Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I recently acquired an old Colt 1911 in 22LR. Front and rear sights are painted beige, and my old eyes struggle to pick them up in dim or bright light.

Most of my guns have black front and rear. The SBH hunter has bright orange in the front. One has a red FO, one has a green FO. I like the FO really well, but am not going that way on this Colt at this time.

If it were cut for Novaks, I would put on a Novak FO.

A full selection of sight paints came in yesterday. Red, Orange, Fluorescent Green, Black, White.

I am thinking black on the rear, and Orange on the front, or possibly White on front.

Any suggestions? Comments?

Will White on front make it tough to see daylight between front post and and sides of rear notch?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I like black front and rear for targets, and black rear with FO front for field use. I do see the Trijicon white dot/tritium insert night sight well in most conditions but really struggle with the white ramp on a LCRx. Based on that, I don't think I'd paint a front ramp white.

The red/orange ramp front sight with black rear on my Python is easy to see in most conditions, so I guess if I was painting the front sight, I might do something like that.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've used;

1.) white on the front... not good in snow or on a white background target.

2.) yellow on the front

3.) used to have one of the magnaport sets of colored plastic sights for my Redhawk. Surprised me that blue stood out well with no downsides.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
For just shooting targets nothing beats black, front & rear but if you are older and using in the field, a front that is first painted white, then dried, then painted orange is by far the best. If you just go orange without the white underneath it will appear dark in the shadows, that's why you need the white first. Good luck!

Dick

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I painted the rear sight on my Ruger LCP white and the front a neon green. It is a dramatic improvement. On my S&W M-69, I changed the front sight to a Hi-Viz green fiber optic. Great improvement for my older eyes. The green is very easy to see and focus on quickly, much more so than red or orange, to my vision.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got some fluorescent green paint, found it in the fishing tackle section of Sportsman’s.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Flourescent orange nail polish for the front ramp. I leave the rear alone.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We have a couple of little Ruger LCP’s in 22 LR. Nice little guns, but the sights suck in poor lighting!

I used an model airplane paint (epoxy) a bright yellow on the front sight…..quite visible. My kit didn’t have white, so I used typewriter correction fluid to outline the rear. Pretty pleased with the results! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks for the suggestions.

Might give the hi-vis green a shot for the front and black out the rear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to beat flat black if the light is good. I like to take a piece of masking take, set it on fire and use the soot to black out the sights. Not very durable but an excellent flat black finish. I have trouble with red or painted sights, if I can't see black then a red dot is what my old eyes needs.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Picked up a Glock 43x with fiber optic sights, yellow rear and green front. Great visibility.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a firm believer that, barring a gold bead, ALL front sights should be fluorescent orange. wink

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I repainted sights on four handguns last night.

Two Kimber 1911s (3" 9 mm and 4" 38 Suoer) have white dots front and rear. The five" Kimber 1911 in 10 mm already has FO. I left them alone. The colt 22 got a bright green line up front and I blacked out the rear. (Black Krylon into a plastic teaspoon & a toothpick) It seems to work well in the house.

Several revolvers got the front sight repainted. The S & W 657 Mountain Gun had a hint of yellow up front. It now has a heavy coat of hi-vis orange, as does the Tracker Titanium in 41 and a 5.5 in bisley Single Six.

The SP 101 and the Single Seven, both in 327 already have FO also.

The only thing left in question is an LCR in 327. It has a black rear sight with a white bar in front. I may paint it in the future.

I used "Super Bright" paint pens from Birchwood. The paint flowed a bit easier than I originally expected. But was easy to clean up with a Q-tip and 91% isopropyl.

Once I figured out the application technique, they were easy to use. I applied three coats to sights which were heavily serrated.

Paint pens are available from Amazon, reasonably priced.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I fixed up front sight a bit to see it better:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

With good light it shows up real well against black rear notch.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Slavek
I fixed up front sight a bit to see it better:

With good light it shows up real well against black rear notch.

LMAO ! Didn’t want anyone to see your Airsoft Pistol ???
Dumbass ! 😂😂😂

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Slavek

Images you steal off Google don’t count either.

Bout time for you to change Diapers's, though. 😂😂😂

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
A simple google image search reveals about a million six pics of guns on red cloth world wide.....
And then links...
Ain't that right Slavek Cardonas.....

🤣🤣🤣🤣

0 cred for you again...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot
Hard to beat flat black if the light is good.

After lots of trial, and error, this is the camp I'm in. As black as you can get 'em. wink

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Black for me. I’ve blackened the front sights on my stainless handguns.

Last edited by navlav8r; 10/09/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.