Print Thread
Hop To
I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Ok so where we have our hunting blind it is a borrow pit of 10 acresWe have so many swans that co mingle with the geese it kinda screws up our hunting. Any solutions to this or thoughts of what we do differently? There is a other borrow pit about 5 miles away and the owner prides himself woth swans and habitat, has helped I guess reintroduce them. At times on his 25 acre lake there are 50-75 + swans
Thanks

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Lobby for a swan season.

Until then, make sure you don't mistake a swan for a goose. Swans will go where they want and anything that will scare them enough to leave a place will also scare off the geese. Unfortunately, you are stuck with them.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tundra Swans or Mute Swans?

I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I’m thinking tundra

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If they've been around since spring, most likely Trumpeter swans. Tundra swans migrate from the tundra and this is a bit early in the year for them. I'll start seeing them show up in numbers the last week of October here in Minnesota. Flock sizes are usually bigger than with trumpeters, I've seen a couple hundred more than once but 50-80 is more common. In the spring most tundra swans migrate northward through the eastern states though last year was an exception. Still, tundra swans would go much further to the north.

Trumpeters were once endangered but they have been successfully introduced everywhere. They will probably become the next Canada goose. I probably have 50+ within a 5 mile radius of my house. Trumpeters tend to migrate as family units to small flocks. I would guess the largest flock I've seen was around 30 birds.

Mute swans are domestic swans gone feral. They are far more aggressive than trumpeters or tundra swans and some states have no restrictions on them. I've seen a few here and there but they seem to disappear in short order. Must not be able to withstand predators very well.

IC B2

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took a swan in NC on a draw permit about 10 years ago. Seeing birds that big come into the decoys is pretty cool. I shot a juvenile bird (grey on neck and back) because I was mostly interested in seeing how they ate on the table. It was really good meat. Don't think I would ever shoot another one.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
MD used to have volunteer egg shakers going around the wetlands trying to render the Mutes’ eggs unviable. Goodness knows they wouldn’t want anyone shooting and eating those big tasty birds.

An early sign of how fugged up things were going to get……

What fresh Hell is this?
I
IA_fog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Trumpeter yes!
Couldn’t think of name except annoying local guy famous for helping reintroducing them here has a little “sanctuary lake” for them and geese really screws up hunting around here

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

592 members (10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,796
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.