Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
I have a Brittany and have had just normal
bur issues until today. He is about 15 months old so this is his second season.

My guy get wrecked today though and my wife and I spent a while getting him squared away after I got home. So, my question is, should I get him a haircut now for the season to limit it? Or just deal with it as it comes?

Thanks!

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ShowSheen and comb. Keep it in your truck tool box.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clip before hunting helps a LOT

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
ShowSheen and comb. Keep it in your truck tool box.

Good tip! The guy that runs the club I go to told me the same thing and I bought it on my way home yesterday. Worked very well!

Originally Posted by Reba

I think I’ll do that as well. I was debating because I didn’t know if it was a good idea for winter.

Thanks for the replies!

D
OP Offline
D
This is zoomed in and screenshot from a different photo of him yesterday. Behind his ears were balls of burs!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Show sheen and one of these. $2.99 at IFA.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have English setters and I typically trim up the feathering and longer hair around the ears and tail. I leave the body alone as I believe the guard and undercoat can get a little thin if trimmed too close to winter. The temps are expected to drop to the 20s later this week though it is a good 4 weeks early for here.

I also use Showsheen and several different brushes and combs as some work better on some snarl types than others. I also keep a pair of scissors and electric razor handy.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I trim them up farily tight...They already have enough issues with their balls dragging thru the briars without having to put up with stickers under their pits, chest and belly. Seen them glow cherry red when they have to plow thru snow. Damned if you could get most of us to go there.

Snow is the worst when it starts balling up on hair. The longer it is the worst it gets.....The Toby had little quit in him.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by battue; 09/30/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by battue
I trim them up farily tight...They already have enough issues with their balls dragging thru the briars without having to put up with stickers under their pits, chest and belly. Seen them glow cherry red when they have to plow thru snow. Damned if you could get most of us to go there.

Snow is the worst when it starts balling up on hair. The longer it is the worst it gets.....The Toby had little quit in him.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Wow!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Reba

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

My Brit always got a tight trim before season.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Running shorthairs only makes sense when you run them next to brits, setters, and wirehairs.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I use cowboy magic, when I remember it. Can pull most with my hands. Keep some scissors in the truck for bad spots.

I’m sure if I paid more attention to her coat before hand it’d save me a little time on the back end. Either way, gonna pay to play.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This has been discussed before. There are times my GWP's fur gets darn full of the evil sticky leaf plant aka Pega Ropa. (a type of sticky plant proper name Mentzelia Desertorum)

I wade through the tangled plants starting low and working upwards with a wide gap metal comb. By the end of the mearns season the dogs loose hair but I prefer this way to cutting off their hair before the season.

Last year was the worst. There are two dogs in this pic. One friend said it looks like they are wearing ghillie suits:

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Made a thread about this plant last year
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...that-sticky-plant-is-called#Post16997003

Last edited by Azshooter; 10/09/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
393 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.