Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
You could be correct, I’ve no idea as I never recovered the deer. The bullet was probably moving at ~2k at 30 yards. I guess I thought it would have opened up. I love that gun but I wish I had been using one of my larger bore revolvers for that hunt. I parted with a 14” 7/30 Waters barrel I wish I had kept for a bit more speed.

Shawn

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Robert Ruark: “Use Enough Gun”.

Good book, good advice.

Now, how much gun is “enough”?

Good question.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/07/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TracksWapiti
Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Sounds like more opinions than experience in this case. The only reason I'm going down this road is because 300 blk with modern solid copper 120gr bullets retain 100% of their weight and penetrate the same as 30-30 Win with 170gr CoreLokt (which has killed a pile of elk in the timber).

I'm hunting with a suppressor that is 8.4" long, so barrel length is the main concern here. My 300 blk has a 16" barrel and my 308 has an 18" barrel. Plus 308 seems overkill at 25 yards, considering I've killed elk at 500 yards with similar cartridge.

How is 300 blk any different than elk guides who carry a 243 Win and 100gr Partitions that only have 60% weight retention? The 120gr TAC-TX gets 20-25" penetration in gel at ranges that I will be shooting at.

Not to mention this 300 blk load meets the CPW regs just like the 243 Win ("you must use a rifle that fires expanding bullets with a minimum caliber of .24 cal. or 6mm, a minimum weight of 85 grains that delivers at least 1,000 ft. lbs. of energy at 100 yards")

There is a reason everybody has more opinions than experience, it is because it is a STUPID idea. As long as you want light weight and short length why not just take a .22 revolver and load it with shorts. One well placed shot between the eves should do it!

Last edited by Switch; 10/07/22.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Well I guess conventional wisdom says it can’t be done. Only one way to find out! I’ll post results when I get back and maybe we’ll all learn something new.

I was born and raised in CO. Took my first elk 17 years ago. I used to spot and stalk and now I still hunt/track. The old farmers I hunted with as a kid swore by their 6mm Rem/243 Win because they were more accurate with a light-recoiling rifle. They never shot far enough to holdover above the elk’s back and put one bullet in the rib cage. They used to say “Ya just gotta let the air out.”

I’d be shocked if a 120gr Barnes to the rib cage doesn’t do the trick. I’ll bet this year’s bull tag on it.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/07/22.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
You should have led with that post, it’s much more confident than the first. Obviously you wanted controversy. Good luck to you this season

Shawn

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Sounds like more opinions than experience in this case. The only reason I'm going down this road is because 300 blk with modern solid copper 120gr bullets retain 100% of their weight and penetrate the same as 30-30 Win with 170gr CoreLokt (which has killed a pile of elk in the timber).

I'm hunting with a suppressor that is 8.4" long, so barrel length is the main concern here. My 300 blk has a 16" barrel and my 308 has an 18" barrel. Plus 308 seems overkill at 25 yards, considering I've killed elk at 500 yards with similar cartridge.

How is 300 blk any different than elk guides who carry a 243 Win and 100gr Partitions that only have 60% weight retention? The 120gr TAC-TX gets 20-25" penetration in gel at ranges that I will be shooting at.

Not to mention this 300 blk load meets the CPW regs just like the 243 Win ("you must use a rifle that fires expanding bullets with a minimum caliber of .24 cal. or 6mm, a minimum weight of 85 grains that delivers at least 1,000 ft. lbs. of energy at 100 yards")

Seeing as how I have a pair of 243's with 100g Partitions that have accounted for 14 elk, I guided elk hunters for a few decades (although I never carried a 243 or any other rifle while guiding), and have killed far more elk at less than a 100 yds than I ever will at over 300 yds, I figure I'm plumb qualified to comment.....

I think the TAC-TX would be a good choice of bullet and makes up for a lot of other sins. Like using a 300 Blackout. I have a acquaintance who has killed two elk with a Contender in 6.5 something or another with the TAC bullet. It sounded to me like the bullet opens up a lot more than the usual copper rifle bullets.

I have long preached on here that moderate expansion and deep penetration is the secret to elk. Nobody listens but I still do it....

But...having started following my father elk hunting 60 years ago here in Colorado and beyond, I also know a guy can spend the entire day still hunting through the spruce-fir-quakie elk jungles and never see further than 60 yds, and then break out onto the side of a canyon, side of a mountain, or across a ravine and see elk 400 yds away.

Elk are generalists, you've got a specialty set-up. I certainly wouldn't disadvantage myself with such a rig. If I have a hankering for a bigger challenge I break out the Black Widow recurve with Port Orford cedar arrows.......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well I guess conventional wisdom says it can’t be done. Only one way to find out! I’ll post results when I get back and maybe we’ll all learn something new.

I was born and raised in CO. Took my first elk 17 years ago. I used to spot and stalk and now I still hunt/track. The old farmers I hunted with as a kid swore by their 6mm Rem/243 Win because they were more accurate with a light-recoiling rifle. They never shot far enough to holdover above the elk’s back and put one bullet in the rib cage. They used to say “Ya just gotta let the air out.”

I’d be shocked if a 120gr Barnes to the rib cage doesn’t do the trick. I’ll bet this year’s bull tag on it.
Only one way to find out huh? Soooo….you’re willing to risk wounding that elk, unethically causing it to have a slow painful death…just to see if it can be done?

I’m no better than the next guy on here but I won’t be experimenting on a live animal just for kicks. The animal deserves better than this.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
OP is a damned fool pot stirrer.

Next he'll tell us why Biden is the greatest US President ever.

He's going on ignore, you all should do the same.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the man come and take you away
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hmm. So you post on the fire seeking other’s knowledge but then get butt hurt when everyone tells you it’s a dumb idea.

Almost like you weren’t really looking for advice.

As others have said, you’re just looking to stir up [bleep].

It’s a free country. Do as you wish.

In my experience, thick timber is where, more often than not, you need maximum penetration. But you’re not going to listen anyway, so I’m just talking to the trees.

Have fun. I’m sure you won’t come back on here and tell us when one gets away from you. We’ll only hear about it if it actually works.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Seeing as how I have a pair of 243's with 100g Partitions that have accounted for 14 elk, I guided elk hunters for a few decades (although I never carried a 243 or any other rifle while guiding), and have killed far more elk at less than a 100 yds than I ever will at over 300 yds, I figure I'm plumb qualified to comment.....

I think the TAC-TX would be a good choice of bullet and makes up for a lot of other sins. Like using a 300 Blackout. I have a acquaintance who has killed two elk with a Contender in 6.5 something or another with the TAC bullet. It sounded to me like the bullet opens up a lot more than the usual copper rifle bullets.

I have long preached on here that moderate expansion and deep penetration is the secret to elk. Nobody listens but I still do it....

But...having started following my father elk hunting 60 years ago here in Colorado and beyond, I also know a guy can spend the entire day still hunting through the spruce-fir-quakie elk jungles and never see further than 60 yds, and then break out onto the side of a canyon, side of a mountain, or across a ravine and see elk 400 yds away.

Elk are generalists, you've got a specialty set-up. I certainly wouldn't disadvantage myself with such a rig. If I have a hankering for a bigger challenge I break out the Black Widow recurve with Port Orford cedar arrows.......

Thanks for the insightful post. Yes, this is a specialty setup, similar to my heirloom Marlin 1895 ltd-v 45-70 that’s sitting in my safe in mint condition. I’m running a red dot on the 300 BLK for quicker close-range target acquisition and weight reduction vs scope. I don’t take pot shots at animals. Not even prairie dogs. I will only use this rifle within its limitations, which ballistically appear to be 200 yards max on elk.

Yes, that’s my understanding as well based on researching the TAC-TX vs TSX/TTSX. The former is designed for double-diameter expansion at 300 BLK velocities. The 110gr TAC-TX appears to be the most popular bullet among hog hunters with many videos online showcasing its effectiveness on hogs.

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/08/22.
IC B3

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Must be a popular idea there’s Guys from Colorado posting this question all over the internet, unless all those people are you. I wouldn’t think so, you seem pretty sure of your combination.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My daughter carried my sons cz527 in 76239 one year. We were hunting area where shots Could be 20-150 yards. I had no problem using that in that close proximity As it has ballistic of 30/30.
Your blackout has “muzzle” velocity of 30/06 at 500 or 600? yards with 165 grain pill. which most consider that a stretch for the ol 06..
I’m sure it will work in right situation, Elk aren’t bullet proof, but in hunting things don’t always go as planned.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It’s easy to tell who hunts elk to fill the freezer & who hunts to stoke the ego. I’m sure if by some fluke you are successful you’ll never stop posting about it encouraging more egotistical jackasses to give it a try.

Please let us know how it goes. Since you own a 45-70 & 308 it’s purely an ego thing. You could probably pay a hooker to scream a bunch during & tell you how great you are instead of having some poor elk suffer unnecessarily - but you do you.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Well I guess conventional wisdom says it can’t be done....

I didn't hear anybody say that.

Elk have been taken with everything from 44-40, patched round ball, arrows. Using the 300BO kind of puts you in that same camp, and same philosophy of use. It can work, but a lot can go wrong also.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Well I guess conventional wisdom says it can’t be done....

I didn't hear anybody say that.

Elk have been taken with everything from 44-40, patched round ball, arrows. Using the 300BO kind of puts you in that same camp, and same philosophy of use. It can work, but a lot can go wrong also.

Fair enough. Correction: "Conventional wisdom says it shouldn't be done"

Glad CPW determines what cartridge is legal rather than conventional wisdom. Using the best ammo available for this application will hopefully mitigate things "going wrong."

Last edited by TracksWapiti; 10/08/22.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Elk are very tough animals, can you kill one with 300 BLK, yes but many things can go wrong, rather use something more powerful, wouldn't want to wound it, lose it and let it suffer for a few days and die miles from where it was hit and not get your animal.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Elk

deserve a proper cartridge & clean kill

Big & tough they are

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh

and yes....have two 300 BLK's

An Aero Precision AR & Ruger Ranch

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Despite all the lectures to the contrary, my guess is the round will work fine within its velocity window.

Me - I respect animals and don't view them as a platform to test theories or express ego. Therefore I wouldn't use a cartridge like the 300 BLK. As a "backpack hunter" myself, I like something more like the 6.5 CM, 7-08 or 308 Win. All have sufficient "power" out far or up close for a clean, humane kill, and have a reserve of power when things don't go quite as planned.

My .02

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Oh

and yes....have two 300 BLK's

An Aero Precision AR & Ruger Ranch

Pretty much same/same here. 16" AR, and Ruger American Ranch bolt action. It's a neat little round. Also have a couple boxes of the Barnes 120gr TAC-TX on the reloading bench.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.