Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've got a rifle in .223 with a 1:12 twist barrel that shoots 69 gr. Sierra Match Kings in 1.5" groups at 100 yards, but I only get about 6" groups with 60 gr. Nosler pointed soft points (if you could even call them "groups" because they are all over the place. Now, a 1:12 twist .223 barrel shouldn't even shoot the 69's for crap because it supposedly isn't a fast enough twist to stabilize them.
Both loads were charged with 24.2 grains of TAC and loaded to the recommended C.O.L., which I believe is around 2.25" if I recall correctly.
I haven't tried the rifle with lighter bullets yet, but plan to pick up some 55 grain pills of some sort as soon as I can.
What's going on?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd be awfully leery of any 223 that shot any bullet into 6" groups. Something is really wrong there. Never experienced such a rifle. You have more problems than twist rate.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'd be awfully leery of any 223 that shot any bullet into 6" groups. Something is really wrong there. Never experienced such a rifle. You have more problems than twist rate.
But nothing seems to be wrong when it shoots the 69's. ???

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
But nothing seems to be wrong when it shoots the 69's. ???

Except for group size. I have many .223 rifles that shoot better than that at 400 yards. I'd be suspect of the barrel for sure. You are not saying what kind of rifle it is either.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Where are you getting Nosler 60 grain pointed soft points?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You have something else going on. And I would be checking screws, bedding and optics first.

That said a good 'ol 55gr vmax or sp should shoot just fine out of about anything. I prefer the 62gr btsp these days...If your gun wont shoot with those, you have issues

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Where are you getting Nosler 60 grain pointed soft points?
They were given to me by a member here on the 'Fire.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[quote=Triggernosis][quote=bsa1917hunter] You are not saying what kind of rifle it is either.
It's a brand new Browning BLR. I mounted a Leupold 1-5x20 on it myself and thought I did a pretty good job of it when I did so. If it weren't for the good grouping of the 69's I would remove it and re-mount. I may do so anyway.
FWIW, I'm not a novice rifleman or reloader - master level with Service Rifle - I load and shoot thousands of rounds per year in .223 and with my White Oak Armament upper on my AR15 I get boring 1/2" groups all day long at 100 yards. I don't expect a BLR to match my White Oak, but something seems to be amiss with the 60's. They are "factory seconds", but I shoot "factory second" 52 Hornady's in my AR15 in practice at 100 yards all the time without issue.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A 223 BLR would be a neat rifle!

1.5" groups at 100 for a .223 isnt exactly great either. I wouldnt be concerned about the bullets being factory seconds.

Load up some of those 52's that you have, and see what happens

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mud_bogger

1.5" groups at 100 for a .223 isnt exactly great either. I wouldnt be concerned about the bullets being factory seconds.

Yeah, I agree. The crosshairs on the scope were thicker than the dot I was shooting at, so I may have to play around with a gridded target to get things right next time. Plus 5X power is a little bit of a hindrance too. Heck, I may just take the scope off and try it with open sights for a few rounds and see what I get.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I dont really shoot paper all that much, Not into high x scopes either... I have always done better shooting at the corner of something. Kinda bracket the corner with both crosshairs.

Last edited by mud_bogger; 10/03/22.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Yeah, I agree. The crosshairs on the scope were thicker than the dot I was shooting at, so I may have to play around with a gridded target to get things right next time. Plus 5X power is a little bit of a hindrance too. Heck, I may just take the scope off and try it with open sights for a few rounds and see what I get.

Make the effort to get the right target for your reticle/magnification combination, it makes a real difference.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

Make the effort to get the right target for your reticle/magnification combination, it makes a real difference.
Any recommendations?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
try this target:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Any recommendations?

I just use a piece of blank paper on cardboard. gives you 4 corners to shoot at

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mathman

Any recommendations?

A large + sign with the line thickness adjusted to your reticle works well.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any recommendations?

I just use a piece of blank paper on cardboard. gives you 4 corners to shoot at
Now that's about as simple as it gets. And functional.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Regarding proper targets: It's sad that 10 years ago, when my eyes were younger, I could shoot 1/2 groups with my WOA upper with open sights - and I mean the P.O.S. open post sights on my Service Rifle. About the time my eyesight started going south scopes began being allowed in Service Rifle competitions, so I thought it would be nirvana. Unfortunately, with a scope, I have only tied my best score that I shot with open sights.
Two lessons I learned: 1) scopes don't make you a better shooter, and 2) aging sucks. 😄

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
you get that thing sighted in yet?

Last edited by mud_bogger; 10/08/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Regarding proper targets: It's sad that 10 years ago, when my eyes were younger, I could shoot 1/2 groups with my WOA upper with open sights - and I mean the P.O.S. open post sights on my Service Rifle. About the time my eyesight started going south scopes began being allowed in Service Rifle competitions, so I thought it would be nirvana. Unfortunately, with a scope, I have only tied my best score that I shot with open sights.
Two lessons I learned: 1) scopes don't make you a better shooter, and 2) aging sucks. 😄

Irons are kind of cool that way, and you are right about eyesight. Since you brought up AR's and how well yours shoots, this is the only one of mine set up with irons. They are flip up's, but they work well..

Less than 1/2 moa for 4 shots in the rain. And since we are talking 69gr SMK, that is what I was using that day. That rifle shoots the same with a scope as it does with irons. In the black rifle challenge here, It held the best iron sight score of 1.085 moa with the 69smk.

Here's the first sentence regarding that bullet from Sierra:
Designed for Service Rifle competition in the M16A2/AR-15A2, our 22 caliber bullets have set an incredible number of new national records.
No wonder it works so great in my old bushy 20" HBAR:

mathma's suggestion for using the correct size target for the reticle is important. I don't know the accuracy/precision capabilities of your rifle (BLR). Never messed with one. Maybe they are just mediocre shooters???

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (160user, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,788
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.