Print Thread
Hop To
B
Buck_ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I just bought a Heym drilling circa 1961. First drilling I've ever held in my hands.

One thing I noticed is the rear sight pops up but doesn't go to vertical in relation to the barrel when the rifle barrel is selected. Is that the way it's designed? When I flip it vertical a spring moves it back to the shown position.

When the selector switch is in rifle mode, it doesn't look as far forward as it should be for aesthetics and I was wondering if that's related to the rear sight position? It seems like all of the "K" and none of the "S" should be visible. The wear marks around the selector makes it look like that's as far as it ever slid forward, however.

I haven't shot it, but everything seems to work fine including safety and triggers.

So should the rear sight be perpendicular when the rifle barrel is selected or is the shown position as it is intended to be?

Attached Images
Drilling sight.jpg (59.28 KB, 93 downloads)
Drilling forward.jpg (41.99 KB, 93 downloads)
Drilling selector back.jpg (39.27 KB, 93 downloads)

Alone in the Fortress of the Bears
70 Days Surviving Wilderness Alaska:
Foraging, Fishing, Hunting
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It should be perpendicular. It's possible that the pin that comes forward out of the receiver is worn, broken, or bent. It's an easy repair for the few gunsmiths familiar with drillings.

You might look to see if it is bent at the tip. Look into where the flat on the barrels that goes into the slot on center top of the receiver for the crossbolt, and push the rifle selector forward to check it. The pin from the receiver pushes a spring loaded rod that extends into the crossbolt lock flange at the top and operates the sight blade. It's a more delicate repair if the rod in the barrels is bent or damaged. I've found the problem is usually with the rod out of the receiver. The rods in the receivers get bent and worn from people constantly closing the gun with the rod pushed out (rifle activated).

The rear sight on my Kreighoff Trumpf Primus does the same thing, but the rifle shoots to the sight with my loads with 140 gr bullets at 2,670FPS in the 7X57R. I think this is just serendipitous, however, and it's worn. I'll get it pulled out at Lee LeBas' shop and check it.
http://learmsllc.com/showroom/

Also, it looks like the rifle selector might be stopping short for some reason. It's possible a Good cleaning of the receiver might remedy the problem. You'll need a gunsmith familiar with drillings to pull the guts out and clean everything.

Many drillings we are getting into the country have been stored for decades, unused, and are badly gummed up inside.

Last edited by luv2safari; 10/06/22.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Buck_ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by luv2safari
It should be perpendicular. It's possible that the pin that comes forward out of the receiver is worn, broken, or bent. It's an easy repair for the few gunsmiths familiar with drillings.

You might look to see if it is bent at the tip. Look into where the flat on the barrels that goes into the slot on center top of the receiver for the crossbolt, and push the rifle selector forward to check it. The pin from the receiver pushes a spring loaded rod that extends into the crossbolt lock flange at the top and operates the sight blade. It's a more delicate repair if the rod in the barrels is bent or damaged. I've found the problem is usually with the rod out of the receiver. The rods in the receivers get bent and worn from people constantly closing the gun with the rod pushed out (rifle activated)...

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Your voice of experience seems to be correct. The rod appears to be bent. Now I need to figure out who can repair it in Alaska. Thanks again!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on getting your first drilling, the Hunter's Gun.

Is it scoped, and what rifle chambering? I'd love to see some pix. wink

I've fixed some bent rods with very fine high quality needle nosed pliers. Push it all the way out and see if you can get to it to bend back for starters.

You might need a gunsmith. Far too many "gunsmiths" bugger the indexed screw heads, so be careful.

If it's a garden variety box lock you can get the butt stock off by taking out the guard screw and lifting the lower tang out carefully, then rotate the guard 90 degrees to expose the other screw. Take great care removing the Greener safety; it's easy to chip the wood around it, since the fit is tight. The stock should come off, and you can look inside.

Use the opportunity to check the stock for occult cracking.

Last edited by luv2safari; 10/07/22.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Buck_ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the good advice luv2safari. I sent you a PM.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.