Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Judging from photos I've seen, bulls in transplanted herds in east have some monsters. They're protected and allowed to grow with limited hunting. It takes a few years to grow really big ones. Again, getting the tag is the hardest part of the hunt.

There’s plenty of herds out west with limited hunting.

The secret to those eastern bulls is easy winters and no natural predators. Those elk have easy lives. Makes for big racks.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I hear A3 will getcha a big bull, if ya draw a 23 tag…grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Rekobeez
Yellow stone has monster bulls.
And talk about a challenging adventure, try sneaking a 350” bull out of a park.
Bet it would get the heart racing!

Pennsylvania has bigger bulls and there are more elk in Rocky Mountain NP than one will see in Yellowstone now.

Many years ago, probably late 80's, my wife and I would go to Yellowstone and photograph elk. One morning we found that some one had killed massive bull and cut off the antlers in Norris Meadow. We contacted the Park Rangers and they copied our videos and photo we had taken the day before. It took the two years to find the culprit. He had finally put the antlers with a mount in Utah.

Interesting data on the Yellowstone elk herd. In1994 there were 19,000+ elk in the Yellowstone elk herd. This was the park and surrounding areas. Wolves were released in 94 and 95. In 2021 the elk herd was about 5800 with about 2000 in the park itself.

If anyone wants they exact figures they can search on Google "Elk herd count in Yellowstone"

I can't wait until wolves show up in RMNP and eventually slaughter an elk on the main street of Estes Park. The yuppies will have a heart attack.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Some years ago, a guy who made hunting videos put out a new elk hunting show with a guy getting a beaut with a bow. Shortly after than, some fish cops were watching it, in UT IIRC, and one said he'd been to that exact spot. There were some terrain features he recognized - inside Yellowstone. The park service took photos from the video and found the spot. When questioned, the guy who made the video stated that it was impossible to find really good bulls anywhere else.

Wish I could remember that poachers name. He was from Oregon and a archery hunter who was making a big name for himself. A friend of mine was a archery pronghorn outfitter near Maybell. Another friend guided the poacher. Ran into my guide friend a month after the hunt, and he said "something is not right" with that poacher.

In the early 90's he was caught on the Paunsaugunt in December with the fresh killed head of huge buck, a rifle, a bow, and a video camera. Without a license. He had shot the buck with a rifle and then video taped himself with the kill describing how he had killed it with a bow. Among the video tapes in his truck they found another tape of him with a huge bull. One of the Utah officers had done his graduate work in Yellowstone and thought the country looked familiar. Utah sent the tape to the Park Service in Yellowstone and they found the spot and bones from the bull.

That poacher went to the federal pen.

Wish I could remember his name....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Noel Feather

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by UpThePole
https://www.utahelkhunt.com/idaho/

Saw a bull here whose rack hung over his azz, another huge one with palmations like a moose.

It will cost you, but they are there.

This is a high fence deal. At least the one in Idaho.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Utah has some private ranch hunts...link is one I know of

But I'll bet it pushes $12K or more

In my elk hunting years here I've taken three public land bulls with LE draw tags

Being out of the loop now...not sure what the best draw units are out there now

http://tavaputsranch.com/hunts/elk.htm

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
👍 Thanks!

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by PJ65
Originally Posted by UpThePole
https://www.utahelkhunt.com/idaho/

Saw a bull here whose rack hung over his azz, another huge one with palmations like a moose.

It will cost you, but they are there.

This is a high fence deal. At least the one in Idaho.

All of Rulon Jones ranches (Idaho, Utah, New Mexico) are high fence hunts. Those are the only three Rocky Mountain states that allow that kind of hunting.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,035 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.