweight .300 WSM most popular brands of scopes should hold zero.

Good luck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ditto on the base/ring check recommendations.

Following that, if you're still having trouble, the Nightforce 3-10 SHV is a solid scope that's worth looking at. It's not a light scope, but it has a fairly short tube and compact size so it doesn't look out of place on a M7.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Goes your rear receiver ring have 1 or 2 holes for scope mounting? Probably better to go with a one-piece base for a Model 7, as the rear of the receiver doesn't leave much room for mounting. It might stiffen up the action a bit as well.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

My first thought as well. I’ve had no problems with my 3-9x40 Leupold or my Zeiss Conquest on a .338wm. I’ve got an Athlon 2-12 BTR on a lighter weight .35Whelen but I’ve only got about 40 rounds through it thus far.

If you have multiple scopes not holding zero I’d be inclined to check the bases and rings and maybe swap them out for a different setup. Even on a lightweight .300 WSM most popular brands of scopes should hold zero.

Good luck.

Good post. My 338wm is 7 pounds, as is 2 of my 300WBY rifles and they are harder kickers than the 300WSM. I run weaver style mounts on all of those rifles and DD's on one 300WBY, with absolutely no issues. When I read the OP, I get a feeling he is using something like Talley lightweights or something like that. Hopefully not Leupold standards. My 1 300 Wizzum wears a cheap azzed Burris FFII 3-9x40:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That rifle is fairly lightweight. Don't know how much the OP's rifle weighs, but I'd be taking a good hard look at those scope mounts and rings, before assuming it is tearing up scopes because its a lightweight rifle, hence "heavy kicker"..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I put several hundred rounds of 300wsm through a rifle with a Leupold 6-18 with no problems at all. I'm sure one of my Burris or Trijicon scope's would do just as well

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Matching mount material with ring material is beneficial. Steel preferred.

I'd recommend anything SWFA.

No zero loss so far, even with moderate to extra terrain, etc. activity.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I ran a Vari-X II on a 300 WM for decades. I have had ring issues.

Last edited by BillyE; 10/06/22.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WVTILLIDIE
Hey guys, I have a Remington Model 7 in 300WSM. I've had a devil of a time getting a scope that will hold zero on this thing. It does have a good wallup, so I'm assuming that's the culprit. I had a 2.5-10 Nikon Monarch on it when I first bought it, it seemed to do well, but like a fool, I removed it and went with a 6-24 Monarch. It will not hold zero for anything. Switched it over to a 22-250 and it's golden. So I'm back on the hunt for a scope in the 500-800 range that will withstand the jolt from this rifle. Hoping for some insight from this group. Thanks!!
And you gotta shoot from 800 yards bubba? Pardon me, but get closer, no need for a 6-24 on any big game rifle.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nightforce SHV 3–10 X 42, SWFA 6X or 3X9, if you can find one, or a Trijicon AccuPoint or credo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldn't fhuqking linger. Hint..........

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

No comment on what mounts and rings you are running?

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Wrapids
And you gotta shoot from 800 yards bubba? Pardon me, but get closer, no need for a 6-24 on any big game rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Running one piece Leupold base and rings. Rings have been lapped. I went with the 6-24 because we often get together and shoot 800-1000 yards for fun.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Running one piece Leupold base and rings. Rings have been lapped. I went with the 6-24 because we often get together and shoot 800-1000 yards for fun.

Hmm. That corelates to my first and second post. You may want to go back and read those. Generally when you have a rifle eating up a scope because of "recoil", or shooting like schidt, the real "culprit" can be narrowed down to the base and rings. Also, when you say "rings have been lapped", you could have also contributed to the problem. Your issue is likely in that system. It needs to be improved upon. I don't like rails on a lightweight rifle, but you could also go that route if you don't mind the one piece mount. Go with something like an EGW (make use of all your mounting screws, unlike the Leupold mount that just uses 1 in the rear) and use some good solid rings. Leupold PRW's are very robust, but something like the Burris Zee rings will suffice. Those are much lighter and svelte looking as well. You are looking for a new scope, but your foundation is flawed. Fix that and then go from there. There's also a good SWFA 3-15x42 in the classifieds right not, if you don't mind MOA. It is in your price range and those are known to be pretty tough scopes.

BSA MAGA
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d be looking at DNZ game reaper one piece.
That’s what will go on my 9.3

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W

Hmm. That corelates to my first and second post. You may want to go back and read those. Generally when you have a rifle eating up a scope because of "recoil", or shooting like schidt, the real "culprit" can be narrowed down to the base and rings. Also, when you say "rings have been lapped", you could have also contributed to the problem. Your issue is likely in that system. It needs to be improved upon. I don't like rails on a lightweight rifle, but you could also go that route if you don't mind the one piece mount. Go with something like an EGW (make use of all your mounting screws, unlike the Leupold mount that just uses 1 in the rear) and use some good solid rings. Leupold PRW's are very robust, but something like the Burris Zee rings will suffice. Those are much lighter and svelte looking as well. You are looking for a new scope, but your foundation is flawed. Fix that and then go from there. There's also a good SWFA 3-15x42 in the classifieds right not, if you don't mind MOA. It is in your price range and those are known to be pretty tough scopes.

Sounds like a plan. I'll change that base and rings up and go from there. I'm shy about picking up used scopes, so I'll likely research that brand and try one out. Thank you guys for the pointers, I'll follow up once the parts are replaced and see how it holds up.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sounds like a plan. I'll change that base and rings up and go from there. I'm shy about picking up used scopes, so I'll likely research that brand and try one out. Thank you guys for the pointers, I'll follow up once the parts are replaced and see how it holds up.

I wouldn't worry about that scope one bit. SWFA has excellent warranty and CS. If anything was wrong with it, they would replace it free of charge. The chance of it being bad is pretty slim though. There will probably be some good black friday deals coming up on them though, if you want to buy new..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve had a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 on my 50 BMG for years it’s never moved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,347 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.