Print Thread
Hop To
H
hlg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
My wife and I returned recently from two weeks in South Africa ,hunt/touring with CT Safaris,Sabina and Chris Troskie.It was our third trip to Africa all with the Troskies,went previously in 2013 and 2016.CT is based out of Lephalale,Limpopo province.
We flew UAL from the states,had six different flights,one left on time.Just barely made two connections but bags made it ,many horror stories from others.Overnighted with Africa Sky they also did meet greet and gun permits,great folks.Anyone returning through Newark NJ should have at least two hours,three even better.
Tour of Cape Town,wineries,warf, museums took up first four days.Very glad we took the time and enjoyed very much.
Hunt started with crocodile that was located in small waterhole not far from Mogol river. The croc moved toward the bank as day warmed and the shot was taken from 75 yds. we had our first animal.Rifle used was a later Win. 70 Classic (crf) that was originally a .338 Win. Mag.,this rifle was a very finicky shooter. The barrel was cut to 24" sent to JES and rebored to .375,it is now an moa rifle if I do my part.Load used was Hornady brass,F215,Barnes 270 gr. TSX and dose of Ramshot Big Game for very consistant 2600fps.Recovered bullets weighed 265 gr. and were classic mushroom.
Next was buffalo.We were hunting a mostly solitary old bull that had killed two bulls by fighting,time for him to go!A likely track was found leading from a waterhole,the track was followed up and sure enough found our suspect with other bulls.Got into position on the sticks from about 50 yds,I had a double in .450NE with 480gr. Hornady bonded softs,Chris had his CZ .458 Lott with 550gr. Rinos.The bull finally stood after a couple minutes and offered a quartering too shot with right side exposed.The sight picture looked good at the shot,Chris shot as the bull did not react as wanted.Waited ten minutes, not much blood,followed up and found the bull on his feet in some brush at 100 yds.Shot again bull took off and loosed the dogs as there now was better blood.The dogs chased quickly and had the bull bayed up several hundred yards ahead,the fight was coming.Ran forward and one of trackers yelled there he is and he's coming.Sure enough, the bull broke cover at fifteen yards slightly favoring a foreleg but had plenty of steam left.Both shot immediately to little affect,Chris was working on jacking in another round,but the left barrel of the double put an end to the encounter with a spine shot.The bull skidded,rolled to a stop at eight yards,a couple of insurance shots calmed the beast and he was a beast. Well over 1500 lb. and measured 39.5",I think a dugga boy in most peoples book.The Hornady softs were mangled but retained about 60% weight.
Took next day off for jangled nerves,finished with 39.5" sable that turned out to be beautiful but very strong animal.An nyala finsihed the hunt as It turned out to be a very memorable adventure.
Very much appreciate the fine efforts from Sabina,Chris,trackers Samson,Josias and Clive.Hope to share another camp with them again!

Attached Images
Africa 1.jpg (26.01 KB, 952 downloads)
Africa 2.jpg (33.98 KB, 943 downloads)
Africa 3.jpg (30.41 KB, 955 downloads)
Africa 4.jpg (19.31 KB, 944 downloads)
Africa 5.jpg (29.45 KB, 943 downloads)
GB1

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nice!!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on your hunt!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nyala are right there with Kudu for being a beautiful animal.

Congrats on a nice hunt.

MM

S
S
Sounds like a great trip. Planning on more?

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Licking my chops over that nyala and sable. Congrats on a great hunt.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
hlg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
We are tentatively planning a return in 2024.
I'll be 73 soon but luckily have good health ,still have most of my marbles.
Thinking about eland,roan and bushbuck, plus touring.
I would suggest to anybody who would like a little different hunt, try crocodile, didn't know if I'd like it but was very enjoyable.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Congrats on a great hunt! I can’t wait to get there myself!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Exciting buff story. Did the Hornady's penetrate very well. I know they made some bonded soft points a dozen or more years ago that had some penetration issues. After trying them in Africa Hornady went back to the drawing board and did the steel jacked dgx design IIRC.

Is your 375 rebored to 375 Taylor 375-338, or were they able to get an H&H case to fit?

Bb

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Sounds like a great trip and you’ve got some nice trophies. It’s simply amazing what the buffs can absorb.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

H
hlg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
The Win.70 is the plain jane. 338 Win. Mag. opened up to .375,no fireforming involved. JES does a nice job with the rebore and puts a sensible throat length that is appropriate for the loaded rounds.
I regret that I did not checkup with the skinners in regards to penetration when they dug the Hornays out of the buffalo.I think they gave adequate penetration but would have liked more.If there was a next time I would try some 450 gr. Swift A Frames .
The skinners said the lungs were shot up fairly well and
the bull didn't have long to live. I wasn't very proud of my
shooting but this could have been a bull that needed a lot of killing.
Incidentally, our dust up with this bull happened a day or two after the resident hunter was killed by a bull and the PH wounded.
Glad we didn't add to the statistics!

Just came across this thread. Gordon, thanks for posting!

Thought I'd share some more pics of Gordon's animals.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Anyone interested in an adrenaline filled quality hunt for Cape Buffalo or plains game, please feel welcome to contact me.

Chris Troskie
www.ct-safaris.com
Better than sitting in the Office!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Looks like a great hunt. I especially like your choice of animals. I was over hunting the same 4 critters at about the same time. Africa certainly has a way of getting into your blood.

“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTLE ONE FIRST”
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great hunt.

Chris put together a nice hunt for his clients. Taylor made for what a client is looking for.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We flew UAL from the states, had six different flights...

Geeez, that's a trip.

Great hunt!

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Congrats in a fantastic safari. Great trophies taken.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
That's a dream trip. Congrats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 71 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.