Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have thoroughly wrung out around a dozen 6.5 Creedmoors, half that I owned, and others loaned to me for reviews in various magazines. The most accurate was a Ruger American Rifle Predator--its very first 100-yard group measured .33 inch, and that was 5 shots, not 3. It was a handload that had shot well in other rifles--NOT something "worked up" for that specific Ruger.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B6

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've not assembled a new 264 Kreed,since this evening. They meld Sig Kilo6's nicely. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have thoroughly wrung out around a dozen 6.5 Creedmoors, half that I owned, and others loaned to me for reviews in various magazines. The most accurate was a Ruger American Rifle Predator--its very first 100-yard group measured .33 inch, and that was 5 shots, not 3. It was a handload that had shot well in other rifles--NOT something "worked up" for that specific Ruger.
I've had about half as many as MD but mine have only been Tikkas (T3x blue, T3x SuperLite, T3x CTR) and Ruger Predators (American, Hawkeye). Of my 6.5CM rifles, the accuracy title would go to my 24" CTR followed very closely by the American Predator. But every one of those rifles was sub-moa so accuracy was not an issue. However, handling qualities and triggers were. IMO, in current production today in terms of bang for a buck, there is no better general purpose, out-of-the-box hunting rifle than a stainless T3x Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor for non-dangerous N.American big game.

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I was looking for a 6.5this past Spring. Local shop had 3, a Ruger American for $549, Tikka T3x for $599, and a Begara for $649. Ended up with the Tikka and think I did ok. In my opinion the Ruger wasn’t in the same league as the other two for a little bit less money. Couple of $hundred less yes but not $50

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by JDK
I was looking for a 6.5. Local shop had 3, a Ruger American for $549, Tikka T3x for $599, and a Begara for $649. Ended up with the Tikka and think I did ok. In my opinion the Ruger wasn’t in the same league as the other two for a little bit less money. Couple of $hundred less yes but not $50

I have a RAP in 6.5 and it shoots very well. But $50 more for a Tikka is a no brainer for sure.

IC B2

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
This wasn’t the Predator which was on my short list. Only place that had them somewhat locally was Dicks Sporting Goods and I believe but not certain they were in the $575ish range.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Seems to me the Creed creates a lot of animosity among those who feel their fav round is being challenged, those who jealously don't have one and those who don't like idea of something new or different. Those are the Cons.

Pros: It's a great round with great ammo on dealer's shelves that will often out shoot one's best handloads. That's also an affront to conventional wisdom, handloads always beating factory load.

And the ammo isn't overly expensive. And, relatively inexpensive guns in dealer's racks that can, out of the box, often outshoot expensive custom rifles, another affront to one's manhood.

So, it can be a challenging, disruptive round to some, a great round for others.

I happen to be a fan.

Just my opinion.

DF
This. Call me a fan, too.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.697 BC magfed Smooches,do not suck. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Forced Induction is Sanctioned. Hint............

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Whatever Remington calls itself this week is making the 700 ADL in 6.5 Creed. In western Washington, they go for about $600.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MT_DD_FAN
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've had about half as many as MD but mine have only been Tikkas (T3x blue, T3x SuperLite, T3x CTR) and Ruger Predators (American, Hawkeye). Of my 6.5CM rifles, the accuracy title would go to my 24" CTR followed very closely by the American Predator. But every one of those rifles was sub-moa so accuracy was not an issue. However, handling qualities and triggers were. IMO, in current production today in terms of bang for a buck, there is no better general purpose, out-of-the-box hunting rifle than a stainless T3x Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor for non-dangerous N.American big game.

Great post. I have had the same experience. Plus I'll throw in a Performance center AR 6.5 Creedmoor and slightly worked over Cabela's exclusive 12FV to the list. All rifles shoot lights out. My buddy has a Predator and all of my rifles walk all over it. He likes cheap azzed rifles and the newer (even rifles from 5 years back) Rugers have QC issues. Every RAR he's bought has had some issue. From poor chamber that chews up his brass to bad crowns. Take that for what it's worth. I'll take a Tikka any day of the week and twice on Sunday vs. a Ruger. We don't get the benefit of Ruger cherry picking our rifles and sending one to us to test, so I guess there's that too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
We don't get the benefit of Ruger cherry picking our rifles and sending one to us to test, so I guess there's that too.

You might want to know more about how John came into possession of the Ruger 6.5s he's tested before making comments appearing to try and throw shade on the credibility of his reporting.

He bought the Hawkeye that shot so well right off the rack at a local store. He also bought the later Predator, bit I don't recall the details on that one.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
We don't get the benefit of Ruger cherry picking our rifles and sending one to us to test, so I guess there's that too.

You might want to know more about how John came into possession of the Ruger 6.5s he's tested before making comments appearing to try and throw shade on the credibility of his reporting.

He bought the Hawkeye that shot so well right off the rack at a local store. He also bought the later Predator, bit I don't recall the details on that one.

So you are saying he doesn't have rifles and ammo sent to him for testing? You always want to say Savage have crap barrels, but I've seen far more schidt regarding QC with the RAR than I have any other rifle manufacture. I buy all of my rifles and the ones that are cheap as hell, my buddies buy so I report what I see with those rifles. Some things like to get swept under the rug. I could care less how accurate a rifle is, if it has major issues like I've seen with Ruger RAR's. Ruger also does not handle warranty issues like Savage for example. My buddies have had to send in Savage rifles and they always treat them well. That is very cool if JB found a diamond in the rough and actually had to pay for it himself..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The CVA Cascade is one to look at. I had one , briefly, in 6.5 PRC that shot OK, not as tight as I wanted, but still a good rifle. Their trigger is really nice, they feel good in your hands, and they are pretty weatherized. I grew up in Liberty County, so yeah, it really rains down there! Have a ball pard!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by mathman

So you are saying he doesn't have rifles and ammo sent to him for testing? You always want to say Savage have crap barrels, but I've seen far more schidt regarding QC with the RAR than I have any other rifle manufacture. I buy all of my rifles and the ones that are cheap as hell, my buddies buy so I report what I see with those rifles. Some things like to get swept under the rug. I could care less how accurate a rifle is, if it has major issues like I've seen with Ruger RAR's. Ruger also does not handle warranty issues like Savage for example. My buddies have had to send in Savage rifles and they always treat them well. That is very cool if JB found a diamond in the rough and actually had to pay for it himself..

Don't put words in my mouth. I wrote exactly what I wrote to address a specific point. That's it.

My ongoing ribs about Savage barrels are mostly in fun, but they do have a basis in several cro-mo ones I've run across. One in particular was horrific.

I also have experience with Ruger QC issues.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
As per the OP's request, we've read several pro's for Creed. But can't recall any con's. I have 2.

- The 6.5 Creedmoor cannot live up to some of the expectations of the unknowing.

- And for some reason, it's a trouble maker cartridge. Just the mention of it starts an argument every time. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"The 6.5 Creedmoor cannot live up to some of the expectations of the unknowing."

Could you elaborate?

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
So how does the creed fill the gap between the 243 vs 270

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by southtexas
"The 6.5 Creedmoor cannot live up to some of the expectations of the unknowing."

Could you elaborate?

The unknowing for possibly lack of a better word, or just IMO, think it capable of killing huge critters far beyond average ranges with one shot, DRT, pole axe kills.

Or were yo referring to con #2 & want to Argue? shocked

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No. As quoted, I was curious about con#1. You clarified it. Thanks. No interest in arguing...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
696 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.