Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody squirrel hunting? Post 'em up if you have pictures to share.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got the first blood with my new pcp this morning. It's a Weihrauch HW100S .22 cal. Shooting the 18.13 grain JSB Heavies at 970 fps, put one of them through this ones brain from around thirty yards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Phillip_Nesmith; 10/08/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful .22 cal Philip!

I bought my 2nd pellet rifle last year. When I bought it, I had no Idea how far pellet rifle technology has come since I bought my first one when I was 9 years old that was 53 years ago. I bought a .177 cal and now wish I had purchased a .22 or .25 cal instead.

I ended up buying 6 around six different types of pellets to find out which brand mine liked. Pellet technology has also come a long way since I was a kid as well

Looks like squirrels are in a world of hurt around you and that beautiful pellet rifle setup of yours~

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm hunting squirrels as I type this. I'm at 4 now. But only have 3. The first one I shot I haven't found yet. I think it's laying around here somewhere. The afternoon lull has set in. Need 2 more to limit. This was my second one this morning.

Edit:

I ended up staying until 4pm and never did find that first squirrel. I shot him at sunrise and it was dark in the woods. After I hit him he started flopping around like they do, then he collected himself and ran. I saw and heard him run down into a very shallow dry rivine. The I heard him stop. Figured he was dead. Combed the area three times and never did find him.

There's lots of mast on the ground, but still a lot in the trees. The squirrelsbecame active again around 2pm, but they were in the tops of the hickory trees. Didn't see any indication they were up in the oak trees. But you can't see them except a glimpse here or there, and maybe a shaking branch. But the cracked hickory nut pieces were falling down like rain. The trees here are still fully green, and fully dense. The only trees right now with the hint of color are the cypress. Otherwise, it still looks like summer in the woods.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/08/22.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Philip,

Tell us about that fine-looking knife and sheath.

Thanks, RS

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Taking my cousins oldest boy in the morning. He got a new 20 gauge and wants to get some blood on it.

I am not a fan of a shotgun for squirrels but figure the kid may as well try his hand at killing.

Still a ton of leaves on and squirrels are traveling between oaks and hickory trees. Hard to get em killed with a 22 but I am managing a few.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I'm hunting squirrels as I type this. I'm at 4 now. But only have 3. The first one I shot I haven't found yet. I think it's laying around here somewhere. The afternoon lull has set in. Need 2 more to limit. This was my second one this morning.

Edit:

I ended up staying until 4pm and never did find that first squirrel. I shot him at sunrise and it was dark in the woods. After I hit him he started flopping around like they do, then he collected himself and ran. I saw and heard him run down into a very shallow dry rivine. The I heard him stop. Figured he was dead. Combed the area three times and never did find him.

There's lots of mast on the ground, but still a lot in the trees. The squirrelsbecame active again around 2pm, but they were in the tops of the hickory trees. Didn't see any indication they were up in the oak trees. But you can't see them except a glimpse here or there, and maybe a shaking branch. But the cracked hickory nut pieces were falling down like rain. The trees here are still fully green, and fully dense. The only trees right now with the hint of color are the cypress. Otherwise, it still looks like summer in the woods.

Head shot squirrels do not collect themselves.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Philip,

Tell us about that fine-looking knife and sheath.

Thanks, RS
It's an A. G. Russell Gents Hunter from 1992.

Last edited by Phillip_Nesmith; 10/08/22.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Nice shooting Phil, hope you and the family are doing ok.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello JB; we're surviving okay at the moment. Wife is going to have a parathyroidectomy soon that should stop the calciphylaxis problem she's having. I'm getting the immunoglobulin infusions at home now instead of at the hospital.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Did some test shooting with the HW100 and acouple of H&N pellets. Baracuda Match 21.1 grain which shot acceptable groups, not as good as the 18.13 JSBs; and the 18 grain Baracuda Hunter HP, terrible groups, won't be getting more of those. The JSB Heavies are the champ so far. No hunting this morning, it was raining and the wind is blowing this afternoon. I want to get out in the morning.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
👍

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Hello JB; we're surviving okay at the moment. Wife is going to have a parathyroidectomy soon that should stop the calciphylaxis problem she's having. I'm getting the immunoglobulin infusions at home now instead of at the hospital.

I will have to have that surgery at some point myself, but the PTH nor calcium levels are not high enough to warrant doing it yet. The sestamibi scans haven't shown any hot parathyroids so far. We have one of the best endocrine surgeons in the country locally.

She will feel like a different person after the surgery, it is an almost immediate reduction in calcium levels. Good luck to her it's a pretty simple procedure for a single parathyroid, beats the old surgery by a mile.

At least you don't have to travel to get the infusions, hope you improve.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Her PTH levels are stupendously high. Surgeon explained the procedure as removing all four then reimplanting a small portion of one in a neck muscle, it should reinstate normal function after a while. It's amazing how something so tiny can have such a large affect.

No hunting again today. Rain storms ended early morning and I have places to go this afternoon.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Her PTH levels are stupendously high. Surgeon explained the procedure as removing all four then reimplanting a small portion of one in a neck muscle, it should reinstate normal function after a while. It's amazing how something so tiny can have such a large affect.

No hunting again today. Rain storms ended early morning and I have places to go this afternoon.

Get a second opinion if you can, the scan will show the culprit (s). Seldom are all four bad, they usually only remove the one()s) that are showing on the scan (they almost glow in the film), unless all four of hers have adenomas.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
👍

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You boys playing up the post count with the thumbs, why not put up some squirrel hunting pics? It would be just as easy wouldn't it? I know Rene squirrel hunts from reading his posts. How many here small game hunt but rarely acknowledge it?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Busted two this afternoon with the HW100. Spotted the first from around 30 yards and put a JSB 18 grainer through it's noggin then stood still a few minutes to see if any others were around. Saw nothing and moved around ten yards towards where the first had fallen and a second squirrel hopped into view. Safety off, quick aim and pfffft, number two on the ground. Both young and tender meat, fried squirrel for supper!

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Edit:

I just see one squirrel glOckhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

Edit:

I just see one squirrel glOckhead

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

What, Luther ????

Not content to totally ruin just one forum with your 3rd grade level disruptions ???

Go back to the turkey forum and leave your stench outta the rest of the 'Fire.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,675
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.