Originally Posted by mud_bogger
you get that thing sighted in yet?
I hope to tomorrow. πŸ‘

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
you get that thing sighted in yet?
OK gentlemen, here's what I got figured out on this BLR. It shoots pretty decent groups (around 1") IF you let it cool off between shots after the first two shots.
I loaded up some 52 and 60 grain bullets that I know shoot lights-out in my heavy-barreled White Oak floated upper and put the BLR through it's paces. I would fire 3-round groups and my buddy that was spotting for me through the spotting scope would growl in dismay on every third shot. In between my shooting we were messing around with his 22 Mini-magnum Marlin (a short barrel 22 mag rifle), allowing my BLR to cool down a bit. Every time we would go back to my BLR it would stack the first two shots within 1" of one another and the 3rd shot would be low and left by 2"-3".
I guess I've just been spoiled by my White Oak match grade free-floated barrel, which will stack rounds on target all day long regardless of how hot the barrel gets.
I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the BLR or not. It's accurate enough if you take your time shooting, but it's no prairie dog town varmint rifle.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 10/09/22.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Now I'm curious about the 60gr Noslers and if they'll be accurate enough for deer. You'll likely only get 1-2 shots at a time..

Good luck!!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colodog
Now I'm curious about the 60gr Noslers and if they'll be accurate enough for deer. You'll likely only get 1-2 shots at a time..

Good luck!!
It was the Nosler 60's I was shooting today. Yes, they are accurate enough to get it done on a deer - at 100 yards, at least. 😏

Last edited by Triggernosis; 10/10/22.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Seems somebody on here pulled the barrel band and floated the forend a blr a while back

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The accuracy of the 60 gr Partition was never anything stellar, in any gun.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

β€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Regarding proper targets: It's sad that 10 years ago, when my eyes were younger, I could shoot 1/2 groups with my WOA upper with open sights - and I mean the P.O.S. open post sights on my Service Rifle. About the time my eyesight started going south scopes began being allowed in Service Rifle competitions, so I thought it would be nirvana. Unfortunately, with a scope, I have only tied my best score that I shot with open sights.
Two lessons I learned: 1) scopes don't make you a better shooter, and 2) aging sucks. πŸ˜„

Irons are kind of cool that way, and you are right about eyesight. Since you brought up AR's and how well yours shoots, this is the only one of mine set up with irons. They are flip up's, but they work well..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Less than 1/2 moa for 4 shots in the rain. And since we are talking 69gr SMK, that is what I was using that day. That rifle shoots the same with a scope as it does with irons. In the black rifle challenge here, It held the best iron sight score of 1.085 moa with the 69smk.

Here's the first sentence regarding that bullet from Sierra:

Designed for Service Rifle competition in the M16A2/AR-15A2, our 22 caliber bullets have set an incredible number of new national records.
No wonder it works so great in my old bushy 20" HBAR:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

mathma's suggestion for using the correct size target for the reticle is important. I don't know the accuracy/precision capabilities of your rifle (BLR). Never messed with one. Maybe they are just mediocre shooters???

Right on cue.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nosier bullets are probably not going to shoot with a Sierra. Sierra and Berger are the best shooting factory bullets. Hornady is 3rd and nosler behind that. I get more flyers with noslers across the board

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nosler lists data for the 60 gr BT using a 1:7" twist test barrel. Maybe they know something - then again, maybe not.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Folks who actually shoot,savvy that weight is all but moot and it's all about projectile length,whe factoring stability. Hint.

The Nuzzler 60gr NPT is .790" long. The Nuzzler 60gr NBT is .858" long. The Nuzzler 64gr NPT is .800" long. It'll "surprise" nobody that shoots,that the 60 NBT requires more gross RPM. The Nuzzlers as a whole,are an easy pass. Hint.

Just sayin'............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Folks who actually shoot,savvy that weight is all but moot and it's all about projectile length,whe factoring stability. Hint.

The Nuzzler 60gr NPT is .790" long. The Nuzzler 60gr NBT is .858" long. The Nuzzler 64gr NPT is .800" long. It'll "surprise" nobody that shoots,that the 60 NBT requires more gross RPM. The Nuzzlers as a whole,are an easy pass. Hint.

Just sayin'............
So for a slow twist barrel like a 1:12 one should be looking for as short a bullet as possible, regardless of weight?
If that's the case, then a boat tail bullet may work well if you want to get the weight up while keeping the bearing surface shorter. Or is it the overall length that matters, not the bearing surface?

Last edited by Triggernosis; 10/15/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would simply Start At The Fhuqking Start,if only as per always. I'd MEASURE the ACTUAL twist rate and go from there,as an opening move. Hint.

Nuzzlers would be amongst the LAST projectiles I'd use,to factor the inherent aptitude of a platform. Hint.

What's the application? Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,132
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.