Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I’d. Spend that 12k on equipment, gas and go figure them out, after six or so years maybe you kill a 6x7 290 and you can say he’s 300, most people wouldn’t know the difference. Then you’d have a trophy.

Shawn

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I love hunting. I love shooting deer. Elk are just a big species of deer. I will never spend $12,000 to kill a deer.

Maybe I’m young and naive,
But give me a DIY hunt for the mangy bulls with little antlers every time.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by scottf270
Just returned from my fourth moose hunt in Alaska. Have taken four good bulls. Thinking it might be time to shift focus to elk. I have only killed one small 5x5 on my own in New Mexico ,13 years ago.

If you wanted to go guided and had say $12,000.00 to spend, what area and guide would you choose. I have no points so landowner tag or voucher or OTC is a must.

I spoke to Mr. Hill from Hill Ranches in Colorado. Any other ideas? I don't want to sound like a horn shopper, but I want to experience one great elk hunt and kill a 300 plus bull.
So what does Hill want to shoot an elk on his place? Eastman's hunted that a lot, can't be cheap.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
around 15 years ago i paid a guide $4,500.00 and got a bull with my bow that scored typical 376 b.c. but i have a spot where my son on public land has taken two nice bulls 1st scored 310 b.c. 2nd scored 380 + b.c. both with a bow we had no guides. public land can have some nice bulls too if you do your homework. Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 10/05/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by UpThePole
https://www.utahelkhunt.com/idaho/

Saw a bull here whose rack hung over his azz,

You're a liar. The world record elk had main beams of 56 2/8 and the number 2 elk had beams of 59 inches. Neither of which would extend past an elk's hindquarters.

He said the antlers "hung over it's azz," which to many (if not most) hunters would mean "above his azz", not "beyond his azz." There's a big difference.

BS. He meant extending past the hindquarters and you know as well as I do that no elk has had antlers that long. Not one of the top 10 bulls in the books has an antler longer than 61 inches. You really expect me to believe he saw an elk in the field bigger than the bull Winters took in AZ or Plute took in CO?

Two points:

1) Top-10 record-book bulls don't necessarily have the longest main beams. There are some listed lower down that have 63-65 inch beams.

2) While that still doesn't mean the antlers "hung over the azz," I have seen quite a few bulls which could scratch the top of their azz when they tilted their head back, whether when bugling or just wanting to scratch their azz. For years I spent some time each fall photographing rutting elk, and not only saw this a few times, but saw far more bulls with "scratch marks" in the hair on top of their azz where they'd done so. Or maybe it was from admiring cows biting their azz?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Elkbelch
I’d. Spend that 12k on equipment, gas and go figure them out, after six or so years maybe you kill a 6x7 290 and you can say he’s 300, most people wouldn’t know the difference. Then you’d have a trophy.

Shawn

Last edited by centershot; 10/05/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by UpThePole
https://www.utahelkhunt.com/idaho/

Saw a bull here whose rack hung over his azz,

You're a liar. The world record elk had main beams of 56 2/8 and the number 2 elk had beams of 59 inches. Neither of which would extend past an elk's hindquarters.

He said the antlers "hung over it's azz," which to many (if not most) hunters would mean "above his azz", not "beyond his azz." There's a big difference.

BS. He meant extending past the hindquarters and you know as well as I do that no elk has had antlers that long. Not one of the top 10 bulls in the books has an antler longer than 61 inches. You really expect me to believe he saw an elk in the field bigger than the bull Winters took in AZ or Plute took in CO?

Two points:

1) Top-10 record-book bulls don't necessarily have the longest main beams. There are some listed lower down that have 63-65 inch beams.

63 to 65 inches still wont extend past the hindquarters. That would take at least 6 ft of antler and you know that elk doesnt exist

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
One time deep in the backcountry of Montana...........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by scottf270
I want to experience one great elk hunt and kill a 300 plus bull.

The two are often mutually exclusive. Me, I'd be after a quality wilderness horseback hunt. I'd suggest a pack trip in the Bob Marshall B&C be damned. The experience of a real wilderness hunt is far more enduring than a pile of bone on the ground.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Maybe a nip o the Irish?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A quick google search turned up these.

This first bull is straight broadside. Gives you an idea of how much bone it would take to reach his ass without any deceiving angles.

Second two bulls have some long main beams. Still can’t reach their butt.

If this ass-scratching bull is out there, someone should have pics.

Attached Images

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Yellow stone has monster bulls.
And talk about a challenging adventure, try sneaking a 350” bull out of a park.
Bet it would get the heart racing!

My sock puppet has a sock puppet!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rekobeez

Pennsylvania has bigger bulls and there are more elk in Rocky Mountain NP than one will see in Yellowstone now.

Many years ago, probably late 80's, my wife and I would go to Yellowstone and photograph elk. One morning we found that some one had killed massive bull and cut off the antlers in Norris Meadow. We contacted the Park Rangers and they copied our videos and photo we had taken the day before. It took the two years to find the culprit. He had finally put the antlers with a mount in Utah.

Interesting data on the Yellowstone elk herd. In1994 there were 19,000+ elk in the Yellowstone elk herd. This was the park and surrounding areas. Wolves were released in 94 and 95. In 2021 the elk herd was about 5800 with about 2000 in the park itself.

If anyone wants they exact figures they can search on Google "Elk herd count in Yellowstone"

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/06/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmm.

Nobody has posted pics of a bull that can scratch his ass.

Still waiting…

I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Hmm.

Still waiting…

Sounds like you need to go to Pennsylvania…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Pennsylvania has bigger bulls and there are more elk in Rocky Mountain NP than one will see in Yellowstone now.

Many years ago, probably late 80's, my wife and I would go to Yellowstone and photograph elk. One morning we found that some one had killed massive bull and cut off the antlers in Norris Meadow. We contacted the Park Rangers and they copied our videos and photo we had taken the day before. It took the two years to find the culprit. He had finally put the antlers with a mount in Utah.

Interesting data on the Yellowstone elk herd. In1994 there were 19,000+ elk in the Yellowstone elk herd. This was the park and surrounding areas. Wolves were released in 94 and 95. In 2021 the elk herd was about 5800 with about 2000 in the park itself.

If anyone wants they exact figures they can search on Google "Elk herd count in Yellowstone"
Rules are no meat waste, cutting racks is for people with terminal cancer.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Hmm.

Still waiting…

Sounds like you need to go to Pennsylvania…

Yes it does.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've seem some really nice bulls in Idaho's unit 54. Getting a tag, though, is a pipe dream. The drawing odds for residents are about 1%, even worse for non-res.

Judging from photos I've seen, bulls in transplanted herds in east have some monsters. They're protected and allowed to grow with limited hunting. It takes a few years to grow really big ones. Again, getting the tag is the hardest part of the hunt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago, a guy who made hunting videos put out a new elk hunting show with a guy getting a beaut with a bow. Shortly after than, some fish cops were watching it, in UT IIRC, and one said he'd been to that exact spot. There were some terrain features he recognized - inside Yellowstone. The park service took photos from the video and found the spot. When questioned, the guy who made the video stated that it was impossible to find really good bulls anywhere else.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Do an ancestry.com test.
I received my results recently. I’m 37% American Indian, that’s Feather not Dot for those not in the know.
I’m pretty sure I can just start shooting elk anywhere anytime I please.

Last edited by Rekobeez; 10/07/22.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 66 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,210
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.